Start by marking “Sharp Edges” as Want to Read:
Sharp Edges

Sharp Edges

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,192 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Eugenia Swift is a young woman of singular sensibilities, a connoisseur of beauty... and naturally inclined to tackle even the most difficult tasks on her own. As the director of the Leabrook Glass Museum, she's been asked to travel to Frog Cove Island-- an artistic haven near Seattle-- to catalog an important collection of art glass belonging to the late Adams Daventry. B ...more
Published by Pocket Books (first published 1998)

Hannah
Sharp Edges is a pretty standard JAK suspense novel. I've met these characters before in her other novels, and I've seen her use these plot developments before, too. It wasn't bad, but there were no surprises. The plot was predictable, the romance was predictable, and every one of Eugenia's inane utterances was predictable. I had to laugh when, halfway through the book:
Eugenia decided it would be best if she kept her mouth shut for a while. Nothing intelligent was coming out of it, anyway.

Tha
Olga
There are really only two characters in the book - a private investigator and an art museum director. I could not quite relate to them. I did not think that the book had much suspense either (maybe only in the last few pages). Many things in the plot could have been more subtle to make the reading a bit more challenging. The thoughts and feelings of the characters are explained over and over again and clarified yet again through the dialogue. I found the dialogue boring. I did not appreciate the ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I can see that I'm destined to become a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz. This book isn't my favorite of hers, but it was still a fun read and an engaging story. The main characters in this one were a bit too, I dunno, quirky, I suppose, for my taste. Eugenia was a touch too sure of herself, even when so far outside her regular competence. Cole was a touch too certain of himself absent verifiable data. Still, it was a fun mystery and the characters worked well enough for me to lose myself in their story. ...more
jenjn79
Kathy
Minh
I don't really like modern romance novels anymore. I used to read a whole heap of them back in HS and my not so secret secret is that I have approximately 1.5m² of Mills and Boon novels. No, I really mean the ². That said, having enjoyed Amanda Quick's historical novels (Jayne Ann Krentz' name when she's writing historicals) I decided to give her modern day spins a try. Le sigh. I resort to google again.

Sharp Edges teams up a dark tortured former PI, Colfax in search of a legendary class cup Had
Kristiiina
Jul 22, 2014 Kristiiina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kristiiina by: My Great Grandmother
Shelves: kristiiina
My great-grandmother gave my mom this book back in 1997, and I picked it up and happened to see a tidbit in the middle. :) This was the first romance novel I ever read. I read it at least once a year since, The differences and electric sexual friction between Eugenia and Cyrus are amazing to read about. After 17 years, you'd think I'd be tired of reading this book, but I kid you not, once a year I pick it up and remember the time when I was 10 and fell in love with reading romance novels.
Jeanne
Haven't read any Krentz books recently. I remember why. It's not that I don't enjoy her books when I read them. I just can't read too many at a time.

The story made me think of Elizabeth Lowell's Rareties series. An expert in art glass is trying to figure out what happened to her friend on a small island off the Pacific Coast. She's on the island to catalog the pieces donated to her museum by the estate of a deceased collector. A private security man is going with her to investigate the death of
Glen
I seem to be in the minority - not in being a Jayne Ann Krentz fan, but in thinking that this is one of here best works. It would have been enough to enjoy her usual plot, setting, and character details, even though they are set in a formulaic framework. However, this one went beyond with a complex and engaging mystery. I was able to guess some of the key elements, but by no means all.
Penny
This is a new author, which is unusual for me, I prefer to read authors I know and really like. I did enjoy this book and will definitely put her on my to read authors. The plot was pretty predictable, but the characters were likeable. A mix of mystery, suspense, and romance. A fast and pleasant read.
Enid

I wanted to drop the book around page 122.I'm glad I didn't.It was a bit messy and all over the place with the investigation and all the random(unnecessary) characters but it made up for it in the end. The two leads were more and more likeable as the story progressed.
Carrie
A very typical JAK contemporary romantic suspense. And that's not a bad thing. While she can write amazing books (Sweet Starfire), she generally writes entertaining-yet-forgetable books. I often go to JAK (or another of her pen names) when I just don't know what to read next.

Sharp Edge was entertaining as hoped, but didn't wow me and probably won't last long in my memory. The two central characters were fine, but they didn't generate a lot of chemistry. The plot was decent and the secondary char
Marcie
I can see precursors to the "Hunter" types that Ms. Krentz writes about in later books in this one. This is a typical Krentz book in that the reader is treated to a glimpse of a word inside our world that few explore - in this case, the world of art glass - and makes you feel like you belong. The romance builds a bit obviously, but I fell in love with the characters individually anyway. The mystery part was well-written, but this isn't to be listed as a mystery since most readers of that genre w ...more
Maria
Glass is the theme of this Jayne Ann Krentz where Eugenia Swift, the curator of the Leabrook Museum, meets Cyrus Colfax, the owner of a security firm. With nothing in common except their traditional value systems, they work their way through an investigation into murder and theft and on into romance. The book is humorous and relatively fast-paced, a delight in many ways, not least of all the main characters, whom you get to know and love. Having seen some of the beautiful glass blown here in the ...more
Kay
Sharp Edges has become one of my favorite reads. I absolutely fell in love with the two main characters. I will certainly look for more of Jayne Ann Krentz's writings.
Stacie  M. Ritchie
Eugenia Swift is a director of a renowned glass museum in Seattle. Cyrus Colfax is a security expert. They are thrown together in a Glass House on a remote island. When their relationship turns warmer, they try to track down more information on the elusive Hades cup. With a few murder attempts and the reasons for staying on island ending, they head back to Eugenia’s. They find a surprise there and another murder attempt. This was a good romantic suspense. The only thing the matter with this book ...more
Shirl
A fun read. Not the best Krentz book, but not the worse I've read.
Lori Ripple
I am a hopeful romantic. I always like a happy ending.
Ann Brown
Kept me interested and turning pages.
Jennafer
I got this book from a book exchange table looking for something to read on a two hour flight, what I wasn't expecting was to like the story enough to finish it before my plane even landed. Yes the characters were a bit cliche and the romance and story were predictable, but it was a nice quick read that had me engulfed enough to not be freaked out I was in a flying metal bird way up high in the sky. I would recommend the book to others and I have to say this one won't be returning to the exchang ...more
Kathy
For the longest time Jayne Ann Krentz was my favorite author. Still one of my favs but I've learned to try other genres of books. She hands down my favorite Romance authors becuase she throws in some murder mystery too. This is by far my favorite books of hers. It has to do with a curator of a Glass Museum. I've always been a fan of glass art so this one struck a chord with me. There's a murder and the murdered person lived in a mansion called The Glass House. Anyway, its a good book!
Art
This was a quick read, pretty well formulaic, with two basic characters and a little prurient sex. It wasn't one of her best, but still entertaining.
Janinne Garrett
I enjoyed this book. Read it in one day while waiting at the hospital. Because I was surrounded by people, I skipped the gratuitous sex scenes. I didn't figure out who the bad guy was by myself and that part see
Ed to come together towards the end a little too quickly for me. It seemed like all of a sudden it was over!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Another fun one by Ms. Krentz. Her contemporary romantic suspense books are fun to read. Same formula - irritating overbearing male and intelligent independent woman. They end up finding more in common and falling in love. Sweet romance, a little action and mystery then a happily ever after. Quick read.
Ratforce
Like Stephanie Bond’s books, Sharp Edges features a strong heroine, snappy dialogue, and sizzling romance. If you enjoy Krentz, there will be much more to read. She is very prolific and writes under three names: Jayne Anne Krentz, Jayne Castle, and Amanda Quick.
Melissa
Interesting book. I don't know much about art or glass work, but I appreciate it all. This book was easy to follow and understand. Loved both investigations going on, and how they came to and end. If you like JAK's books, you will like this one too.
Joy
Pretty standard Jayne Krentz--her books do sort of all blur together after a while. I liked the details about glass art, but found the characters had somewhat less pop than usual. She can do better things with these particular character types.
Barbara
A low 2 stars. Too much talk explaining life, the universe and everything. I prefer books where the explanations emerge from the story itself, not from characters emoting. I did thoroughly enjoy the art glass and Seattle threads.
Lauren
I'm pretty sure at some point in the past, I had picked up this book, and there was a section of pretty bad puns. While I enjoy puns, it seems that they're a bit out of place in a romance story. Great plot tho.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Sharp Edges (1998) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 01:03PM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • Wicked Widow
  • To Tame the Hunter
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)