Start by marking “The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket” as Want to Read:
The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket

The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,511 Ratings  ·  469 Reviews
Barnaby Brocket is an ordinary 8-year-old boy in most ways, but he was born different in one important way: he floats. Unlike everyone else, Barnaby does not obey the law of gravity. His parents, who have a horror of being noticed, want desperately for Barnaby to be normal, but he can't help who he is. And when the unthinkable happens, Barnaby finds himself on a journey th ...more
Published October 14th 2014 by Yearling (first published August 2nd 2012)

Mdaly There are much better books that this for teenagers. Don't waste their time with this.

Mayra Sigwalt
Estou aqui, abraçada com esse livro. Só sei dizer que foi uma experiência maravilhosa. A história e as mensagens me tocaram muito e fiquei super emocionada.
Um livro que tem a premissa de um menino que é diferente, ele flutua. Já começou genial. E os desafios que ele passa e as pessoas que ele conhece, ensinam coisas pra ele e pra gente.
Livro que depois que acaba fica com a gente no coração!
Obrigada pelo presente, Vitor! Esse livro precisa mesmo ser espalhado para o mundo!
Joana Catarina
Sep 03, 2015 Joana Catarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opinião breve em vídeo (aos 6:30):
May 26, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Só porque a tua versão de normal não é a mesma da versão de outra pessoa, isso não significa que se passa algo de errado contigo."

Opinião no blog:
Vitor Martins
Eu realmente não esperava que eu fosse gostar TANTO desse livro <3
Uma história muito linda, que fala sobre todo tipo de diferença e que passa uma mensagem linda de que tudo bem ser diferente.
Teoricamente é um livro infantil, mas eu recomendo pra todo mundo.
Um daqueles livros que aquece o coração e deixa a gente com um sorriso no rosto nas últimas páginas!
Apr 27, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book through a goodreads giveaway and hoped that it might spark a renewed interest in reading in my maths/science obsessed daughter. After reading the blurb and flicking through it she asked if we could read it together so we spent the weekend doing just that.
Barnaby Brocket is a boy who can float and goes on some adventures all around the world. It's a typical kids book, however it also has a hidden depth to it that perhaps not all younger readers will appreciate. It makes you quest
Mar 19, 2016 Reddish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No recuerdo haberme reído y frustrado tanto a la vez con un libro. Ha sido genial. Tiene un toque cómico que se agracede, e incluso me recordaba a Matilda en ciertas ocasiones (una cucada de libro). Muy recomendable para pasar el rato echándote unas risas.

“Algunas personas simplemente no pueden aceptar algo que se escape a su experiencia.”
Dec 23, 2015 Kamalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely interesting; meant for children but highly packed with valuable morals people of all ages need to be reminded of. The main moral: its perfectly fine to be different.

I've read Boyne's Noah Barleywater Runs Away, so I wasn't surprised with certain fantasy and illogical elements being written about. Being very used to YA and adult books though, I had to keep reminding myself that it's a children's book so its perfectly okay to read about a boy who can float and travels arou
Jul 28, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-9-12
There is a Japanese proverb that states: "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down." This practically sums up the view Barnaby Brocket's parents take on his complete disregard for the Laws of Gravity. It really doesn't matter that he's a caring and intelligent boy. He draws attention to himself. And that's not normal. And what isn't normal is just bad and completely unlovable under any circumstance, thank you very much.

I was looking forward to reading this book (mainly due to the the cover).
Harun Harahap
“Just because your version of normal isn't the same as someone else's version doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you.”

Normal. Menurut KBBI adalah menurut aturan atau menurut pola yang umum; sesuai dan tidak menyimpang dari suatu norma atau kaidah; sesuai dengan keadaan yang biasa; tanpa cacat; tidak ada kelainan.

Dari buku ini kita belajar tentang "kenormalan' tersebut. Bagaimana setiap orang mendefinisikan kata normal. Sesuatu dibilang normal, ketika sekumpulan atau banyak orang bers
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
This is quite a sad book.

To read it as an adult had me close to tears. That Barnaby's parents could be so awful, could resent him so much...

But if I'd read this as a child I think it would have been a wonderful adventure. To float, to go anywhere, to inadvertently travel the world and meet so many different characters, it would have been wonderful.

This book teaches some great lessons - the most important are that it's not wrong to be different and that everyone has their own definition of normal
Darren Hartwell
Jan 04, 2013 Darren Hartwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, comedy
This review first appeared on The Book Zone(For Boys) blog

Is there no end to the talent of John Boyne?

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas = incredible!

Noah Barleywater Runs Away = amazing!

If you have read either of Boyne's previous books for younger readers then you will know what to expect from Barnaby Brocket - a heart warming and uplifting tale that will tug mercilessly at your heartstrings, with some pretty heavy themes that are woven into the story with humour and deftness of touch that make th
Serendipity Reviews
Sep 06, 2012 Serendipity Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
The terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket, wasn't really a terrible thing in my eyes, because it made him see how truly special he was. OK, his mother went against any scrap of maternal instinct she might have had and didn't really lose any sleep over what she did, but to be honest, Barnaby was much better off with out his parents.
Barnaby was exceptional, clever, mature and thoughtful; the kind of child you would love and adore. The only thing that made him different from other childr
Aug 10, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barnaby Brocket is no ordinary boy as he defies the laws of gravity, floating off if he isn't physically restrained. His parents cannot accept his differences and go to extreme lengths to keep him grounded, physically and mentally. One day, Barnaby floats away and you hope he will experience better examples of humanity once freed from the suffocating normality of his earth-bound family.

Before I got the opportunity to "meet" Barnaby he was kidnapped by my two children, aged 8 and 12, and both wer
Nurhayati Ramlan

I like how the author see 'normal' as a subjective term. What normal for you might not be normal for me and that doesn't make me or you any less normal. All of us is different from one another, be it our appearances, our mind set, our principles and life styles. Nobody is the exact copy of the other, so how much 'normal' can something be for it to be called as 'normal'?

Instead of being too quick to judge or punish those who are different than us, why can't we embrace it? That's the colours of li
Nur Raihan
Jul 21, 2016 Nur Raihan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After more than a month reading this, (not that its boring or anything, I was just busy) I'm glad that I have finished it!

Damn Barnaby, all those adventures that you have and you're just 8 years old! I'm totally on your side kid, who would wanna be normal when you can be different and have a lot of adventures right? RIGHT?
Jan 02, 2014 Maitane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"Un chico que estaba preparado para conocer a gente nueva.
Un chico que quería vivir aventuras nuevas.
Y lo principal, un chico que estaba orgulloso de ser diferente."
hizatul akmah
Feb 01, 2016 hizatul akmah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.6/5 bc of how magnificent the whole story is. i really fond of reading children book like this which makes me thinking not as a grown up but as a human being.
AV Sheerio
Apr 27, 2014 AV Sheerio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comenzaré con un: este libro es un aventura de altura.

No quisiera sonar igual que la película UP: UNA AVENTURA DE ALTURA, pero tiene mucho sentido describir este libro de esa manera.

La historia nos habla de Barnaby un niño que desobedece a la ley de gravedad y simplemente lo hace elevándose por los aires.

Sus padres son unas personajes muy prejuiciosas y les importa lo que los demás piensen de ellos así que tener un hijo que vuela no es algo con lo que quieran liar.

Así por cosas d
Rachel Shedden
Jul 21, 2012 Rachel Shedden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know what else to say apart from, I LOVE this book! It's just one of those rare novels that's heart-warming and sweet in every way possible. You really shouldn't be put off by the almost childish cover (in my opinion, it's so cute!) because this book shouldn't be missed by anybody! It's definitely a book that can be enjoyed by all ages!

One thing I adored about this book, is that it reminded me so much of Roald Dahl's books! And who doesn't love Roald Dahl?! Yet again just let me s
I was drawn to this book because I like quirky stories, and I'm a huge fan of Oliver Jeffers (the illustrator). And this book started out great! Poor Barnaby Brockett, born to terrible parents, sibling to two very ordinary kids, and master to one devoted dog. The book reads much as a classic Roald Dahl book might (complete with TERRIBLE parents!), and Jeffers's illustrations add a similar touch as Quentin Blake's might.

And yet, the book gets both more absurd and a trifle more boring in the secon
dari anak-anak lah, kita belajar banyak hal

John Boyne, kembali membuktikannya. Dengan menampilkan sosok anak laki-laki berusia 8 tahun bernama Barnaby Brocket, seorang anak yang sejak lahir tubuhnya sudah melawan gravitasi.

Dari petualangan yang tidak sengaja Ia alami, Barnaby menemukan banyak hal ajaib di dunianya, bahkan Ia tanpa sadar telah mengajari banyak orang disekitarnya dengan pemikiran-pemikiran sederhananya.

Barnaby selalu berusaha bersikap normal, agar Ia bisa diterima keluarganya y
Dulce Espinosa
Jun 04, 2015 Dulce Espinosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fue entonces cuando se dio cuenta de que le gustaba ser diferente. A fin de cuentas, era así como había nacido. Era quien se suponía que tenía que ser. No podía permitir que lo cambiaran."

éste libro es para esa gente que piensa que es normal y critica a todo aquel que consideran "anormal" "raro" pues qué mensos! éste libro es para ustedes! jajaja es un libro para niños, sí, pero son de los que más me gusta leer, son tan honestos.
Hay muchaaaaaaaaas cosas que me gustaron de este libro, no sé por
Jan 11, 2015 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Durante casi todo el libro tuve la sensación de que Barnaby era una versión contemporánea de "El Principito", nada muy alejado de las increíbles aventuras que tuvo Principito a las que tuvo Barnaby. Sin embargo, aquellos aspectos en los que discierne este libro hará que quien haya llevado una vida familiar o social tortuosa y llena de prejuicios se sienta identificado. Para aquellas personas cuyos padres, hermanos o conocidos les hayan hecho sentir inferiores o anormales por ser la versión que g ...more
Apr 08, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" (...) ¿Viven allí vuestros maridos?-
-¿Maridos? -preguntó Ethel, y miró a Marjorie horrorizada.
-¿Maridos? -bramó Marjorie, y clavo la mirada en Ethel como si alguien acabara de amenazarla con sentarse en su cabeza.
-No tenemos marido, jovencito -le explicó Ethel-. Esas criaturas asquerosas y malolientes. Siempre zanganeando como inútiles, Beben, apuestan en las carreras, buscan excusas para no arreglar las estanterías torcidas de la cocina. Hacen unos ruidos de lo más repugnantes y emiten olore
Jun 13, 2016 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2016
apesar de ser um livro para jovens adultos acho que consegue transmitir uma mensagem forte. A verdade é que todos somos diferentes e devemos aceitar essas diferenças, BARNABY apercebe - se que é especial mas o que ele quer é o amor dos pais. O que odiei de morte foram os pais... mas mais não digo
Ana Carolina
Aug 10, 2016 Ana Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was wonderful to read about Barnaby's journey and to see how the people who crossed his path led him to gradually develop something he did not have before (view spoiler).

We all want to be valued and cherished by the people we love, but that should never require changing our essence.
Cristiana de Sousa
Dec 17, 2015 Cristiana de Sousa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Foi o primeiro livro deste autor que li e que melhor forma de começar. É daqueles livros que dá vontade de sair na rua e destribui-lo por toda a gente. Toda a gente deveria ler esta historia e nunca esquecer que temos que aceitar as nossas diferenças, porque são elas que nos tornam especiais.
Alvaro Acevedo Barrios
Primer libro del año y ¡Qué buen libro! A pesar de ser un libro infantil me gustó mucho!
 A Lorena Sánchez muñoz
Boyne sabe bien como partirle el corazon y restaurarlo a personas como yo. Gran historia
Tatyana Naumova
Космос и финал не очень хороши, а все остальное на уровне
  • The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas
  • Bag in the Wind
  • Cuando te vuelvas real
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Goblins
  • Azufre y Sal
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Dark Lord: The Early Years (Dark Lord, #1)
  • Il mio inverno a Zerolandia
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • Diario de una volátil
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • The Professor of Truth
  • Un cuento triste no tan triste
  • A Message to Your Heart
  • The Bird King and Other Sketches
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
John Boyne (born 30 April 1971 in Dublin) is an Irish novelist.

He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and studied Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, where he won the Curtis Brown prize. In 2015, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by UEA.

John Boyne is the author of nine novels for adults and five for young readers, as well as a collection of short stories.

His nove
More about John Boyne...

“(J)ust because your version of normal isn't the same as someone else's version doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you.” 43 likes
“It is possible, you know, to drift off to an unknown world and find happiness there. Maybe even more happiness than you've ever known before.” 28 likes