Mieko and the Fifth Treasure

Mieko and the Fifth Treasure

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When the bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, Mieko's nearby village was turned into ruins, and her hand was badly injured. Mieko loves to do calligraphy more than anything, but now she can barely hold a paintbrush. And she feels as if she has lost something that she can't paint without-the legendary fifth treasure, beauty in the heart. Then she is sent to live with her grandpare...more
Published April 14th 2003 by Puffin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mieko and the Fifth Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mieko and the Fifth Treasure

Kwesi 章英狮
Nagasaki a small fishing village secluded by harbors as one of Japan's richest city having the largest sea ports and had great wartime importance for its wide-ranging activity, including the production of ships, military equipment and other war materials. For having an old-fashioned houses and industrial warehouse, Nagasaki become fragile from fire and bombing at the same time the manufactured bombs that been stored can be easily activated from the World War II nuclear bombing causing thousands...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Daniel Meek
While reading this book, I felt that Eleanor Coerr hadn't down her best and could have done better which I've experienced when reading her earlier and more acclaimed read, "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes." Given that this book is a short story, Coerr needed more detail as well as more facts and statistics of Mieko's past in order to fully develop the story. In the end, I was not pleased nor happy of the outcome of the novel.

The book begins with you (the reader) being introduced to Mieko an...more
Nikki
Can most avid readers trace their love of books back to the first truly great book they read? I don't know, but this is the first great book I ever read. I know some people would say Dr. Seuss was the first great they ever read, but I disagree. Dr. Seuss never had meaning for me until I was much older. "Mieko and the Fifth Treasure" was the first book that ever really meant anything to me. I read it at the beginning of second grade and I think I read about 30 more books that year and none even c...more
Ryoko
Mieko is a Japanese girl. She loves to do calligraphy, because calligraphy is her most favorite thing. But she was really upset that her hand was badly damaged by the Hiroshima bomb, and doctor told her that her hand will never gets better. She had to move away from Hiroshima and live with her grandparents. In her new school, she get bullied from boys... What will happen to Mieko? This book is fantastic! You should read this book!
Jenna
A short story with not a lot of history or storyline. Mieko and her town get hit by an American bomb and it is interesting to see us as the bad guy. It makes one feel sorry for the people in Japan who did nothing wrong and yet got punished. Anyway, Mieko hand got burned and deformed so she can't paint which is her passion. It is about friendship and following your dream.
Teresa
This is another book where the author discusses about another child who has troubles and goes through some difficulties to overachieve during WWII. She talks about her fifth treasure (beauty in the heart) and it’s importance to help her paint well. This shows that the author has a great view for the Japanese culture and the things they faced through big events like a war.
Emilee Booth
I read this for summer reading - I'm not sure when but I was pretty young, because I remember not having a clue what the significance of Nagasaki was. I remember this book pretty well, though. It's about a girl who loses her parents and is also injured in the bomb. The book is about physical and spiritual healing, and art too.
Ginger Jantz
This is a very simple story. It doesn't address the aftermath of the atomic bomb, but instead focuses on peoples' "everyday" cruelty to each other and how one girl deals with it. I was shocked to learn that the Japanese not living in Hiroshima or Nagasaki at the time of the bombing treated the victims/survivors as pariahs.
Sandy
Jan 31, 2010 Sandy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: asian
Set during the time when the atomic bomb is dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, young Mieko is sent to live with her grandparents in the countryside, away from the atomic bombs aftermath. This is a touching story about a young girl's struggle to deal with how the bomb affected her personally.
Mrs. G
This book is good for fifth grade students. The vocabulary is not too difficult. The author makes good use of similies. I didn't like the ending, but it would be a good book if you wanted to teach students about making predictions and coming up with alternate endings.
Abigail
A beautiful book about the power of resilience, friendship, and belief in yourself.
WARNING FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN: Talks about the atom bombs, albeit in very gentle terms, so be prepared for the possibility of more difficult discussions.
Twyla
Beth
This author also wrote Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.
Theresa
a very sad story of survival and loss
Janay S.
Mar 28, 2013 Janay S. marked it as to-read
I swear I've already read this...
Michelle Kelly
Le
Le marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jackie Demerais
Jackie Demerais marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Cabdiyare90outloook.com
Cabdiyare90outloook.com marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Eleanor Coerr was born in Kamsack, Saskatchewan, Canada, and grew up in Saskatoon. Two of her favorite childhood hobbies were reading and making up stories.

Her fascination with Japan began when she received a book called Little Pictures of Japan one Christmas. It showed children in beautiful kimonos playing games, chasing butterflies, and catching crickets. She pored over the colored illustrations...more
More about Eleanor Coerr...
Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes The Big Balloon Race The Josefina Story Quilt Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express Chang's Paper Pony