Start by marking “At Home with Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
At Home with Jane Austen

At Home with Jane Austen

Tour the homes and settings of Jane Austen, one of the most widely read and beloved authors in English literature, in this beautiful book featuring over 100 color photographs and illustrations.

“I shall be very glad to see you at home again, and then…who will be so happy as we?” — Jane Austen

From her youth in a country rectory in Steventon, a small village in Hampshire, Eng
Published September 30th 2014 by Abbeville Press (first published September 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about At Home with Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Home with Jane Austen

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
As an ardent admirer of the impeccable research and informative prose found in Kim Wilson’s previous works – Tea with Jane Austen and In the Garden with Jane Austen – I was beyond excited to see she has yet again published another comprehensive and artfully arranged tome about Jane Austen’s life and time. Instead of focusing on tea or gardens, Kim Wilson takes readers on a virtual tour of the many places Jane Austen lived and visited, and gives insight to what she saw, did, and experienced in ...more
Myles
Jan 19, 2016 Myles rated it really liked it
I've spent a lot of time not reading Jane Austen. In the past few years I've found myself enjoying her novels and appreciating the amount of devotion she enjoys among her readership. All the power to you folks!

At Home with Jane Austen is an overview of Jane's life among her family and friends with some beautiful photos and illustrations of the places she lived in and visited. The book is divided by location, a chapter for Bath, London, etc., and so doesn't always strictly follow chronological ti
Tammy
Apr 17, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it
This book allows you to tour the homes and settings of Jane Austen, one of my favorite authors. From her youth spent in a modest country rectory to the fashionable spa town of Bath the reader follows her throughout her travels all the way to her final home at Chawton Cottage. The book is filled with photographys and illustrations and opens up Jane Austen's physical world to the reader. Jane Austen traveled extensively throughout her life between family and friends and used the homes and estates ...more
Anna H
Aug 19, 2016 Anna H rated it liked it
Kim Wilson's thorough research into Jane Austen and her family's physical movements and moves over the years is detailed in this book. I'd like to have read more about their actual lives than their literal relocations over time, which are pieced together through a painstaking reading and pasting of their correspondence to one another. The book has beautiful full-color artwork and makes a great coffee table book, however much it lacks in substance, historical reference and interesting ...more
Val
May 18, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
This book is a combination of biography and travel guide. It's not your typical biography, it's more of a coffee table reference book to the life and places of Jane Austin. I found it fascinating. Her letters and her books were frequently quoted as source material for the multiple places that she called home or visited. It was enjoyable to see the photos of the locations she frequented. It was also interesting to see the early nineteenth century paintings of people and activities common to her ...more
MaryBliss
Jan 14, 2015 MaryBliss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Well researched with primary sources. Excellently illustrated. I particularly liked the author's ability to connect attributes of and events in the locations she describes so well in her book with the locations and situations in Jane Austen's novels. I also found it an excellent source of information on Austen's extended family and affectionate family dynamics within the social construct of her era, an aspect of her life and times that was new to me. I enjoyed it.
We love
Mar 31, 2015 We love rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed the letters from and to Jane and the timelines of her life. I did not realize how much of her book stories were drawn from real life experiences, or at least, seem to be. The illustrations in this book were sort of strange, I thought. Just random illustrations, sketches, and photos from the era of the Austens. A few were actual photographs of places related to the Austen family, but the others were just ok. Overall, this was an interesting read.
Serena
Mar 03, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I have won this book through the Goodreads Giveaways.

While I am not a huge Jane Austin fan, my sister is and this is her Christmas present.

This is a beautiful book with fascinating information about Austin's homes both literal and literary.

My Rating System:
Kirk
Oct 26, 2014 Kirk rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane-austen
A delightful coffee table book. I can picture one curling up with it and a cup of tea on a long winter's afternoon/evening. A good selection of quotes from the books and Jane's letters(and her mother and a few others). Perhaps nothing groundbreaking, but all very enjoyable. I was surprised about the watercolor from perhaps Anna Austen Lefroy, showing Chawton Cottage and perhaps Jane and Cassandra walking in the lane.
Lynne
May 05, 2015 Lynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of all things Jane Austen
This was a beautifully illustrated book with both photography of places Jane Austen lived and visited, as well as clips of illustrations and art work from her era. Another wonderful read for those of us who love Jane Austen and the 1800's. I loved how the author mixed historical info with Jane Austen's experiences and quotes and references to her novels and characters. A very pretty book.
Amy Heap
Mar 26, 2015 Amy Heap rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A lovely coffee table type book about Jane 's life and the places she lived and visited. Beautiful pictures, interesting information, makes me want to read all her books again and plan a trip to England.
Melissa
Mar 29, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, historical
This is an excellent companion volume for anyone who has enjoyed the novels of Jane Austen. The text is a very satisfying read and there are many photographs and illustrations that will enhance the readers appreciation and understanding of the world in which Jane Austen lived and wrote.
Feb 22, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
This lovely book is a must for Jane-ites. I was engrossed by the photos and descriptions of the locales from Jane's life and her novels. Authentic artwork from the period and quotes from the well loved novels also made the book delightful to read.
Michelle Gray
Jan 21, 2016 Michelle Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This was a very interesting look at all the places Jane Austen lived during her life. It was descriptive with great photos, paintings, and drawings along with tons of first hand accounts written by Jane herself. :)
Andrea
Sep 04, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! A bit daunting at first, but fulfilled my "coffee table"expectations completely. Interesting background info, both as to Jane Austen and her society and times, wonderfully illustrated. I now have a new itinerary of places I'd like to visit...
Lizzy
Mar 03, 2016 Lizzy rated it really liked it
I won this book through Goodreads. I can only say that this book is incredibly interesting and a great addition to any true Jane Austen reader. The pictures were beautiful and the illustrations were gorgeous! I would recommend this book to Austen fans around the world.
Emily Ragsdale
Dec 22, 2015 Emily Ragsdale rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Good but not what I was hoping it would be. More a biography than a book about domestic life in Jane Austen's time.
Lata
Feb 13, 2016 Lata rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Beautiful images throughout. I learned some new details about Jane Austen and 18th and 19th century Englang.
Susan
Nov 30, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, illustrated with the loveliest photographs and with art work from the Regency, and including quotes from Jane
Austen throughout the text.
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
woody fanon
woody fanon rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2014
Susanne
Susanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Bethanne
Bethanne rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Melanietaylor
Melanietaylor rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Bookgirl
Bookgirl rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Jane Austen: A Life
  • A Fine Brush on Ivory: An Appreciation of Jane Austen
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • The World of Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen's Cults and Cultures
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Book Covers
  • Jane Austen: A Life
  • The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen
  • The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) (Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #7)
  • The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
  • Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record
  • What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved
  • Among the Janeites: A Journey Through the World of Jane Austen Fandom
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
Kim Wilson is a writer, speaker, editor, tea lover, culinary historian, gardening enthusiast, and a life member of the Jane Austen Society of North America. She is the award-winning author of At Home with Jane Austen, Tea with Jane Austen, and In the Garden with Jane Austen.

A popular speaker, Kim travels regularly throughout the country giving entertaining and inspiring lectures to audiences at co
More about Kim Wilson...