Start by marking “The King of the Castle” as Want to Read:
The King of the Castle

The King of the Castle

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,719 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Dallas Lawson came alone to the legend-haunted chateau, the castle of the notorious Comte de la Talle, deep in the wine country of France. When she set eyes on the handsome Comte, she knew she would never leave willingly. What she didn't know was that she might never leave ...

alive.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published December 12th 1982 by Ivy Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Castle

Julz
Sophie
Aug 06, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
I used to love Victoria Holt's books, so when I found The King of the Castle buried in the back of one of my bookshelves, I had to reread it to see if I would love it still. In many ways, it did hold up for me, but I suspect that this time I was more aware of the author's formula than I used to be. Many of the clues the heroine missed about what was really going on in the castle seemed obvious to me, although I never felt like she was stupid because she didn't see them too. I liked that the hero ...more
Misfit
Dallas Lawson was trained to follow in her father's footsteps restoring old paintings but when he dies she's left at a crossroads - take a position as governess, take charity from relatives or try to continue the career she's trained for in a man's world. A commission comes in for her father from the Comté de la Talle of Chateaux Galliard and she accepts, although she "forgets" to mention her father is dead and she's coming in his place, much to the chagrin of everyone at the Chateaux.

Dallas se
Nancy
Mar 17, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Victoria Holt mystery/romance books in my 30s. Holt books are a higher caliber of romance fiction than something like Harlequins. Historically accurate. Good recreational reading with something to keep you turning pages.
Kristy
Jan 30, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Victoria Holt is my favorite author. She writes mysteries that have a touch of romance. She wrote back in the 60's and 70's so they are clean and good ol' fun.
Tria
I don't usually have any interest in romance fiction (though I do enjoy romantic fanfiction, for very different reasons), so it surprised me the first time I read this to actually enjoy that aspect of the story.

The mysteries of the plot don't feel like they were created just to have something to hang the romance upon, which is a pleasant and refreshing difference from most books of this "historical romance" type that I've encountered in the past. (Please note, romance fans, I'm NOT saying ALL r
Sep 05, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book checks off all the gothic essentials (big old house, domineering man, dead wife, morally ambiguous other guy) plus the Victoria Holt added bonus of "kid in trouble". A part that stood out to me was the heroine's profession as a restorer of antique paintings and buildings. I liked that she had a trade besides "governess" (even though all the other characters keep saying what a good governess she'd be). I had trouble pinning down when it took place since it was never explicitly stated, ...more
Urszula
Apr 19, 2012 Urszula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, book-club
I have always been a fan of historical mystery/romance novels, thus I liked this book from the first page. I like Victoria Holt’s style – strong female lead, juicy mystery, misunderstood male characters and unexpected villains.

This book is a very light read. The story is easy to follow, with great and interesting information about the main characters thrown in. The chateau made a perfect setting for a mystery novel.

I also liked learning more about the work involved in art restoration and wine ma
Rubeena
Oct 14, 2008 Rubeena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who like to read stories and get swept away
One of my favorite novels.When I get totally depressed, I often read this book.
I recently came to know that there is a genre called Gothic romance and Victoria Holt is among the best.
She knows how to tell a story-it has everything- romance, suspense,mystery,old world charm, French chateaus..
I just love the way she has portrayed the lead lady character.If I ever get a chance to be a book character ,I want to be Dallas Lawson in 'King of the Castle'.
I value this book as the best in my collection
V.L. Holt
Mar 17, 2009 V.L. Holt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense, romance, history, a chateau, a vineyard, a wild child, ah bliss. The heroine was no wilting flower. She had pluck, intelligence. She was amused upon discovering her weaknesses, but didn't try to justify them. My favorite quote from the book; "I did not love him for his virtues." A fantastic read.
Nenia *War of the Adorables* Campbell

|| Twitter || || Facebook || || Booklikes || Instagram ||

Dallas Lawson is the daughter of a relatively famous restorer of old paintings. Before his death, he was commissioned to do some restorations for a French comte. Dallas, being a spunky, headstrong WOMAN decides to take on the commission under false means, accepting as "D. Lawson" and then acting all outraged when the comte and his household are surprised that she has...wait for it...ovaries (shudderhissboo).

The comte, in keeping with
Ana María Román
Feb 11, 2016 Ana María Román rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-2016
Mi historia con los libros de Victoria Holt es algo que viene de largo. Cuando era niña me encantaban, los devoraba, terminaba uno y empezaba con el siguiente. Ella junto con Mary Higgins Clark eran mis autoras favoritas, podía leer libros suyos uno detrás de otro sin cansarme. Luego, después de un tiempo, me moví a otros autores y las relegué al cajón de los recuerdos. Un cajón que he vuelto a abrir recientemente. Fruto de ese "regreso al pasado" es esta lectura, o más bien, relectura.

Victoria
Stephanie Ricker
I had picked up The King of the Castle at the Durham book sale, and I just finally got around to reading it. Victoria Holt was a fascinating woman, as I’ve described at length before, and I wanted to try a few more of her works. The King of the Castle is a bit of a romance mystery that gave off a lot of Jane Eyre vibes, and I found it highly entertaining and somewhat reminiscent of Mary Stewart’s books. The (British) heroine is named Dallas Lawson, but if you can get past that, you’ll be golden. ...more
Noemia
Jan 26, 2016 Noemia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Mar 19, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love a good gothic novel. It has romance, intrigue, and it's totally clean. An artisan come to restore old paintings falls in love with the mysterious lord of the manor who is rumored to have murdered his first wife...and then there is the mystery of the long lost emeralds, worth a fortune, of course. I love this kind of book.
Leigh Jenkins
Sep 14, 2013 Leigh Jenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new favorite. This book delivered from beginning to end. Each character had such a strong personality and background you just wanted to know more. The outcomes were just as thrilling as the mysteries, I couldn't put it down.
Chon
Jul 07, 2013 Chon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the detail revolving around Dallas' profession and the mischief caused by the child. It was easy to guess most of the plot but I still had to finish the book to discover why the Comte's wife died.
Linda Conn
Jul 05, 2013 Linda Conn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book looked so cheesy and old when one of my library patrons said I should read it. But, then I read it and was hooked. It is a very mysterious, cool love story. It is similar to Jane Eyre.
Tara
Dec 20, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I am so excited to read more Victoria Holt novels! New find!
Margaret
Jun 01, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt is my favorite author. This is one of my favorite books.
Robin Densmore Fuson
Second time through. I enjoyed it as much this time as I did years ago!
Alanoud Alajmi
May 25, 2013 Alanoud Alajmi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most magical novels I've ever read. Truly captivating!
Gladys Quintal
Nov 04, 2014 Gladys Quintal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of all of Victoria's books. The ultimate love story:)
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gothic historical fiction/romance.
Dawn
Mar 02, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story I read as a teen!
Suzanne
Dani
Sep 21, 2010 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
  • Sea Jade
  • The Black Swan (Daughters of England, #16)
  • Darkwater
  • Thunder on the Right
  • Watch the Wall, My Darling

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...