Start by marking “A Fine Daughter” as Want to Read:
A Fine Daughter

A Fine Daughter

"Alberta Trade Book of the YearSet in Little Cypress, a small prairie town in the 1950s, "A Fine Daughter" is the story of Fran and her illegitimate daughter, Cora. Together, on a journey toward love and acceptance, they learn to confront the strict morality that's made them outsiders.
Published September 10th 2002 by Red Deer Press (first published September 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Daughter

Jayme
Nov 13, 2008 Jayme rated it liked it
The plot of this novel is uncomplicated: A pregnant teenager goes to live in a prairie town, works in the general store and gives birth to a daughter. Fran refuses to give up her child, instead choosing to raise her in the judgmental town. She finds support from the owner of the general store and his ailing mother.

Like all small towns, Little Cypress has secrets and as these unfold, the characters in this book come to life. There’s plenty of nostalgia in this story for anyone who has grown up on
Joanne
Jul 22, 2015 Joanne rated it liked it
After a bit of a slow start, I really got into this book and liked it so much. The characters were interesting and complicated, and mostly likable, with the serious exception of The Good Doctor, a man so hypocritical and dislikable as to bring me to wish him every plague. Oh well, can't like everyone.
Mazohyst
Whenever I read something that starts out beautifully, I'm instantly skeptical of whether or not it'll stay that way. Of course, that was the case for this novel. I'm pleased to say that this novel stayed consistent in the narration from beginning to end.

I was entranced by Niven's voice and I can say the same for her characters. I'm not sure if they're too quirky to be real or if I'm just not attuned to human nature enough, but they were all characters I felt attached to. That gets thrown around
Gisele
Mar 27, 2016 Gisele rated it it was amazing
An easy read that is beautifully written... What an impressive first novel for Catherine Simmons Niven! The story of Fran and her illegitimate daughter Cora...their life in a small prairie town in the 1950s and about the magical journey that life can be when one dares to open their mind and heart to the joys of being true to oneself... The writing reminded me of Alice Hoffman's...really enjoyed it!
Susan
May 21, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Lovely language, interesting and quirky characters, with the exception of the good doctor, who I thoroughly despised. An easy read.
Luce Cronin
Mar 19, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book! Creates wonderful pictures in your head and speaks of the love of nature, and being yourself
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
August
August rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Katherine Bennett
Katherine Bennett rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 06, 2016
Michelle Rubey
Michelle Rubey rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Gabby Kloppenburg
Gabby Kloppenburg rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Helaine Stoller
Helaine Stoller marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jenny
Jenny added it
Mar 29, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
gourmetkat
gourmetkat rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Ayny
Ayny rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Hippiemouse420
Hippiemouse420 rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014