Start by marking “Writing about Literature: A Portable Guide” as Want to Read:
Writing about Literature: A Portable Guide

Writing about Literature: A Portable Guide

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Easy to carry and afford, this volume offers concise instruction on how to read and write about literature.
Published December 8th 2003 by Bedford Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing about Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing about Literature

Catherine
Jan 08, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
The bookcrossing copy of this which I read was sent travelling by the author with the explicit instruction that it was to be turned into a communal art-work. I got it early enough in the cycle for it to still be readable, anyone after me would have struggled to make sense of the pages I played with.

I am glad I read it. What amazes me most are the length of sample pieces from students. Our poor KS4 lot (age 14-16) need to produce three times as much for each piece of GCSE Literature coursework -
Erin
Nov 20, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a really good short summary of what most English teachers are expecting from you and attempting to elicit from you in literature classes. It's a pretty short book, so if you don't have a lot of time I'd recommend starting with this. It's a little light in some areas, and the missing details can just leave students more confused than before. Obviously detail and portability are always going to be at odds with one another, but I think nothing would have been lost in the portability categor ...more
Abeer
Dec 01, 2015 Abeer rated it really liked it
simple and wonderful introduction about writing about literature academically. Talks about being a good, critical reader, the steps of academic writing, the components and functions of a tentative thesis, the formats, the sources and the literary schools of criticism, a very simple and wonderful guide for beginners like my self.
Craig
Feb 17, 2011 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty generic but utilizes a lot of good examples for students who are just starting out thinking about literature (ie an intro to literature class). I was especially glad to see the "no hidden meaning" disclaimer at the top of the book. I say it all the time, but no one ever believes ME! Now, maybe they will...
Lisa
Aug 23, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
For anyone returning to school--or starting--this is a great book for refreshing your critical writing skills. It's a slim volume, easy to read and understand. I read it in an afternoon, and have made it a permanent fixture on my writing bookshelf.
Larry
Mar 23, 2012 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this for my 102 class this year. Very easy to understand and well written, with info on close reading, the writing process, and lit crit, as well as how one approaches writing a literary research paper in various genres.
Brittney
Aug 29, 2014 Brittney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've found this book to be very helpful and useful for guidelines to writing better literature paper as well as tips and notes on how to organize a successful research paper.
Katie
If you need an introduction, this isn't a bad one. It also has pertinent MLA data in it, so that's helpful, as are the primary sources that it includes.
Valerie
Nov 04, 2012 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-teach
Using this for a class next semester. My review will depend on how it goes in the classroom.
Joshua
May 28, 2008 Joshua rated it really liked it
This is an excellent, cheap, concise guide.
Raymond Van Berkel
Raymond Van Berkel marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
April S.
April S. rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Jandi
Jandi rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Jason Le
Jason Le marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Anthony R Menichini
Anthony R Menichini marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Iqrah
Iqrah marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
AmbrosiaEyes Blurred
AmbrosiaEyes Blurred marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lim
Lim added it
Apr 06, 2016
Ezra Urbina
Ezra Urbina marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Lorena Munoz
Lorena Munoz marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
TeAndria
TeAndria marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Kevin Pham
Kevin Pham marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Arif Ahmed
Arif Ahmed marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Donna Clements
Donna Clements marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015