Start by marking “Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)” as Want to Read:
Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)

Introducing Existentialism (Introducing Series)

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Richard Appignanesi goes in personal quest of Existentialism in its original state. He begins with Camus' question of suicide: 'Must life have a meaning to be lived?' Is absurdity at the heart of Existentialism? Or is Sartre right: is Existentialism 'the least scandalous, most technically austere' of all teachings?
Paperback, Third Edition, 176 pages
Published January 26th 2002 by Icon Books (first published February 19th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Existentialism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Existentialism

Sarika Patkotwar
I had first developed an interest in existentialism when we studied- and no one is going to be surprised by this- Albert Camus' The Stranger in our twentieth century French literature class. At that time, I just put the word "existential" in the dictionary, hoping it would suffice. No prizes for guessing that it didn't. It was only a little later that I actually bothered looking it up online. During my state (pun intended) of finding out more about the concept and the theory, I came across Intro ...more
Lorraine
This was a good read, but isn't exactly an introduction to existentialism. The graphics were super fun and amusing. I'd say it's important to have a quazi-handle on Husserl, Heidegger, and Sartre as a minimum before cracking the cover. Otherwise, keep your internet on and plan on some between the lines research. In summary, it's not tightly wound but is still enjoyable.
Em
stupid book. didn't finish it.
Margarita Ri
This is NOT an introductory book. This is a book for someone who knows a lot about existentialism and wants to refresh his memory with some fun and lite reading. I think the 'introducing' in the title is misleading , which is a pity because I can see that the author makes a great effort.
Jonathan Nash
All over the place (but that was the intention, I figure). Personally, I was looking for something with clean, easy-to-digest syntax and vocabulary to compliment my reading experience of "Being and Nothingness". Gary Cox's "Sarte, A guide for the perplexed" does a much better job of introducing and clarifying existentialism (surprisingly without sacrificing the potency and complexity of Sarte's work). Bleh at best.
Josh Casto
This "Introducing" series is alright. The Introducing Heidegger book was definitely a concise overview of his philosophy. Introducing Existentialism was more complex. Appignanesi discussed Husserl, Heidgger and Sartre in bits and pieces, stitching convergent threads of their philosophies to create "a nameless philosophy." His summary of the "unidentified convergence in [the] trio's antagonism" - he suggests "existential phenomenology" - in the last two pages is really what you should read first. ...more
Tine!
Can we put 'introducing' in all caps 'INTRODUCING'....oh, wait, it is in all caps. Good. This book has the right intentions, but executes them in a too-tight amalgamation of nearly every major philosopher even cursorily related to the idea of existentialism, and, suffice to say, it ends up meandering amuck in its own 'intentions'. Having said that, it does lay down some nice, bold-lettered words and philosophers for you to expound upon in your personal research! How nice!
Folmus
Even though its part of the "introducing" collection this is no light read. The illustrations do help the reader understand and approach complex themes such as existentialism. The question what is existentialism isn't answered in a direct or straightforward manner.
Amy
Two in a week that I put down without finishing. I've liked some of the other books in the "Introducing" series but this one makes no sense. Trying to read it was an existential experience in itself, so that's worth something I guess.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
it read like poetry at times---non-discernible poetry. other times it was super theory rich. pretty hard to get through--wish the transitions were easier and it was better explained. but maybe not? im not even sure anymore.
Brad Kittle
thought the book started without much introduction and used undefined terms with twist and starts and meanderings. Not a very good introductionary book.
Vikas Datta
Quite a comprehensive and illuminating guide to a crucial method of investigating the human condition....
Jono Balliett
This book helped me understand existentialism and broke me of my adoration for it.
J.
Hard to understand and follow!
Eric
Ah. Comic Books.
Houriyah
Houriyah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
 SaЯRah Muhammad
SaЯRah Muhammad marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
James Quay
James Quay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Slow Man
Slow Man marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Gilbert Gehrig
Gilbert Gehrig is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • Introducing Logic
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Kierkegaard for Beginners
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 121 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Twelfth Night (Manga Shakespeare) Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare) Freud for Beginners Introducing Postmodernism Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare)