Start by marking “Mieko and the Fifth Treasure” as Want to Read:
Mieko and the Fifth Treasure

Mieko and the Fifth Treasure

When the bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, Mieko's nearby village was turned into ruins, and her hand was badly injured. Mieko loves to do calligraphy more than anything, but now she can barely hold a paintbrush. And she feels as if she has lost something that she can't paint without-the legendary fifth treasure, beauty in the heart. Then she is sent to live with her grandpare ...more
Published April 14th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mieko and the Fifth Treasure, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kwesi 章英狮
Nagasaki a small fishing village secluded by harbors as one of Japan's richest city having the largest sea ports and had great wartime importance for its wide-ranging activity, including the production of ships, military equipment and other war materials. For having an old-fashioned houses and industrial warehouse, Nagasaki become fragile from fire and bombing at the same time the manufactured bombs that been stored can be easily activated from the World War II nuclear bombing causing thousands ...more
Daniel Meek
May 15, 2012 Daniel Meek rated it did not like it
While reading this book, I felt that Eleanor Coerr hadn't down her best and could have done better which I've experienced when reading her earlier and more acclaimed read, "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes." Given that this book is a short story, Coerr needed more detail as well as more facts and statistics of Mieko's past in order to fully develop the story. In the end, I was not pleased nor happy of the outcome of the novel.

The book begins with you (the reader) being introduced to Mieko an
Cornelia
Jun 02, 2016 Cornelia rated it really liked it
It's the story of a little girl who goes to live with her grandparents after the bombs drop on Japan during WW2. Born with a natural gift for calligraphy and art, the injury she receives when the bomb is dropped calls her ability into question by making her question her fifth treasure, "the beauty in the heart." It is this gift that makes her such a talented artist. This is the story of how she finds it again. As Publisher's Weekly said, "Overall, this is a sensitively and beautifully crafted st ...more
Ginger Jantz
Jul 14, 2012 Ginger Jantz rated it liked it
This is a very simple story. It doesn't address the aftermath of the atomic bomb, but instead focuses on peoples' "everyday" cruelty to each other and how one girl deals with it. I was shocked to learn that the Japanese not living in Hiroshima or Nagasaki at the time of the bombing treated the victims/survivors as pariahs.
Michelle Kelly
Wonderful read!
Sura M. al jilawi
May 02, 2016 Sura M. al jilawi rated it it was amazing
The fifth treasure could be anything, confidence, trustworthy, love, friendship, and beauty.
When you have the fifth treasure, that means you have everything, that means you have the life.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a very sad story of survival and loss
Harold
Jun 05, 2017 Harold rated it liked it
This short, simple, and sweet little novel tells the story of Mieko - a young Japanese girl injured by the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and struggling to heal herself - both physically and emotionally. I read this with a class of ESL students, who responded well to the book's themes of friendship and overcoming adversity. Touching, but not heavy-handed.
Isabelle
Mar 09, 2017 Isabelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody and everybody
Shelves: best-reads, misc
Short and sweet, Mieko and the Fifth Treasure tells about a young artist who's hand was injured in the atomic bomb on japan. Mieko struggles to believe that her hand will get better and she will paint word pictures.
Renée
May 11, 2017 Renée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Amazing book that made my daughter smile and cry all at the same time! Wow....we read this together for her 4th grade portfolio project.
Huong Pham
May 20, 2017 Huong Pham rated it really liked it
A short and lovely story. One of books that I would like to read to kids later.
Maria
Mar 13, 2017 Maria rated it liked it
We all have gifts with in us, nothing can change that ❤ thanks Mieko for remind me of that. ...more
Guillermo Soto
Mar 08, 2017 Guillermo Soto rated it really liked it
Certain people we meet give us back parts of us that we once lost.
Sergiu Baciurin
Feb 24, 2017 Sergiu Baciurin rated it it was amazing
Story tells how weak we are and how strong we can be.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Indudhar Andanur
Feb 08, 2017 Indudhar Andanur rated it liked it
Cute little story!!
Nikki
May 25, 2007 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Can most avid readers trace their love of books back to the first truly great book they read? I don't know, but this is the first great book I ever read. I know some people would say Dr. Seuss was the first great they ever read, but I disagree. Dr. Seuss never had meaning for me until I was much older. "Mieko and the Fifth Treasure" was the first book that ever really meant anything to me. I read it at the beginning of second grade and I think I read about 30 more books that year and none even c ...more
Tanja
Oct 13, 2016 Tanja rated it really liked it
I am always looking for more historical fiction at a lower text level and I am happy to have found this book. A thought-provoking, touching and beautifully told story, set in Japan in the time after the atomic bombs were dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. A young girl is trying to come to terms with the aftermath, her own injury, being separated from her parents, and to find new hope. A talented artist, she seemed to have lost what made her calligraphy so special, the fifth treasure, beauty in t ...more
Ryoko
Aug 14, 2013 Ryoko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mieko is a Japanese girl. She loves to do calligraphy, because calligraphy is her most favorite thing. But she was really upset that her hand was badly damaged by the Hiroshima bomb, and doctor told her that her hand will never gets better. She had to move away from Hiroshima and live with her grandparents. In her new school, she get bullied from boys... What will happen to Mieko? This book is fantastic! You should read this book!
Evan
A fairly short, easy reader (11 chapters, each about 6-9 pages) chapter book, it paints a tragically beautiful picture of post-WWII Japan, focusing on the suffering of one young girl who has a talent for art (specifically ink calligraphy) but has lost the 'fifth treasure': beauty in the heart. It ends up being a heartwarming story of friendship, creative confidence and growth, the ending fruit for discussion.
Emilee Booth
Jul 09, 2008 Emilee Booth rated it really liked it
I read this for summer reading - I'm not sure when but I was pretty young, because I remember not having a clue what the significance of Nagasaki was. I remember this book pretty well, though. It's about a girl who loses her parents and is also injured in the bomb. The book is about physical and spiritual healing, and art too.
Teresa
Apr 22, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edre-4870
This is another book where the author discusses about another child who has troubles and goes through some difficulties to overachieve during WWII. She talks about her fifth treasure (beauty in the heart) and it’s importance to help her paint well. This shows that the author has a great view for the Japanese culture and the things they faced through big events like a war.
Jenna
Mar 20, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it
A short story with not a lot of history or storyline. Mieko and her town get hit by an American bomb and it is interesting to see us as the bad guy. It makes one feel sorry for the people in Japan who did nothing wrong and yet got punished. Anyway, Mieko hand got burned and deformed so she can't paint which is her passion. It is about friendship and following your dream.
Carolyn Tye
Mar 27, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it really liked it
This is a very easy book to acquaint children to how awful it must have been to witness the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It also it a testament to the healing g power of friendship. I would recommend this book for early elementary age and up.
Mrs. G
May 11, 2010 Mrs. G rated it liked it
Shelves: for-teaching
This book is good for fifth grade students. The vocabulary is not too difficult. The author makes good use of similies. I didn't like the ending, but it would be a good book if you wanted to teach students about making predictions and coming up with alternate endings.
Firefly_1824
Jan 27, 2016 Firefly_1824 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, owned, japan
I enjoyed the story, although I think some of the post WWII life of the Japanese wasn't really accurately portrayed. The story is engaging and contemplative, and the artist's relationship with her art it well portrayed.
Abigail
Nov 13, 2009 Abigail rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about the power of resilience, friendship, and belief in yourself.
WARNING FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN: Talks about the atom bombs, albeit in very gentle terms, so be prepared for the possibility of more difficult discussions.
Sandy
Jan 31, 2010 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: asian
Set during the time when the atomic bomb is dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, young Mieko is sent to live with her grandparents in the countryside, away from the atomic bombs aftermath. This is a touching story about a young girl's struggle to deal with how the bomb affected her personally.
Twyla
  • Secrets of the Red Lantern: Stories and Recipes from the Heart
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • The Adventures of Abdi
  • Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion
  • Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • Home And Away
  • Enigma: A Magical Mystery
  • The Sea Of Tranquility
  • Museum ABC
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Memorial
  • The Rainbow People
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
  • Imagine
Eleanor Coerr was born in Kamsack, Saskatchewan, Canada, and grew up in Saskatoon. Two of her favorite childhood hobbies were reading and making up stories.

Her fascination with Japan began when she received a book called Little Pictures of Japan one Christmas. It showed children in beautiful kimonos playing games, chasing butterflies, and catching crickets. She pored over the colored illustrations
More about Eleanor Coerr...