Start by marking “Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC” as Want to Read:
Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC

Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  14 reviews
What is the secret to writing a great screenplay? Whether you're a beginning screenwriter or an A-list Academy Award winner, all writers struggle with the same thing: to get to the great script inside. Step by step, Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc guides you through an extraordinary new process that helps identify your thematic intention-what your story ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Three Mountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Inside Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Story

David Leroy
The past two years I have been reading practically everything worth reading on screenplay writing, not because I actually write screenplays, but because the world of MFA creative writing glosses over plot so fast that it offers very little in the way of story development. Inside Story stands far above anything so far that I have read because it offers a unique language for story that blends together psychology, and plot in a way that I have never seen in any other book. The Hero's Journey is far ...more
Letizia
Pretty good. At first I wasn't impressed, really, but I have to admit that when it gets technical it is definitely worth reading. The author is very capable of understanding the profound link of human transformation and the way it is channeled in story writing. Basically, when you read this book, you even understand something more about life, but I guess the point is you will be able to find the faults in your writing and maybe even fix it.
Liz Fenwick
Love this book. There is just so much to take in and absorb from this book that I'm reading it a second time. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning writer as I think it helps to understand her concepts if you have wrestled through a few stories first...you can them apply it or not to what you have or haven't done. It is definitely a book to have in your writer's toolbox.
Fiona Harper
Sep 08, 2011 Fiona Harper rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Fiona by: fionaharper@ntlworld.com
Fabulous book on writing - one of the best I've read in years. It took some of the things I'd worked out for myself and linked them to other ideas, developed them further... There's so much in this book I'm reading it through a second time!
Fabulous screenplay craft book! Highly recommended.
Susan Taylor
The Inside Story gave my writing a jolt of emotional current.
This is one of the big three books to read is you plan on writing fiction. Dara Marks, originally a script consultant, lays the process of breaking down the components of storytelling into sensible chunks and then delves into the "why" within fiction. Touching on the myth or archetypes of characters, she uncovers the different strands, lines, that simutaneously evolve internally and externally. Again and again, from a simple view of st
Courtney
This is a fantastic text on screenwriting process. I highly recommend giving it a read if you'd like to take your story writing to the next level or examine whether you could/should be doing anything differently.
(Now, if only my screenwriting professor would apply Marks's concepts in class...)
Jay
If I could give this six stars I would. There are few books I've read that add things so extremely important to my understanding of a topic. This book adds not one thing but several things. Insights about avoiding the "bad day at the office" problem or trying to use a romantic subplot to substitute for the lack of transformational character development or when static character development is preferable are extremely useful in editing and plot development.
J.D.
I love, love, LOVE this book. Once you get the hang of outlining a screenplay, this book takes you one step further and puts you inside your character's heads. You learn about motivation and how it serves to help your story along. I wish I had come across this book a lot sooner than I did!
Zullay Pichardo
Before reading Dara Marks, I only had the desire and passion to write scripts. But not the ability to write a powerful one. A great guide to remembering those creative sparks that can result in writer's block if left untapped.
Jessica Hatchigan
An excellent exploration of what writers need to know about structuring story. Dara Marks specializes in screenwriting, but novelists also will find the advice offered priceless.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: film
This could have been much shorter, but it's key insight about the transformational arc is powerful. It's easy to loose sight of when writing, though.
Angie
I have the feeling my admiration for the ideas in this book will grow as I digest and apply them.
Harold Honey
Overrated but does contain some very good points
booklearner
booklearner marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Shofi Ahmed
Shofi Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Aja Hamilton
Aja Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Kristen Best
Kristen Best marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Lone
Lone marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Laurie London
Laurie London is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2015
Criss :)
Criss :) marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Lisa Walsh
Lisa Walsh marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Katya U.
Katya U. marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Oliver Bagshaw
Oliver Bagshaw marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Stealing Fire from the Gods: The Complete Guide to Story for Writers and Filmmakers
  • You Can Write a Novel
  • Writing for Emotional Impact: Advanced Dramatic Techniques to Attract, Engage, and Fascinate the Reader from Beginning to End
  • The Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-By-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • The Novel Writer's Toolkit: A Guide To Writing Novels And Getting Published
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Save the Cat! Strikes Back: More Trouble for Screenwriters to Get Into... and Out of
  • The Art and Craft of Storytelling: A Comprehensive Guide to Classic Writing Techniques
Inside Story: The power of the transformational arc (Professional Media Practice)