Start by marking “Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC” as Want to Read:
Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC

Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What is the secret to writing a great screenplay? Whether you're a beginning screenwriter or an A-list Academy Award winner, all writers struggle with the same thing: to get to the great script inside. Step by step, Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc guides you through an extraordinary new process that helps identify your thematic intention-what your story ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Three Mountain Press

To ask other readers questions about Inside Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Story

David Leroy
May 26, 2013 David Leroy rated it it was amazing
The past two years I have been reading practically everything worth reading on screenplay writing, not because I actually write screenplays, but because the world of MFA creative writing glosses over plot so fast that it offers very little in the way of story development. Inside Story stands far above anything so far that I have read because it offers a unique language for story that blends together psychology, and plot in a way that I have never seen in any other book. The Hero's Journey is far ...more
Letizia
Aug 04, 2014 Letizia rated it really liked it
Pretty good. At first I wasn't impressed, really, but I have to admit that when it gets technical it is definitely worth reading. The author is very capable of understanding the profound link of human transformation and the way it is channeled in story writing. Basically, when you read this book, you even understand something more about life, but I guess the point is you will be able to find the faults in your writing and maybe even fix it.
Liz Fenwick
Mar 13, 2013 Liz Fenwick rated it it was amazing
Love this book. There is just so much to take in and absorb from this book that I'm reading it a second time. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning writer as I think it helps to understand her concepts if you have wrestled through a few stories first...you can them apply it or not to what you have or haven't done. It is definitely a book to have in your writer's toolbox.
Fiona Harper
Sep 08, 2011 Fiona Harper rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Fiona by: fionaharper@ntlworld.com
Fabulous book on writing - one of the best I've read in years. It took some of the things I'd worked out for myself and linked them to other ideas, developed them further... There's so much in this book I'm reading it through a second time!
Apr 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Fabulous screenplay craft book! Highly recommended.
Susan Taylor
Sep 27, 2012 Susan Taylor rated it it was amazing
The Inside Story gave my writing a jolt of emotional current.
This is one of the big three books to read is you plan on writing fiction. Dara Marks, originally a script consultant, lays the process of breaking down the components of storytelling into sensible chunks and then delves into the "why" within fiction. Touching on the myth or archetypes of characters, she uncovers the different strands, lines, that simutaneously evolve internally and externally. Again and again, from a simple view of st
Keir Challinor
Jan 16, 2016 Keir Challinor rated it it was amazing
To me this is the best book for any screenwriter. Although Save The Cat does go over basics of writing a feature screenplay. Dara Marks helps break down Plot, Character, and Theme, while also going over each section of the three act structure including the Set Up, Middle, and climax of story. I have read this book three times and each time is a new experience. If you ever were interested in writing a script but not sure where to start I would really recommend this book.
Courtney
Oct 24, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic text on screenwriting process. I highly recommend giving it a read if you'd like to take your story writing to the next level or examine whether you could/should be doing anything differently.
(Now, if only my screenwriting professor would apply Marks's concepts in class...)
Ben Nesvig
Nov 04, 2015 Ben Nesvig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Of the (too) many books I've read on storytelling, this is one of the best.
Jay
Oct 31, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing
If I could give this six stars I would. There are few books I've read that add things so extremely important to my understanding of a topic. This book adds not one thing but several things. Insights about avoiding the "bad day at the office" problem or trying to use a romantic subplot to substitute for the lack of transformational character development or when static character development is preferable are extremely useful in editing and plot development.
J.D.
Jan 26, 2013 J.D. rated it it was amazing
I love, love, LOVE this book. Once you get the hang of outlining a screenplay, this book takes you one step further and puts you inside your character's heads. You learn about motivation and how it serves to help your story along. I wish I had come across this book a lot sooner than I did!
Jessica Hatchigan
Aug 15, 2012 Jessica Hatchigan rated it really liked it
An excellent exploration of what writers need to know about structuring story. Dara Marks specializes in screenwriting, but novelists also will find the advice offered priceless.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: film
This could have been much shorter, but it's key insight about the transformational arc is powerful. It's easy to loose sight of when writing, though.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lwc-reading-list
Transformational for any writer of fiction. Your understanding of character ans story will never be the same.
Angie
Mar 21, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
I have the feeling my admiration for the ideas in this book will grow as I digest and apply them.
Harold Honey
Dec 11, 2009 Harold Honey rated it liked it
Overrated but does contain some very good points
Desirée
Desirée marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Ria Delight
Ria Delight marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Ksenia Anske
Ksenia Anske marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Lucio
Lucio rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Błażej
Błażej marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Will Hines
Will Hines rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Salem Barmada
Salem Barmada marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Vonzell Scott
Vonzell Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Alexa
Alexa added it
Jul 17, 2016
  • Stealing Fire from the Gods: The Complete Guide to Story for Writers and Filmmakers
  • You Can Write a Novel
  • Writing for Emotional Impact: Advanced Dramatic Techniques to Attract, Engage, and Fascinate the Reader from Beginning to End
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • The Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-By-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
  • Writing Screenplays That Sell: The Complete, Step-By-Step Guide for Writing and Selling to the Movies and TV, from Story Concept to Development Deal
  • Myth & the Movies: Discovering the Myth Structure of 50 Unforgettable Films
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Story Physics: Harnessing the Underlying Forces of Storytelling
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • The Art and Craft of Storytelling: A Comprehensive Guide to Classic Writing Techniques
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.