Hop on Pop Book & CD

Hop on Pop Book & CD

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  29,393 ratings  ·  731 reviews

Hop on Pop (Book + CD)

Now on CD! This classic Beginner Book is now a brand-new book and audio CD, with word-for-word storytelling by David Hyde Pierce.

Published January 5th 2005 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

Leftbanker
Call me old fashioned but I think that there is far too much pop hopping going on in America these days. It's disgusting, possibly even revolting and then they turn around and turn it into a children's book? What's next? Leaving two unsupervised children alone with a giant cat? An elephant wedging an egg in his butt? Non-traditionally colored eggs and pork products? A Christmas-thieving scallywag? A fox wearing human undergarments? Oobleck? That just has to be filthy. Where does it end?
Mike
It just didn't do it for me--no character development, no irony, no existential angst, it was almost like a children's book.
Mike
At first I thought it was really sad the way the children showed such a great amount of disrespect for their father. It seems today many children "Hop on Pop" as well as mothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even friends in a desperate attempt to get attention in a world where so many children are ignored. As I read on, it became clear that it was not "teen angst" or "rebellion" that caused them to "Hop on Pop", but an effort to feel loved and spend quality time with dad. I would recommend "Hop o...more
G.c.
Jun 24, 2007 G.c. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Why I hate theis wonderful book.

“HOP ON POP”
by Gerard C. Smith

Come "Hop on Pop," my Lisa said
And hop of course is what she did
Her brother joined in with a jump
On Poppa’s tum he went crash-bump
Lisa hopped and hopped some more
She knocked poor Poppa to the floor
Both kids did bounce, each up and down
Poor Pop was trounced and he did frown
Now he hates that bastard T. Geisel
And hopes the rotter roasts in hell

Rfrancik
Full of three letter words in a unique and visually practical graphical format Hop on Pop takes the reader through several humerous story about creatures whose actions are characterized by simple phonetically repetitious words.

Hop on Pop was different from any of the other phonics readers I looked at. To begin with the story makes sense. We immediately like the characters whose expressions show an astounding range of emotion. Best of all Suess uses vocabulary an emerging reader can sound out in...more
Will
Oct 16, 2008 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Will by: My Mommy
I love this book and I have read it several times. My favorite character is Will Hill, he is the one who goes up the hill. For some reason the author felt compelled to rhyme line after line, but I will not whine because this book is so very fine. There is danger- when the people playing ball fall off of the wall and when they fight all night, and there are some adult themes like when Red, Ned, Ted and Ed are in bed and when Mr. Black leaves his wife for Mr. Brown. Otherwise it is a wholesome rea...more
Maria
"The simplest Seuss for youngest use". Indeed. Most illustrations come in pairs with the punch-line in the second one. Gotta love a book that shows a kid aggressively biting a tiger's tail or two kids hitting one another in the head with tennis racquets. The man is a genius.
Patricia
Sep 17, 2007 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2 year olds and their parents
I am currently reading this book. And I'll be reading it again in 5 minutes. And 10 minutes after that. It is my daughter's favorite book. A special thanks to Dr. Seuss for making this book tolerable to read over and over.
Tyler Jones
Sometimes fiction follows a logic of its own. Sometimes this fictional logic explains the world in clearer terms than a purely “realistic” story ever could. Sometimes an author subtly injects metaphor into a narrative to illustrate a point, but occasionally the entire narrative is itself metaphorical. Take, for example, The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka in which the protagonist wakes up one morning to discover he has been turn into a big cockroach. This is not realism. If we reject the story beca...more
Chicklet
Sep 01, 2007 Chicklet rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: begining readers
Shelves: picture-books
I have a funny story about a friend and this book.
A friend of mine told me that in 8th grade she was assigned the task of writing a book report. My friend noted that the teacher said nothing about the length or level of the book and took full advantage. She chose Hop on Pop. The best part is that she made her book report about parental abuse....
Austin
An ambitious exploration of social dexterity, "Hop on Pop" may be the most important book of our time. Rather than viewing Pop-hopping as rude or cruel, Seuss argues that it is a delightful, possibly necessary act.

"Hop on Pop" is the most important, timely book you will ever read. Now excuse me, I've got to find my Pop.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
If There's A Wocket in My Pocket was full of made-up words for rhyme's sake, Hop On Pop is full of couplings for rhymes sake. The first pages go:

"UP PUP
Pup is up.

CUP PUP
Pup in cup.

PUP CUP
Cup on pup."

It pretty much follows that format all the way through, and I have to say, they aren't the easiest rhymes to say! Some of them are absolute tongue twisters, which I think was deliberate.

What's cool about it is how it's a grammar book in disguise. The kids I read this too are young toddlers, busy con...more
Shane
This book was decent. I mean,it has it moments, but you have to admit that it is somewhat over-rated when you compare it to this alleged "Dr.'s" other works. For instance, are we supposed to believe that this doctor actually wrote books that do not rise about a first-grade reading level? Come on.
Erin
This was my absolute favorite title of a book growing up. My brother, a friend and I would jump around chanting "Hop on pop. Diddly dop." Do I remember the actual book? Not so much. But that only attests to the genius of Dr. Suess. Sure, why not.
Karla
Okay I just had to add this one, as a joke, because it's this book, and ones similar that I spend most of my time reading these days, but hey Alex loves it, and I love that he loves to hear stories, so I can't complain.
Alfreda
Hop on Pop was just another one of those Dr. Seuss books that are just fun to read. Hop on Pop is just a fun book to read. They're bouncing all over the place including their dad, hints the title Hop On Pop!
Melissa
Genre: Fantasy

Review: Amazon.com Review
First published in 1963, Hop on Pop remains a perennial favorite when it comes to teaching kids to read. Here, as in most of his extensive body of work, Dr. Seuss creates uncomplicated, monosyllabic rhymes to foster learning and inspire children to read. But what was radical about this little book at the time of publication (and what makes it still compelling today) is Seuss's departure from the traditionally dull pictures and sentences used in reading prim...more
Lissa
Hop on Pop is a wonderful way for children to learn about rhyming words. The words are basic and easy, and with lots of repetition this can be a great first book to read. The illustrations coincide with the words which clarifies the meanings of the words. The characters that Dr. Seuss uses are fun and interesting which makes this book entertaining for all.

Learning Experience:
This activity helps children recognize rhyming words and uses gross motor skills. I found this activity from the website w...more
Barbara
Dr. Seuss is of course a classic, but this book is a great memory for me because it always reminded me of my dad. My family all calls my dad "pop" and it always reminds me of him. The rhyming and the creative ideas that come from his books are amazing. I will recommend Dr. Seuss to anybody at any age. No one is too old or young for these books. All great reads that are fun to collect! These Dr. Suess books are a great teaching tool for classrooms. They teach students how to rhyme, different word...more
Robbie Bashore
My daughter and I had a great time with this book when she was in the very first stages of learning to read. This is probably one of the easiest of of the Dr. Seuss books. We laughed the most when we decided to say all of the words using the wrong vowel sounds e.g. "Hope on Pope" :)
Heather
Our all time favorite learn-to-read book. Deals with word families so kids start to see how it all works. And makes it easier to read since they know the ending sounds.
Ellary
Beautiful. Just beautiful. The roller coaster of emotions upon which the reader is taken! From fun playing ball on a wall to the tragedy of falling off said wall. From the belly laughs evoked as we follow Pat's journey sitting on various household items to the sheer panic at the prospect of Pat impaling his rump on the likes of a cactus. From the innocent child's play of wrestling with a loving father to a shameful and scarring reprimand. The characters could not be more relatable as they are al...more
Megan
The first book I ever read. The perfect first book to read. My whole life has been perfect, all because of this book.
John Yelverton
More fun and delight from the great and brilliant mind of Dr. Seuss.
Margaret
This was one of the first books I ever learned to read.
Katie
An absolute nessecity on any toddler's bookshelf. :-)
Marlon
The first book i ever read! good times!
Jenni Kemling
Summary

Hop on Pop is a children’s book written by Dr. Seuss. It takes two rhyming words in big bold letters at the top of the page and uses them in a short sentence below it. It then has bright, colorful, funny pictures below to depict what is going on in the sentence. It then goes on in later pages making slightly longer sentences as children understand the dynamic of the book and begin to understand and read the words. The illustrations have similar characters for a few pages and then they ch...more
Jared Little
This is one of my favorite childhood books. In fact, it was this book that gave me a great deal of confidence in reading as a child. The story is simple, about a few anthropomorphic figures hopping on their father, (pop) but the language is simple and easy to read. Dr. Seuss is a wizard when it comes to children's literature, and I will surely have a few of his works on my list.

I can imagine a class reading this book and writing their own story using simple language. It is also a great way to te...more
Matt Guendel
This is just a typical Dr. Seuss that rhymes and doesn't have a story line. I didn't particularly like it compared to other Dr. Seuss books like Green Eggs and Ham, and the Grinch. This book rhymes about colors and clothing objects. I also read this book to Cade last weekend. He really enjoys Dr. Seuss, and I think this is a great book for young kids, judging on his personal reaction to the book. The illustrations in this book are typical to any Dr. Seuss book. I always kind of wondered why his...more
Seuss Lovers: Hop on Pop 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:38PM
  • Horns to Toes
  • The Nose Book
  • Bears in the Night
  • Big Dog...Little Dog
  • All by Myself
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Clifford, We Love You (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball!
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax

“Day