Start by marking “Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)

Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years #10)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  8,283 Ratings  ·  1,572 Reviews
After five hectic years of retirement from Lord’s Chapel, Father Tim Kavanagh returns with his wife, Cynthia, from a so-called pleasure trip to the land of his Irish ancestors.
While glad to be at home in Mitford, something is definitely missing: a pulpit. But when he’s offered one, he decides he doesn’t want it. Maybe he’s lost his passion.
His adopted son, Dooley, wre
Published September 2nd 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, please sign up.

Marilyn Didn't you always want to find out what happened to Dooley and Lace?
Susan B I read a Jan Karon interview yesterday. She hints that in her next writing, she'll pick up on the next generation of Mitford characters, Dooley, Lace,…moreI read a Jan Karon interview yesterday. She hints that in her next writing, she'll pick up on the next generation of Mitford characters, Dooley, Lace, Sammy, etc. Hurray!(less)

Nancy
Aug 07, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Back Home in Mitford

After a trip to Ireland, Father Tim and Cynthia are home in Mitford. The emotional experiences in Ireland, have left Father Tim feeling down. He still hasn't completely accepted retirement and acceptance is made more difficult because his doctor is retiring. Instead of staying Mitford, Hoppy is going off to do missionary work in the Sudan. Father Tim doesn't have long to be a curmudgeon. Soon he's involved in all the large and small crises in Mitford.

The book is filled with t
Phrynne
Apr 27, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
This has been such a beautiful series and it has been oh so easy to get attached to all the delightful characters of which there are many! All of Jan Karon's books read like diaries of the day to day lives of Father Tim and the residents of Mitford. This one is an absolute gem but sadly the way it ends seems to indicate it may be the last one. I really hope it is not.
Beth
Sep 21, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Ms. Karon hit it out of the ball park once again.
Kaye
Aug 23, 2014 Kaye rated it it was amazing
I have been keeping up with Father Tim and Cynthia while they were away from Mitford, and loved both those books. It was a period of growth for them both, and some hard times as well.

It's nice to have them back home in Mitford. I didn't realize how very much I missed Dooley and the rest of his family. And all the rest of the fine citizens of Mitford. And they're all here.

It astonishes me that there are people who say this series is too "cozy" for them. I think these might be people who've never
Cindy Rollins
Sep 18, 2015 Cindy Rollins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Let me clarify. I wasn't all that fired up to return to Mitford. I liked Mitford well enough but I was afraid it would be a lesser Mitford. But here I am giving it 5 stars and for purely emotional reasons. Number 1 the title is worth 5 stars. Number 2 it is the first book I have finished in my new home, a home which feels like Somewhere Safe. I sat on my deck overlooking the woods, with hummingbirds buzzing in my ear,a gentle breeze blowing across the bluest sky, reading this book in a home that ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
It has been three long years of waiting and wondering about what Father Tim and the other residents of Mitford have been up to. But the suspense is finally over. With the publication of Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good we finally have our passport into the lovely town that we would all like to call home.

I was reading the book a few days ago while I was in a waiting room. The person next to me made a comment about the thickness of the book and asked what it was about. After taking a second to ga
Sep 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I have found that the Mitford books serve as respite from the anxious state of the world for me. It's hard to read one and not finish with a renewed sense of hope and appreciation for the kindness of people.

This one, which I suspect will be the last in the series, offers that sense of possibility and hope. It's not as well written as the first ones in the series. A few story lines were started and then dropped before being completed.....I had the sense that Karon had so many storylines to pursue
Dorothy
Aug 15, 2014 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
For those who loved the first nine novels in the Mitford series this novel is a jewel. For those who have never read Jan Karon's Mitford series, there is no reason not to start here. When I received this book to read and review, I was surprised to see that it has over 500 pages--much longer than any of the other books. What could the author have to say in such length? Plenty. There is not a slow or unnecessary passage here, even the parts that review the story's past. All the characters and ...more
Anne
Sep 08, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
A pleasant read and nice to get caught up with the Mitford characters but just no dramatic tension, at least for this reader. It seemed somewhat lackluster no matter how pleasant.
Katherine
Sep 09, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-faves
I'm so excited. I'm going home to Mitford!
Carol Lamendola
Sep 25, 2014 Carol Lamendola rated it it was ok
I've read all the previous books and enjoyed them. I found this one to be a bit long and confusing trying to tie all the earlier characters into this book. I do enjoy the Father Tim character, he's a good man.
Andrea Larson
Sep 09, 2014 Andrea Larson rated it really liked it
Shelves: gentle-fiction
This may be one of my favorite book titles ever. After all, isn’t it what we all wish for? And if you’re a Father Tim fan, you’ll know that he has, in fact, gotten this wish. He’s finally back in Mitford, the idyllic North Carolina mountain town that is the scene of the first nine books in the series, with his lovely wife Cynthia and the eccentric cast of characters we’ve come to know so well. But although he’s back at home, Father Tim’s life is not the same. He’s no longer the rector of Lord’s ...more
Nadine Keels
Aug 25, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing
An unprecedented act on my part: I jumped right in, deep into a series, without having yet read any of the series' earlier books, which I'm aware are meant to be read in sequential order. Additionally, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good is the first book whatsoever that I've read by Jan Karon. Perhaps this act of mine is somewhat of a violation against the International Bookworm's Unofficial Code or something, but, really, how could I pass up a novel with such a title when it came across my path? ...more
Dale Harcombe
Jan 26, 2015 Dale Harcombe rated it it was amazing
Though I have read all the Mitford series, it’s been quite a while since I read the last one. Initially this novel with its cast of characters felt rather busy and it took me a little while to click back into who everyone was. Once I did, it was being back with family. I loved spending time with Tim and Cynthia Kavanagh and the town of Mitford every chance I got.
Now returned from Ireland and back in Mitford, Timothy Kavanagh is not exactly dealing well with retirement. But then, in the way of l
Linda
Dec 24, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
Recommended to Linda by: Shelf Awareness
Shelves: chcpl, fiction, hardback
I have read everyone of the Mitford books and the subsequent 2 Father Tim novels. It has been awhile since I "was" in Mitford and although I felt as if I was back home visiting friends although my addled brain had trouble remembering names and connections of secondary characters.
Karon's writing style does not help this old gal. Her chapters are divided into bite-sized sections, but whe often enters a new section without clear (to me) indication of who exactly is talking or conducting business.
Ka
Nancy
Sep 27, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
The Father Tim series by Jan Karon is lovely - start at the beginning because you want to get to know the characters. They become part of your extended family. The first time I listened to a Father Tim novel, I thought it might be too sweet, too religious, too smarmy - boy was I wrong. The books are delightful and this one is the icing on the cake. Karon does a wonderful job of reminding you of things that have happened in the past - where you say to yourself, oh yeah I remember that, without ...more
Susan Johnson
Apr 11, 2015 Susan Johnson rated it really liked it
I don't quite know why I like this series so much but it just warms my heart to read the newest installment in the Mitford series. Father Tim and Cynthia are back from Ireland and he is still having trouble adjusting to retirement. Be careful what you wish for because quite soon Father's Tim's plate is overflowing. This is just a sweet series that makes me feel great.
Megan Treseder
Sep 12, 2014 Megan Treseder rated it it was amazing
It doesn't get better than the Mitford series. Seriously, it's my absolute favorite. Several hundred pages of Father Tim is never enough. I'm always left wanting more! Thanks to Jan Karon for creating a world that I never want to leave.
Donna Gabbard
Aug 29, 2014 Donna Gabbard rated it it was amazing
I was so glad to get back to Mitford. Jan Karon's Mitford books are such a welcoming read! I read this as part of Penguin Books First to Read program so it was an advance copy.

When old friends meet again after being apart, they seem to be able to pick up a conversation as if no time at all has elapsed. Such is true with Karon's book, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good. All the "old" characters are back along with a few new ones. Mitford fans will definitely not be disappointed in this book.

As a
Sue
Aug 21, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gentle-fiction
I was lucky to have an Advanced Copy to reacquaint myself with all the Mitford friends I've grown to love over the years. Karon doesn't disappoint with the further adventures of Father Tim and Mitford's best. Father Tim may not have a pulpit to occupy but the challenges and troubles of the small North Carolina town always seem to find him anyway. Loved it. In order to fully appreciate the charactors in this book be sure to read the entire series. You will not regret the time and most likely will ...more
Vickie Kelley
Oct 21, 2014 Vickie Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Ready for this new book to be out!
Hattie
Oct 01, 2014 Hattie rated it it was amazing
When I started "Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good by Jan Karon, I thought she had given me enough pages to enjoy while saying goodbye to my favorite characters. As I neared the end of the novel, I realized Mitford had become a part of me. Since I have met the characters in a few of the other Mitford novels, I know these characters quite well. Reading this book felt like a family reunion. I felt so happy to meet Father Tim and Cynthia again along with the Violet cat books, Dooley, Sammy, Henry ...more
Leah
Feb 19, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is book 10 in the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I count this series among my all time favorites. Each book finds me laughing, crying, and having my faith strengthened a little more.

The story follows Tim Kavanagh as he shepherds his small parish in North Carolina. He also enjoys gardening and reading books so that adds to the appeal for me as those are hobbies that I share. There is plenty of small town southern charm in this series. Love, mystery, and quirky characters abound.

One of my fav
Carrie Pagels
Apr 20, 2015 Carrie Pagels rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
LOVED this book!!!! I took my time savoring it!!! Listened to this on audible.com download. Just finished it and I want to listen to it again, maybe this coming Christmas. What a long wait. The narrator IS Father Time, so I am so grateful this gentleman actor narrated again. Jan Karon is an amazing author. I love her stuff and have listened and re-listened to her books so many times, before I began writing Christian fiction myself that I think I can recite some from memory. Not really, but I ...more
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I gave it 5 stars because it felt so good to be back in Mitford. This series wraps its arms around the reader and makes them feel safe and warm. I savored every page and truly hope Jan Karon continues on with this series. She has such a gift at creating a place where life happens to all of the characters yet there is hope around every corner. Cynthia's love for Father Tim is so well said, "...to be safe with you is grace beyond measure."
Clarissa
Oct 07, 2014 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Once again, Jan Karon delivers. I always wish I lived in Mitford and amongst all the friends I've made through these books. I looked forward to this since I shut the cover of the last book and I was not disappointed. Loose ends were tied up but, I confess to hoping we have an entire new series in the makings involving Dooley and Lace. Thank you, Jan Karon! I re-read these books frequently and never tire of them. They make me feel like I am, well, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good.
KathleenThais
Sep 13, 2014 KathleenThais rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of all the Father Tim books.

I couldn't put it down - I have read all the Father Tim books at least twice but this one was very special in the way the story entwined the lives of all the good people from previous books with just enough new folks to mix it up. I'm sad to think that this is probably the last book but what a way to go! Thanks to Jan Karon for so many hours of happy, feel good reading.
Sara
Oct 10, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Apparently this is part of a series with loyal followers. I will not be among them. I found this book corny, slow and heavy handed religiously.
Tina Frawley
Nov 07, 2014 Tina Frawley rated it did not like it
Horrendously boring and a tedious read. Struggled through it and eventually gave up. Yaaaaawn!
Susy
Dec 02, 2014 Susy rated it it was amazing
I suspect those of us who treasured the series of Mitford books will all give this new book a five star rating. It has everything we love about our beloved little mountain community and Father Tim as our virtual caring priest. It's been several years since we read about the Kavanagh's trip to Ireland but the story picks up shortly after their return home.
Father Tim is still unsettled in his role as a retiree; his adopted son Dooley is away at college but Dooley's younger troubled siblings are l
2015 Reading Chal...: Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good by Jan Karon 1 13 May 22, 2015 03:08AM
Reading our way t...: Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good, Jan Karon 1 5 Feb 03, 2015 04:21PM
Mitford Series!!! 4 73 Oct 27, 2014 04:47PM
  • Almost Friends (Harmony, #6)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Slow Down, You're Wearing Us Out! (Dearest Dorothy, #2)
  • Christmas at Fairacre
  • Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover (Miss Julia, #15)
  • A Can of Peas
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • The Passion of Mary-Margaret
  • Come to the Table (A SouledOut Sisters Novel)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #11)

“I can't say I have any confidence in confidence. I have confidence that God is with us in all things, both tender and tough.” 11 likes
“I worried too much about what others thought—I can tell you it’s a tragic waste of time and energy and pokes God in the eye.” 10 likes