Start by marking “Charlie (Little Golden Readers)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Diane Fox Downs

Charlie (Little Golden Readers)

When Charlie, a city cat, hears how wonderful life is in the country, he decides to move there.
Library Binding, 24 pages
Published September 1st 1984 by Goldencraft (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie

A pleasant little book about a starving kitten who goes in search of a home. It is cute enough but not exactly exciting or original. However, lest we become bored with the poor-kitten-finds-forever-home motif, let us remember that many little kittens, Sprocket included, will be able to relate to it from their own personal experience. Sprocket enjoyed the story and now he wants his own courtyard with trees and goldfish and kitten pals.
Tommy Frerking
I have no words to describe what this book means to me. When I was a small child, just barely able to read, I had this book and It's magic captivated me. Shortly after that my family came in possession of three small stray kittens, one of them a scrawny orange tabby, so of course he was named Charlie, and he became my childhood best friend for years. Upon reflection, this might have been the book that lead me to want to write fiction.
I'm surprised I've never rated this book prior to now! I've definitely read it with S multiple times in the past, and he enjoys it but it was never one of his major favorites. I moved it into L's room a while ago, and she recently started picking it out sometimes at bedtime, chanting "key-cat! key-cat!" and "Meowmeowmeowmeow!" Needless to say, she likes it a lot and will actually sit through the whole thing, even though the text is a little lengthy for a not-quite-2-year-old.
This was definitely
Apr 02, 2011 Mommalibrarian rated it it was amazing
- - -
Charlie was a feral cat, starving in an ugly city when he stumbles upon soft, green grass. Charlie plays Tiger in the Grass. It was a favorite with my young children.
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
A heart-warming story that will have your kids wanting a kitten, and crying when you walk past the animal shelter lol. Seriously, it is a cute story.
Beth Hayhoe
Mar 24, 2015 Beth Hayhoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book as a child, and recently re-aquired it. It's a delightful story of a city cat looking for a home, and a place to play "tiger in the grass."
Susan Guyer
Susan Guyer rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Meagan rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Dancingdiva rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Tricia Schneider
Tricia Schneider rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Vin rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Karyn rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
JasperKat rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Thomas Baumgarten
Thomas Baumgarten rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2015
Yvonne Crawford
Yvonne Crawford rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Marni rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
I love this book. It is about a alley cat finding a family.
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2008
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Philippa Rae
Philippa Rae rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
Kristan Valleau
Kristan Valleau rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
L rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Charlie's Search for a new home. Very cute book.