Start by marking “Radio Hope” as Want to Read:
Radio Hope

Radio Hope (Toxic World #1)

In a world shattered by war, pollution and disease. . .
A gunslinging mother longs to find a safe refuge for her son.
A frustrated revolutionary delivers water to villagers living on a toxic waste dump.
The assistant mayor of humanity's last city hopes he will never have to take command.
One thing gives them the promise of a better future--Radio Hope, a mysterious station that
Published January 30th 2014 by Sean McLachlan

To ask other readers questions about Radio Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Hope

Neil
Nov 08, 2015 Neil rated it liked it
decent story if predictable. 3 star possible 4
Nadhia
Jan 18, 2015 Nadhia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Radio Hope tells a tale of people surviving in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Jackson - a man cast out from the only successfully running settlement, New City

Anette - a gun-slinging single mother who is trying to move into New City to protect her son

Marcus - second in command at New City, doing his best to keep the settlement together during the mayor's failing health

Follow the characters in this novel as they do their best to defend New City, to protect their only source of free survival informa
Alex
Dec 29, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story. The plot bobs along at a good pace and the world it describes is compelling and vivid.
The language was quite simple, with little flowery description or pulchritudinous phrasing to guide us into the mood of the settings. However, I don't think that flowery description was the writer's aim, so this is probably not a bad thing.
Instead, it's plot-strong, enjoyable read. I would recommend it if you're looking for a fun story which you can be sure will keep you interested throug
Matthew
Mar 16, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This novel has a very nice Mad Max vibe (without the gear-head obsession of those fantastic movies).
It sets the stage up quite nicely for the next Toxic World novel but unlike so many first novels is a full story in and of itself.
Quite looking forward to reading Refugees from the Righteous Horde
James
Nov 25, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Excellent pace, immersive world building.

I really enjoyed this book, slightly hard going at the beginning getting your head around the characters and their position within the burbs/new city but as the story unfolds you get a good understanding of how things are. This is due to McLachlan's excellent world building in the post apocalyptic setting which is truly admirable. It's believable yet interesting how he portrays what life in that era could be like.

The story itself is a good one and the p
Rusty
Jan 30, 2015 Rusty rated it it was amazing
I really, really, liked this novel. I read it over the course of an afternoon, surprisingly quick for a file that said it was well over 300 pages long. Whatever, it could have been 900 pages and I get the feeling I would have torn through this almost as fast.

And I’ve been disappointed in most of my current reads lately, feeling like reading is a chore, a homework assignment that I have to do, instead of something I love.

But I shoved all that other stuff aside to start reading this, and lo and be
Andrew Hudson
Feb 10, 2014 Andrew Hudson rated it liked it
I've been keeping an eye on Sean McLachlan's fiction output ever since he welcomed me, most warmly, into one of Madrid's very supportive writers' groups. I mention this as much to toe the line of Full Disclosure as I do to reveal to the wider world in this small way what a nice person he is. Niceness is no guarantee of being a good writer, though, if anything it's the opposite, so I'm worried to reveal that the steady development I've seen first-hand in his writing has been badly impeded by a ...more
Susan
Feb 25, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I must thank Sean McLachlan for giving me a copy Radio Hope for review. Did this color my review? I hope not but maybe a tiny bit. I enjoyed Radio Hope and I am looking forward to the next in the series. The story takes place after multiple wars and civilization is reduced to a mean existence for those who survived. The story revolves around the interactions between the elite citizens in the fortified New City, the scavengers trying to make a living off of the relics left from the Old Times and ...more
J.J. Mainor
Jun 02, 2016 J.J. Mainor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Usually you read PA fiction and find a conservative bent to the story; sometimes it becomes a full-blown diatribe against liberalism. I do consider myself a conservative, yet I feel like I'm reading the same book over and over again every time I see the same 2nd Amendment argument or the same explanation of the welfare state as the cause of the fall.

It was refreshing to see someone tackle a more liberal view through a character who fancies himself a rebel against the elitism and classism the cit
Ozsaur
May 09, 2016 Ozsaur rated it really liked it
As much as I liked the characters, I liked the worldbuilding more. What a fascinating and believable post-apocalyptic future. In this world, humanity lives in the ruins, scavenging technology from cities devastated by what seems like several wars. There are hints about what happened in the past, so it wasn't just one thing that brought about this dystopian universe.

At the point where the book starts, the world and humanity is slowly recovering. There are still toxic wastes, horrific diseases, an
Jonathan
Dec 12, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
This book was a hard read. I loved the story, I liked the premise, I liked the plot. I had to twitter the author due to the massive amount of mistakes. It was a hard read with words out of place. A proof reader would have been a great investment. Furthermore, every time it feels like he is about to develop a character he moves on. That added to the continual high school style writing and forgetting all grammar rules, my 3 star rating is being generous.
Janis
Jan 19, 2015 Janis rated it it was amazing
Truly a great book - it offers both desolation and hope. The characters are very believable and it is well paced. The small clues spread through out the novel had me going crazy trying to figure out "where" in the Old World it was taking place. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment - if only to see how the characters grow with their new responsibilities and powers. Also, I'm hoping there will be more answers on who radio hope really are.
Sharon
Jan 12, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
An engaging story with well developed characters that you can care about. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
edifanob
Feb 11, 2014 edifanob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2014-reads
I was torn between four and five stars. Finally I gave five stars.
I work on a review which should be ready in calendar week 8, 2014.
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Marti Agler
Marti Agler rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Carol Kean
Carol Kean rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Tyrean
Tyrean rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Bradley Wind
Bradley Wind rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Paul Young
Paul Young rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Kristin Bostrom-Bates
Kristin Bostrom-Bates rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Charlie Wade
Charlie Wade rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Kathy Dillon
Kathy Dillon rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Billy Roper
Billy Roper rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Aden
Aden rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Damian Shore
Damian Shore rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Teresa campbell
Teresa campbell rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Christopher Davis
Christopher Davis rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Sean McLachlan is a former archaeologist who worked for many years on excavations in the Middle East, Europe, and the United States. Now a full-time writer, he specializes in fiction, history, and adventure travel. In 2013 he won the Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Award for his Iraq reportage.

Sean is busy working on three fiction series: Toxic World (post-apocalyptic science fiction), House Divid
More about Sean McLachlan...

Toxic World (4 books)