Start by marking “Word Play” as Want to Read:
Word Play

Word Play

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,156 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Smut sells.

Michael Rourke learned this the hard way.

Struggling to make ends meet as a mystery writer, he sold his soul - and his pride - as he pedaled sex and lust writing under the pen name Christoph Strong.

No one knew he was the one behind the steamy stories on the bestsellers lists. And he planned to keep it that way.

Until he met her.

Monica Singer, an infamous blogger,
Published June 15th 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Word Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Word Play

Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberTangled by Emma ChasePlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonRules of Protection by Alison Bliss
LOL sexy romance
22nd out of 164 books — 304 voters
Tangled by Emma ChaseWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuireOver the Fence by Melanie MorelandBeautiful Bastard by Christina LaurenBeautiful Stranger by Christina Lauren
Romance Books: Male POV
88th out of 470 books — 776 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Jayne
Jul 10, 2014 Lisa Jayne rated it it was amazing
FIVE SMEEP STARS.

"I wanted to feel her. I needed it."

description

I have been taken completely by surprise by a book that seems to have captured the interest of readers all over, and now I'm gladly joining the queue to sign up as an official Amalie silver fan girl. I'm not sure I have the right words to conjure up how special, unique and downright hilarious this book is. Amilie Silver has delved right into the all the quirks, highlights and pitfalls of the writing community and produced a romantic comedy t
Debra
Jul 15, 2014 Debra rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars! ** Now LIVE on Amazon.

Word Play by Amalie Silver was an absolute gem to read. It was a fun, sexy, original and downright hilarious read that kept me hooked from start to finish. The fact that the author has dedicated a huge part of the book to the world of authors, readers, bloggers and everyone/everything associated to the reading community made the story all the more fun to read and easy to relate to.

Word Play is the story of Michael Rourke; originally a mystery author who's deci
Mo
May 30, 2014 Mo rated it really liked it
Michael Rourke (good Irish name) writes under the pen name of Christoph Strong. He wants to sell Mystery/Thrillers but the market is not too big for those sort of books. Instead he writes erotica because SMUT sells. He wants to remain anonymous.

Any of you who are on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads etc., those of you who Blog, those who review will enjoy this one.

Betty Black is an erotic author too who is always top of the Bestsellers list. There is a bit of rivalry between Christoph and Betty.

"Fo
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Jul 12, 2015 ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
FREE for a limited time! * Amazon US * Amazon UK *
(Check price before purchasing!)

Word Play took me by surprise. It's a delicious mix of sweet romance and satirical humour, poking good natured fun at our reading community. I laughed out loud, I swooned over Michael and generally had the best time reading this romantic satire. Let me tell you why....

The premise
Michael Rourke, wannabe mystery writer, discovers that Smut sells, and it sells big!

A winning formula.

Michael struggles to make a living
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Word Play
Author – Amalie Silver
Publication Date – July 2014
Type – Stand Alone
Genre – Romance/Humor
Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by Author in exchange for an honest review.

Review
So enough ribbing Amalie….I promised you a review and by god…I will give you a review! Why have I waited so long to write this? Honest to fuck…I have no clue cause I do have so much to say about this little diamond! (yup, not a gem…but a big ole diamond)

When Ms. Silver first came to me and a
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo Free Li2 xB by sb_zpsl0xc85hf.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (7/11/2015)

Stand-alone.

BLURB:
Smut sells.

Michael Rourke learned this the hard way.

Until he met her.

Monica Singer, an infamous blogger, is keen to discover the truth of his secret identity.

During a cha
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3--It Didn't Make Me Smeep--Stars!!!

I am sure this is a case of it's not you, it's me. But I really struggled with this one.

I KNOW it's supposed to be a satire. A funny look at the online/reading world.

Twitter/Twatter, Goodreads/Greatreads, Facebook/Faceplace, Amazon/Amazonia.

And it was at times funny....but most of the time...

The underlying story itself just wasn't plausible. Maybe that was the point. IDK! Maybe it was way over my head!

The characters:

Michael/Christoph--the mystery turned e
Stacey is Sassy
Jul 31, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it it was amazing
I received a recommendation from friends to read Word Play which is the hilarious story of a bloke who writes erotica. I am so glad I listened to them. I haven't laughed so hard or related to a book so well. It was comforting to know that I am not alone in my love for romance and quite normal (mostly) to discuss the characters decisions good or bad and whether the book made me "smeep".

The main characters, Michael and Monica, were funny and sweet with a touch of geek thrown in. I loved the chemis
Lucia
Jul 29, 2016 Lucia rated it really liked it

Word Play is full of hilarious one-liners, crazy situations, entertaining and lovable characters and enjoyable smut-with-plot storyline. All these features are skillfully blended together in order to make this novel stand out among other books in this genre. There is no denying how original this story is and I would recommend it to all those who are looking for something funny and witty to read!

Word Play takes readers on a journey of successful but unhappy author Michael Rourke. While he sits
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 04, 2014 Wendy'sThoughts rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance, Erotica, Humor
4.5 Clever, Smart Banter and Insightful Stars * * * * 1/2

Satire... is a tricky thing... It must juggle and balance the fine line of being sometimes brutal yet still show affection and care for what it is poking fun at. We love to see it... giggle and laugh but when it could be directed at us... close to home... are we up to the task of seeing it for how it is given... with tongue planted firmly in cheek and loads of humor and smarts??? Well, in Word Play by Amalie Silver... I think we can and sh
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

3.5 Stars

smeep (smep) v.
1. To give forth a short, shrill cry or sound. 2. To utter in a thin, shrill voice in extreme fandom.

"I would have loved to know what it would be like to have her always--"

What can I say? When I read the blurb, I couldn't help but want to read this book. I'm glad I did, because the idea of it was quite original and entertaining.

The book was freaking funny. I enjoyed the fact that it kind of made fun of the online romance reading community. I was a few chapters in and
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
May 28, 2014 Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4 "Smeeping" Stars

photo WordPlay4_zps9e530440.jpg

A Cute, Sweet, Angsty, Romantic, Funny Love Story......A story that involves authors, bloggers, fans, book signings and social media. It is a great satire on this whole community. It was a really fun read, kept me interested, was romantic and angsty, and there was steamy sex too- *Smeeps*

Michael Rourke/Christoph Strong- a writer at a crossroad in his career. He wants to be a mystery writer but instead he writes erotica. He has a pen name so no one knows his secret but as his c
Didi
GAH!!! I LOVED THIS BOOK! it was original, witty, romantic, and incredibly funny! It made no issue in making fun of itself, poking fun at the colorful world of the literary community and in the end proving to be almost satirical in nature. It was well written, beautiful and had me mourning it's loss when I turned the last page. Told in dual pov's, this book rocked.
Michael Rourke is struggling under the pressure to write in a genre he never intended to. Under the pen name Christoph Strong, he wri
Catarina
4 Playful Stars.

Christoph Strong, the pen name of Michael Rourke , is one of the best-selling smut authors and girls love his books. They keep reaching the NYT best-seller list. The problem? Michael, the author behind them, hates what he writes. He just want to write mystery novels but he can’t make money out of it, so as he says, he sold his soul to the devil.

description

In one book convention he meets the infamous book blogger, Monica Singer, the one he stills holds a grudge after she rated his first b
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
2.5 Stars

This book was something different.. I think the idea is original, no doubt.
But

I couldn't take the story serious. It was too unrealistic. Maybe it was intended by the author.

Still I had little use for this particular writing style.

At first this was my only complaint. But then average NA stuff came in addition:

- dumb heroine
- unprotected sex
“Shit! Lauren? I don’t have a condom,” I chuckled.
(...)
“I don’t care,” she whispered back

BTW I believe it was only their 3rd meeting

- the reason
****FOUR STARS*****
(BR with Dee and Mel)

Michael Rourke is a mystery writer, who, in order to pay the bills, has been writing Erotica books on the side. He goes by the pen name, Christoph Strong, to keep his reputation in tact.
No one knows what Christoph looks like, but he has many fans because of his popular romance series featuring Armond and Jasmine.
The story opens up with a very steamy excerpt from Christoph's latest book and I was already in need of a cold shower!!

photo 400ad50e30aa8f9c1702b4999b9bbd12_zps7685a874.jpg

Michael is very gorgeous b
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***
***3.5 SMEEPING Stars***

For anyone on GR, Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, Instagram, who follows their favorite author on all social media outlets, reads reviews, follows bloggers, is a blogger, knows a blogger, wants to be a blogger....ANY of the above...this book is for you!

It is a laugh-out-loud and laugh-at-yourself satirical look at the online romance reading community. If you make it to 25% of the book and haven't laughed out loud at least once, close the book and move on.....YOU DON'T GET
Carolina
May 28, 2014 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carolina by: Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Ability...
1. The quality of being able to do something, especially the physical, mental, financial, or legal power to accomplish something.
2. A natural or acquired skill or talent.
3. The quality of being suitable for or receptive to a specified treatment; capacity.

The skill or talent, the quality of being suitable or to do something, is not something everyone can have.
Amalie Silver amazed me with her art... simply FANTASTIC .
If you read this book you'll see she wrote about more than one genre
~IreneOust~
Aug 03, 2016 ~IreneOust~ rated it it was amazing
This was a super FUN read! If you are comfortable enough in your own skin and can laugh at yourself, you'll enjoy this immensely!

Review to follow.
MELISSA
Jul 23, 2014 MELISSA rated it really liked it
4 Smeep Stars!
(BR with Patty & Denisse)

photo f9207bb2-b0ba-4656-a005-4e4df497b7de.jpg

photo 9588034b-557c-4394-8fd5-97878942ff0f.jpg

Michael Rourke is a 31 yr. old writer who lives in Portland, and enjoys writing mysteries. He is just a single, average guy living a normal quiet life. He is running low on money, and not too successful as an author. His first couple books are failures. Fifty Shades & erotica are the rage, & he needs a paycheck, so he decides to give in to what is currently in demand.

photo 5946b617-3955-41a2-b671-584d6177a445.jpg

Michael begins writing erotica under the pen name Christoph Strong. Nobody k
Sarah ❤
4.5 Smeeping-Over-Michael-Rourke Stars

ARC buddy read with the best!

Michael Rourke is a mystery/thriller author who makes a living by writing and selling erotica books because smut sells. He writes his romance books under the pen name Christoph Strong because he does not want his friends and family finding out that he makes a living writing sex scenes.
Everything changes for Michael when he meets the blogger, Monica Singer, at a book convention and realizes she is the one woman he never wants t
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
2-2,5 Disappointed Stars

I began this book with every intention to love it but it didn't work out as I wanted. You know what they say... High expectations make for great disappointments.

It's not that the book was such a disaster, but I just couldn't connect with the characters and the whole thing felt shallow. Honestly the 2.5 thing is mostly because I didn't actually want to DNF the book while reading. It wasn't boring, it was just kind of... silly? As you can see I don't have the words to descr
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
3.5 Fun and Smeepy Stars!

OH Michael Rourke...I love a good murder mystery...but you got caught up in the propaganda, the FSOG movement, the "what everyone woman wants now" genre!

Losing sales and swagger, he has become Christoph Strong, writer of erotica, author of the swoon worthy male, keeper of smut, lol! He writes the stuff we horny women love, but he does it all while hiding his identity.

It is a competitive world out there and when the readers, the publishers, the bloggers all want a piece
Laylaw
Jun 17, 2014 Laylaw rated it it was amazing
5 Smeep, Peanut Butter M&M, Angsty Stars!

Word Play by Amalie Silver was on my TBR for a little while and I was lucky enough to score an ARC for an honest review, so after hopping in on a buddy read, I was all set to go. What I did not expect was to be BLOWN away by this book. It had everything in it, love, a little mystery, some serious angst, satire and some serious Laugh out Loud moments!!

The book starts off and catches you right away, we are reading an excerpt from Christoph Strong's book
Amalie Silver
May 12, 2014 Amalie Silver added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Amy (Foxy)
May 28, 2014 Amy (Foxy) marked it as to-read
Recommended to Amy (Foxy) by: ~IreneOust~
Irene said that this book is "HYSTERICAL!! And "You guys will have so much fun w/it if/when U read it!"

How could I NOT add this book on that recommendation?!

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
3.5 STARS

You deserve a good laugh and Amalie Silver most certainly delivers! Get your FREE copy of Wordplay <"FREE" and pre-order the Prequel, Four Play here

This funny satire about the romance book community is FREE! I promise it'll get some straight out laughter out of you, at least a good chuckle and oh... Some blushing too. Sexy times ahead!