Start by marking “Blenheim” as Want to Read:
Blenheim

Blenheim

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
By the summer of 1704 Louis XIV's vast armies dominated Europe. France defeated every alliance formed against her and Louis was poised to extend his frontier to the Rhine and install a French prince on the throne of Spain. Two men saved Europe from French military domination: the Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene of Savoy. Marlborough masterminded a brilliant campaign, ...more
Published August 5th 2004 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson

To ask other readers questions about Blenheim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blenheim

'Aussie Rick'
Aug 29, 2014 'Aussie Rick' rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Battle for Europe by Charles Spencer is a riveting account of the great battle fought at Blenheim between Allied forces under the command of John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, and the French Army of Louis XIV on August 13, 1704. This is a splendidly told story, not only covering this pivotal battle but the events leading up to it and the main characters involved, including my favourite, Prince Eugene of Savoy.

This battle possibly changed the course of European history with the near destructio
Rindis
Jun 24, 2016 Rindis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, kindle
Charles Spenser is certainly correct in his assertion that the Battle of Blenheim is one of the more important battles of history that is not well remembered today. This is more surprising in the English-speaking world since it was an English commander in charge, and English troops played an important part in the battle.

I'm not so sure how much I can go for his subtitle, "How Two Men Stopped The French Conquest Of Europe", however. It's not just a tag put on by the publisher, as it is certainly
George
Aug 04, 2014 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: 18th-century, history
A fascinating look at the War of the Spanish Succession in the early 18th century, with the decisive Battle of Blenheim in 1704 taking centre stage, and the history's protagonists being the heroic Prince Eugene of Savoy and Britain's military champion, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough: Ancestor of Sir Winston Churchill.

The book follows their campaigns against France's Louis XIV, the Sun King, and his ambitions to dominate Europe, and paints Blenheim as 'a seminal moment in [Britain's] histor
Vikas Datta
Dec 16, 2014 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rivetting read about this key battle at the dawn of the modern age...
Torsten
Mar 10, 2015 Torsten rated it liked it
I was deceived by the title. This book follows much more in the footsteps of Marlborough rather than telling the story of the battle. In addition whilst the author gives full credit to the role of Prince Eugene (the second of the two men) - the imperial perspective is not fully developed. This is primarily an english account.

As a battle account this book is inferior to Peter Englunds fantastic "The Battle that Shook Europe" about the 1709 battle of Poltava and Michael Shaaras "The Killer Angels"
David
Mar 03, 2016 David rated it liked it
This happened by accident. I read two books in a row by the same author. I was very excited to read this book because I had heard of the Duke of Marlborough and the Battle of Blenheim, but didn't know much about them. The last book I read was fast-paced and interesting, so I hoped for more of the same. I was not disappointed. It was exciting and did a good job of putting the man and battle in its historical context. My problem with the book is the bias of the author. I did not realize Charles Sp ...more
Just A. Bean
Dec 25, 2014 Just A. Bean rated it liked it
Well researched, of course, and reasonably well told, with lots of quotes from the diaries of soldiers and whatnot, but the book failed to convince me of the importance of the battle the author claimed was history making, and the last third of the book dragged badly. Spencer, I have noticed, tends to write overly positive accounts of his subjects, without really acknowledging their flaws or weaknesses. After this and Prince Rupert, I probably won't read anything else by him.
Fletcher Carter
Jul 22, 2015 Fletcher Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important . History undone by politics

I enjoyed this book. Koop t d opp especially not masterworks in describing the great achievement as of the Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene., and the significance of their victory, which was the start of France's fall from Europe a n predominance and the start. of England's ascendance.
Martin Watts
This book is teaching me more than I knew before about the Blenheim campaign. It ties in nicely with the history podcasts I listen to.

I was amused to learn that while in the French service at the siege of Maastricht John Churchill, the future Duke of Marlborough, served with the Count d'Artagnan who died there. Yes, that d'Artagnan.
Andrea Zuvich
Apr 09, 2015 Andrea Zuvich rated it it was amazing
Another excellent history book by Charles Spencer - he really knows how to bring major historical episodes to life. I enjoyed his detailed background into the history which led to the Blenheim, and the various historical figures who played a part in bringing Louis XIV's expansionism to an end. The only thing I didn't agree with was his stating that Queen Anne's son, William, Duke of Gloucester died from smallpox. From what I gathered from my own research, the physicians who attended the prince i ...more
Betsy
Dec 29, 2014 Betsy rated it really liked it
Excellent book about two great men who fought one of history's great battles.
Endeavour Press
Nov 10, 2014 Endeavour Press rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Peter
Jan 04, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if Charles Spencer would consider himself a historian or an amateur...but this book is both well written and extremely interesting.
Dixie
Feb 16, 2010 Dixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book and learned a ton--of course I didn't know anything about the Battle of Blenheim before reading this. Written by Princess Di's brother Charles Spencer. Well-written.
Chris Watson
Jul 15, 2009 Chris Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing battle. A frontal attack, across a river, against a superior force - larger, better equipped, better trained - and he routed them through sheer audacity and brilliant general-ship!!
Stephen Barry
Jan 27, 2010 Stephen Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of the Danube campaign and Marlborough's entry onto the world stage with enough credit given to Eugene of Savoy without whom the campaign would never have been possible.
Duncan
Apr 18, 2016 Duncan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumped a bit from fact to fact so I felt slightly bogged down at points
J R Chandler
J R Chandler marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Mary Botsaris
Mary Botsaris marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
David E Sharland
David E Sharland rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Sam Hale
Sam Hale marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Benjamin Finley
Benjamin Finley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Michal
Michal marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Seamus Mahoney
Seamus Mahoney marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
John Doran
John Doran marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
rupert c rucker
rupert c rucker rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Glenn
Glenn is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Timothy Lankford
Timothy Lankford marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia
  • The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross and Crescent
  • Rites of Peace: The Fall of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
  • Trial by Battle
  • Khartoum: The Ultimate Imperial Adventure
  • The Foundations of Early Modern Europe: 1460-1559
  • Waterloo: Four Days that Changed Europe's Destiny
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia
  • Russia Against Napoleon: The Battle for Europe, 1807 to 1814

Charles Edward Maurice Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer, DL is the second and only surviving son of John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer and the Honourable Frances Roche (later Frances Shand Kydd), daughter of the 4th Baron Fermoy. The youngest of his three older sisters was Diana, Prin
More about Charles Spencer...