Start by marking “In the Field of Grace” as Want to Read:
In the Field of Grace

In the Field of Grace

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,311 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Without wealth or family, the widow Ruth left her people and followed Naomi, her beloved Hebrew mother-in-law, to rebuild Naomi's home in Israel. Provisions gone and starvation at the door, Ruth used all that she had left--a strong back and a willing heart--to gather grain in a field, abandoned after the harvest.

Tormented by others, Ruth is shocked to find the owner of the
Published July 1st 2014 by River North (first published June 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about In the Field of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Field of Grace

Anna Hurtt
Nov 11, 2014 Anna Hurtt rated it it was amazing
Every now and then, you stumble upon a story that is so real, so easy to get lost in, that you forget everything else in your life. I read "In the Field of Grace" in 48 hours, which has to be a personal record for me.

I love Biblical fiction, but I've never seen the story of Ruth and Boaz brought to life so beautifully before. I was hooked from the first page.

I've been a fan of this author since reading "Pearl in the Sand," and I'm eager to look up the other two books she has written. I truly e
Jessica
This was a beautiful retelling of the story of Ruth and Naomi, and later Boaz. I have my own connections to the story, and to hear it again in the hands of a capable author familiar with both the biblical tale and historical background, was sweet and comforting. That's a good way to sum this book up, sweet and comforting. Each character had many sorrows and trials, and each had to choose at some point: faith or fear. Life or death. Bitterness or peace. Each chapter began with a scripture and the ...more
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Jun 21, 2014 Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf) rated it it was amazing
Full review here: http://www.overweightbookshelf.com/20...

Tessa Afshar’s name has become synonymous with exceptional biblical fiction. Her newest novel, In the Field of Grace (River North), follows the beloved story of Ruth, Naomi and Boaz and has already garnered much acclaim, and rightfully so. Penned with emotional authenticity and historical acuity, Tessa Afshar transports readers to the fertile fields of Bethlehem to walk amongst those whose obedience and surrender established Christ’s line
Amanda Geaney
May 28, 2014 Amanda Geaney rated it really liked it
Tessa Afshar has taken one of the most beloved stories in the bible and alighted it on my heart once more. In the Field of Grace exemplifies how God delights in using the most unlikely people to fulfill His divine purposes. Through a series of seemingly unrelated events, Tessa Afshar reveals how the Lord begins to weave Ruth into the lineage of Israel. Ultimately He provides hope for the world through the union of Ruth and Boaz.

The opening chapters lay a strong foundation for the remainder of th
Hilary
May 25, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
Ruth's story here starts before the Biblical one has any detail, creating a realistic backstory for Boaz, and showing how Ruth and Naomi met and became such friends that Ruth would willingly give up her life, family and gods to follow Naomi back to Bethlehem. The journey itself is almost an afterthought in the Bible, but here we're reminded of the hardship it entailed, especially for two poor women traveling on their own, and the hopelessness both must have felt at times.

Boaz' interest in Ruth,
I really enjoyed this retelling of the biblical story of Ruth and Boaz. I was a little surprised with the beginning, but it didn't take me long to realize that she was giving some background. I liked that about the story & that it didn't end when Ruth & Boaz got married. Though Ms. Afshar takes literary license (I believe that's what it's called) she does a good job of staying true to what we do have of Ruth's story.

I found Ruth's family sad, the way they treated her. I was so glad that
Ness Kingsley
Sep 26, 2015 Ness Kingsley rated it liked it
Not my favourite of her books (Harvest of Rubies!), but still enjoyed it.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
If you have read some of the stories of the Bible, you get a broad sense of what happened. But like so many times we are missing some of the finer points, the motivations and those are found in the details. My newest favorite genre this year is Biblical Fiction. Taking a story we all know and love straight from the Bible and enhancing the details of 'what could of been!' It is never meant to take the place of those beloved stories but simply a way I believe to draw you deeper. To bring you right ...more
Beth
Jun 30, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Ruth grew up with a family that treated her as less-than. Not until she meets Naomi at the market does Ruth experience true kindness, and after marrying her son, she experiences acceptance and happiness with the Israelite family. Following the Biblical story, both of Naomi’s sons die, leaving the women to fend for themselves. They travel to Bethlehem, Naomi’s long-ago home to start their lives over.

Naomi, a poor widow, and Ruth, a Moabite and therefore an outsider, must do what they can to survi
Kristin
I’m really not sure where to start with this review. I guess I’ll say—I LOVED the cover. I just wasn’t very crazy about the story.

I read quite a bit of historical fiction and Biblical fiction. I’m fine with fillers to the story but this stuff was kind of farfetched. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention that Boaz had another wife and children. I probably could have overlooked that but I also felt that some of the language wasn’t very—fitting. I don’t think “bumpkin” and “hussy” fits well in this
Lydia Howe
May 21, 2016 Lydia Howe rated it really liked it
Why I Choose this Book:

The first Bible Study I attend as a little girl was hosted by my older sister and we studied Ruth. Ever since then I've found her story to be fascinating and somewhat mind-bloggling. When I saw the chance to review a biblical fiction book about Ruth, I was pretty excited.

What I Thought About this Book:

Ah, Ruth! This book portrayed familiar characters in unfamiliar ways, and really helped them to come alive. Although the author obviously took liberties and added huge secti
Virginia
Nov 24, 2014 Virginia rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I had been anticipating this book ever since I'd heard that Tessa Afshar was in the process of writing it. I'm a pretty big fan of Tessa Afshar's writing so I try to read all of her books as soon as possible! Ruth is also one of my favorite heroines in the Bible so to have a novelization of her story is like so AWESOME!!

I do love,love the book cover. It is absolutely stunning!!

At first, I couldn't really get into the story because it seemed to me that it did have a slow start in my opinion. I wa
Raechel
Jul 22, 2014 Raechel rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness did I love this book. I knew I would, though. :) Tessa Afshar never disappoints! At least, I don't think so. Each book she writes is absolutely amazing, and it is a joy to read. I always learn something from them, and love and appreciate the depth she adds to each book.
This was a beautiful retelling of the Book of Ruth from the Bible. The characters came so alive, and you got to see so many new aspects that you don't really think about when you read the Biblical account. I just l
Elizabeth Olmedo
Aug 20, 2014 Elizabeth Olmedo rated it liked it
Based on the Biblical account, In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar offers a glimpse into the life of Ruth who overcomes major obstacles to become the grandmother of one of Israel’s most renowned kings – King David, holding the distinction of standing in the lineage of Jesus Christ.

A gentile who chooses to full-heartedly turn her life to the God of Israel and His people, Ruth has long been one of my heroes. Her words and actions bespeak of a woman of insurmountable strength and courage. Sadly,
Prairie Sky Book Reviews
Aug 23, 2016 Prairie Sky Book Reviews rated it really liked it
As someone who has always enjoyed the biblical book of Ruth, I was delighted when I discovered a fictional retelling of the story by renowned author Tessa Afshar. Published by Moody’s River North Fiction in 2014, the book is aptly entitled “In the Field of Grace”. If you enjoy biblical fiction of any kind, this book will be a welcome addition to your library for many reasons, including:

- The story is masterfully told, flowing easily and smoothly.

- The characters, both primary and secondary, are
Ashley
Jun 11, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-previews
"In the Field of Grace" drew me in with the very first sentence. This is a beautiful retelling of the story of Ruth and Boaz. I truly love reading historical fiction because it gives the reader a refreshing perspective of a story heard many times. This was no exception.

This book was fantastic from cover to cover! I was already pretty excited about it after reading the summary and boy, it did not disappoint! I love that it was told from both Ruth's and Boaz's perspectives. Afshar did a great job
Anna
Mar 13, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first encounter with Naomi in Moab, to the lion that saved the traveling caravan towards Bethlehem, and the impolite gleaner, Dinah, who taught Ruth how to use a slingshot; I was captivated.
One of my all time favorite stories from the Bible is Ruth and when I found this.. my heart did a little somersault.
Tears, cold chills, and a couple of laughs escaped in the midst of my emotions when reading this book.
I loved that even from the beginning of the story it continually taught lessons.
Erin
Jul 30, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

In February 2013 I reviewed The Sinners and the Sea: The Untold Story of Noah's Wife by Rebecca Kanner and came out as self-admitted cover slut. I'd love to say things have changed, that I've matured into a more discerning individual, but no, good cover art still makes me weak in the knees. I get lightheaded, all rational thought goes out the window and I just can't help myself. Okay, not really.

Don't misunderstand, DogEare
Crystal Sams
I was given a copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

I feel like I should premise this review by saying that I grew up Christian, and after years of thought and research, have decided that I am agnostic.

"In the Field of Grace" is the story of Ruth from the Bible, but with more detail. I was familiar with the beginning of story, but not how it ended. I enjoyed the tale, the added depth that wasn't present in the Bible version.

Even as someone who does
Alicia Ruggieri
Overall, I really loved this novel, my first Tessa Afshar book. In my experience, biblical fiction can be either really well-done or very poorly-done: not much wiggle room. In the Field of Grace is definitely well-done.

Why?
-The God-centered message of unmerited grace given freely, of restoration after pain and loss, of complete surrender of all we are and have to our Savior.
-The fluid, lovely writing style of Afshar serves to ornament an already-beautiful story.
-The deep research - apparent from
Minna
Feb 17, 2015 Minna rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. It was a tad preachy, and I could have done without the epilogue featuring David (it seemed, oh, unnecessary? incidental?). Except for the end, where Ruth and Boaz's lineage was connected to Jesus, it wasn't particularly Christian fiction so much as Biblical fiction.
Anyways.
Lately I've been hunting down fiction versions of my favorite Bible stories; I started with Esther (Hadassah) and this is the story of Ruth. I felt that the historical setting was genuine; the hardships suffere
MLOW
Jun 29, 2014 MLOW rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014

I loved Pearl in the Sand and Harvest of Rubies so I had fairly high expectations for this book and perhaps that created an issue for me.

This was a sweet retelling of the story of Ruth, but for me it seemed to lack the wit and creative genius I've seen in other books by Tessa Afshar. Perhaps Ruth's story didn't lend itself to the classic Afshar style because I saw more evidence of it in the epilogue than the rest of the book.

That said it is a sweet, simple story with lots of faith the
Patricia
Apr 21, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. The bond between Naomi and Ruth could not be broken in spite of all the obstacles they had to face. And the romance between Ruth and Boaz was undeniable, in spite of their misunderstandings. It had such a good ending, too. I was so happy to hear that Ruth finally had a baby after being barren for so long. I closed the book with a big sigh, feeling good all over. Definitely felt like they were going to be very happy together and that their faith would be carried down ...more
Jill
Oct 29, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Fantastic "fleshing out" of the story of Ruth from the Bible. I don't usually like Inspirational novels (a bit too cheesy and poorly written) but this one was super enjoyable. Very faithful to the actual scripture story, while adding some plausible and interesting details. The author is both from that part of the world and has a MDiv from Yale, so she knows what she's talking about.
Christie Lovvorn
Tessa Afshar's novel creates a moving portrait of the godly love shared by Boaz and Ruth. Her plotline is realistic and the details of life in Old Testament times lends authenticity to the world in which her characters live. Another inspiring and well-researched story that breathes life into stories from the Bible.
Sarah Farley
Aug 21, 2016 Sarah Farley rated it really liked it
I'm still in awe of Tessa Afshar's style of writing, and this awe grows with every book I read by her. She has an unmistakable talent for turning biblestorys without much detail, into novels that thrive with life. Afshar is able to stick to the facts she owns but also ads her own tuch to the story. Thoroughly recommend this book!
Leslie
Aug 05, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
3.5 - Very much enjoyed the story, just a little too preachy for my taste...those parts felt a little contrived.
Ja'nell
Dec 16, 2014 Ja'nell rated it it was amazing
I love retellings of stories from the Bible and this one didn't disappoint.
Benji
Dec 30, 2015 Benji rated it really liked it
She can tell a great story
Paula-O
Dec 05, 2016 Paula-O rated it it was amazing
In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar

I enjoy reading Bibical fiction books and Tessa does a great job with research making us love the characters she creates from the ones found in the Bible.
Everyone knows the story in Hebrews about Ruth and Boaz....

These two in this book made me see them in a new way. After all..the people that walked the earth so many years ago were just like you and I, this story shows us they were human too.

Ruth had a difficult life with her family , one (Grandfather) made h
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 16, 2014 10:32AM
Christian Book Gi...: In the Fields of Grace by Tessa Afshar ends 11/30 1 5 Nov 28, 2014 08:01AM
Free Books, .99 &...: In the Field of Grace GIVEAWAY 1 13 Jul 16, 2014 08:36AM
Captured, but not won. 1 8 Jun 27, 2014 09:35AM
  • Love in a Broken Vessel (Treasure of His Love)
  • Burning Sky
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • Keepers of the Covenant (The Restoration Chronicles #2)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • Beyond All Dreams
  • Counted With the Stars (Out from Egypt, #1)
  • Healer of Carthage (The Carthage Chronicles, #1)
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • The Queen's Handmaid
  • David and Bathsheba
  • For Such a Time
  • Esther: Royal Beauty (Dangerous Beauty, #1)
  • Love Comes Home (Rosey Corner, #3)
  • The Irish Healer
Tessa Afshar is the popular author of several works of biblical fiction. Her novel, Harvest of Gold won the prestigious 2014 Christy Award in the Historical Romance category. She was voted “New Author of the Year” by the Family Fiction sponsored Reader’s Choice Awards 2011 for her novel Pearl in the Sand. Her book, Harvest of Rubies was a finalist for the 2013 ECPA Book Award (formerly known as ...more
More about Tessa Afshar...

“There is only one measure of true success, child. How close you remain by His side. Does the dust of His feet get on your cloak because you follow so close? Does the sound of His whisper reverberate in your ear because you have drawn so near? Are you obedient to that voice, day after day, hour after hour? That’s how I measure success. Do you understand?” 5 likes
“There is only one measure of true success, child. How close you remain by His side. Does the dust of His feet get on your cloak because you follow so close? Does the sound of His whisper reverberate in your ear because you have drawn so near? Are you obedient to that voice, day after day, hour after hour? That’s how I measure success.” 2 likes