Start by marking “The Sweet Season: A Sportswriter Rediscovers Football, Family, and a Bit of Faith at Minnesota's St. John's University” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  11 reviews
After fifteen years as a Sports Illustrated writer, pleading for interviews with large men in possession of larger egos, Austin Murphy decides to bail out. The time has come, he concludes, to fly beneath the radar of big-league sports, to while away a season with the Johnnies. So, he moves his family to the middle of Minnesota to chronicle a season at St. John's, a Divisio ...more
Published August 20th 2002 by It Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Season

Dale Stonehouse
I had read this book about 9 years ago but I got started on it again after finding it at Goodwill. My world must have changed a great deal in the interim because it seems much richer and more vibrant than I remember. Perhaps that is a reflection of the richness of my life's journey during that time. It is still a great story about St. John's football and it helps that I actually know some of the people involved at the time. I took pictures at a few games that season because Brandon Novak, All-Am ...more
Robert
Follows little Div. III college football power house St. Johns on their quest for a Stagg Bowl Championship. Murphy's moves his family from SF out to Minnesota for the season, and he attempts to juggle following the team along with becoming closer to his own family. His own kids are pretty hysterical, especially the son. Coach Gagliardi seems to be everything that is right with college athletics. Nice to see Rowan University get about two paragraphs in this book (sadly none of it was all too pos ...more
Mark Kasten
The book's best delights come from being as continually surprised as the author as he (re)discovers both life's simple and not-so simple pleasures in his sojourn from prime time to small town.
Michael
I read this while I worked as a bookseller at Borders. I found it while reshelving books, and since it is about my alma mater, I decided to read it. The prose is pretty straightforward, and the book is an easy read. The story is good, and any time I get the chance to read a good story about SJU, I will read it. I would like to see a story on SJU CC, though.
Ann
Austin Murphy is a witty writer and because I know SJU well, it was fun to hear his take on the school, monks, football. I liked how he interspersed his family and their history into the book. A great and quick read! This was also one of the books on the AHA summer reading list and thus far, might be one of my favorite books this summer.
Dave
Dec 22, 2007 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sports fans, mostly, and sports media types.
It's a nice tale of dropping out from the rat race. Austin Murphy learned about more than just football by taking a fall to cover Division III St. John's. He seemed to have strengthened his family life as well by getting off the treadmill, which sometimes a sports writer needs to do. As a sports writer myself, I could relate to a lot of it.
Nicola
I liked this book because the author took a sabbatical to St. John's University, where I spent a lot of time in college. I could imagine all the places that he was talking about. And it helped that my husband has been teaching me about football, so that I wasn't too lost. Thanks Jason!
Mike Gregory
This book resonated with me as a passionate fan of Division III football. John Gagliardi is the NCAA record holder for wins in college football at all levels. But he also represents what is noble and honorable in athletic competition.
Scott
I laughed out loud more during this book than any I've ever read. Football, family and faith is a perfect summary of the themes. Murphy is a great story teller.
Kelli
Sports as a metaphor for life is always classic and wonderful.
jake
football jerks will love this one.
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Atb
Atb added it
Jan 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Dawn Hadley
Dawn Hadley marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Anne Marie
Anne Marie is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Scott Hamilton
Scott Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How Tough Could It Be?: The Trials and Errors of a Sportswriter Turned Stay-at-Home Dad Saturday Rules: A Season with Trojans and Domers (and Gators and Buckeyes and Wolverines) The Triumph of Evil The Super Bowl - Sport's Greatest Championship Scientific Investment Analysis