Start by marking “12 Days: A Modern Twist on The Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
12 Days: A Modern Twist on The Twelve Days of Christmas

12 Days: A Modern Twist on The Twelve Days of Christmas

A modern twist on The Twelve Days of Christmas, this collection of playful tales makes a perfect holday gift. "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me…" From a partridge in a pear tree to twelve drummers drumming, here is a collection sure to please even the Scroogiest of readers. Taking the classic Christmas song as inspiration, these twelve stories from som ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Virago UK (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Days

Plum-crazy
Jul 19, 2016 Plum-crazy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
I'm not a fan of short stories at the best of times, I always feel I'm missing the point, left wanting a proper conclusion or...as in the case of some of these...wondering what the hell happened there!

So my thoughts on the stories were as follows;

"A Partridge in a Pear Tree" - nearly gave up on the whole book as I had no idea whatsoever what was going on!
"Two Turtle Doves - okay, at least I understood it.
"Three French Hens - didn't like.
"Four Calling Birds" - liked this apart from one particula
Dennie
Dec 18, 2014 Dennie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Some Notes I made after reading each story:

"Partridge in a pear tree - I have no idea what is going on in this story."
"2 turtle doves - this one is quite good."
"3 French hens - was ok"
"4 calling birds - didn't like was stupid."
"5 gold rings - good but sad"
"6 geese a-laying - fun story. best so far"
"7 swans a-swimming - meh"
"8 maids a-milking - yeah it's ok"
"9 ladies dancing - a nice story"
"10 lords a-leaping - I enjoyed this one"
"11 pipers piping - a sad but good story"
"12 drummers drumming - en
Josie
Jul 03, 2010 Josie rated it liked it
The first story was so bad that I almost gave up. Thankfully, there are some gems in here, tucked between the rubbish. I don't have the book to hand but from memory I liked Four Calling Birds, Five Gold Rings, Six Geese a-Laying, and Seven Swans a-Swimming. I have a feeling there were a couple more towards the end that I liked, but I can't remember what they were about now. (So obviously this wasn't a particularly memorable book, but it was okay for whiling away an afternoon.)
Indira
Nov 26, 2011 Indira rated it did not like it
This book ABSOLUTELY SUCKED. Nice Concept - 12 short stories, each one taking the theme of one of the items in the "12 Days of Christmas" song. Most of the writing was horrible, twisted, pointless and did NOT put me in the Christmas Spirit. The 2nd story was readable and maybe the 9th, but other than that, it sucked. I've had it for almost 2 years but never had the urge to read it and now I know why. Would give it half a star if I could.
Alison
Dec 23, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was an interesting collection of Christmas tnamed stories - each one called after one of the twelve days. 5 Gold Rings was the saddest, based on a true story in Bethlehem - not the one you'd think though! - and other than 11 pipers piping which was slightly disturbing and the initial partridge tale which I have read twice and cannot undertsnad! - I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Caroline
Twelve short stories inspired by "The Twelve Days of Christmas" by a variety of authors in a variety of styles. Not all are particularly festive, which was disappointing, and some are much better than others.

My favourite was Six Geese A-Laying by Sophie Kinsella.

Asna
Mar 11, 2011 Asna rated it really liked it
The books were sorted by 12 short stories written by 12 different authors in regards to the lyric of "12 Days" Christmas song. It surely amused me and kick away the boredom. All have different styles of story telling and a wide range of genre stories (mostly about love though).
Kathy Chung
Dec 09, 2011 Kathy Chung rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
reviewed at Mama Kucing Meow: 12 Days: A Modern Twist on The Twelve Days of Christmas edited by Shelley Silas

For me, it was not that great. Not really Christmassy type of story
Michelle Geaney
Dec 11, 2011 Michelle Geaney rated it did not like it
There's very few stories in this that are any good. Was told it was very festive- It is not. It's the title that catches you. The concept is great but most of the stories are okay.
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Nicola
Nicola rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Stia Jama
Stia Jama rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Allied
Allied rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2014
Alison Wassell
Alison Wassell rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Kate (Trojanhorse)
Dec 28, 2012 Kate (Trojanhorse) rated it it was ok
6 Geese was probably the best. Ladies Dancing was a good concept. Other stories were disappointing.
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2011
Aimee
Aimee rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2013
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Kaycee
Kaycee rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Barkelby
Barkelby rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
Rebecca Abbasi
Jan 22, 2008 Rebecca Abbasi rated it did not like it
actually gave up as it was rubbish
Stephanie Foley
Stephanie Foley rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Andra
Andra rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Ruth Johnstone
Ruth Johnstone rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Fangirl
Fangirl rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015