Death's Bright Dart

Death's Bright Dart (Dr. R.V. Davie #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The quiet room seemed to explode. People started out of their seats. Exclamations, reserved and small in themselves, amalgamated like a whistle of steam. As there was nothing he could do. Davie stood watching the extraordinary picture’

It was just another conference in a Cambridge College during the vacation – or so it seemed. But there were some disturbing features about i...more
Mass Market Paperback, 223 pages
Published May 15th 1982 by Dell (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Bright Dart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Bright Dart

Monk's Hood by Ellis PetersHamlet by William ShakespeareSparkling Cyanide by Agatha ChristieArsenic and Old Lace by Joseph KesselringThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Poison
86th out of 99 books — 23 voters
The Secret History by Donna TarttWell-Schooled in Murder by Elizabeth  GeorgeMiss Pym Disposes by Josephine TeyGentlemen and Players by Joanne HarrisThe Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell
School Murder Mysteries
67th out of 67 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy Oakes
I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years. I'm kicking myself in the rumpus for not reading it earlier; I would have been through the series (which I also have sitting on my shelf) by now and probably with good memories. I actually enjoyed this book; written in 1967, it is highly reminiscent of an earlier, more classic period of mystery writing that I enjoy so much.

Here's a brief description (don't worry; no spoilers):
A conference is held at Cambridge University in England, and as one of...more
Bev Hankins
From the back of the book: "The speaker stepped to the podium. The audience waited expectantly. But before the celebrated scientist could utter a word, he clutched his neck, gasped and fell to the ground--the victim of a poisoned dart.

Clearly someone at the conference could handle a primitive blowpipe with deadly precision. The inquisitive Dr. Davie did some research of his own and discovered that each of the distinguished scientists had something to hide. Now he had to discover which one was ve...more
Cindy
Nov 30, 2008 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of classic mystery
Shelves: mysteries
A fun academic mystery set in Cambridge. Professor Bruen suddenly drops dead in the middle of his lecture on poisons. Hmm, what a coincidence! The forward compares this book to Michael Innes, Edmund Crispin, and others and I have to agree. Plenty of suspects, plenty of motives.
Nikki
Dr. Davie of Cambridge investigates the death of a lecturer. Although published in the late '60s, this read like an older book to me (that is as if it had been written before I was born). I wasn't too impressed although I generally like academic mysteries.
Jill
Feb 08, 2010 Jill added it
Death's bright dart by V. C Clinton-Baddeley (1970)
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jun 13, 2012
Academic Mysteries
Academic Mysteries marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Jinjer
Jinjer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2012
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2011
Bored And
Bored And marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2010
V(ictor Vaughan Reynolds Geraint) C(linton) Clinton-Baddeley was born in Devon, England. He received an M.A. in history from Jesus College, Cambridge. For a time he was editor of the modern history section of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, but soon turned to theatre and acting and then to radio, where he worked with W. B. Yeats as his poetry reader. His previous writings include works of literary a...more
More about V.C. Clinton-Baddeley...
My Foe Outstretch'd Beneath The Tree To Study a Long Silence Only A Matter Of Time No Case for the Police The Burlesque Tradition in the English theatre after 1660