True Story, Swear To God Archives Volume 1 (True Story, Swear to God (Graphic Novels))

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
One of the most acclained romance comics (six Eisner nominations) is collected in one huge tpb Napa Valley cartoonist Tom Beland meets the love of his life, Puerto Rican journalist Lily Garcia, at a bus stop in Disneyworld. Can a long-distance romance last and who will choose to leave their hometown to enter a new world with new challenges? All seventeen issues of Beland's...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Image Comics

Be the first to ask a question about True Story, Swear To God Archives Volume 1 (True Story, Swear to God

Jan
In the beginning, I did not like this book at all. Generic and shallow escapist fluff, I thought. It felt as if a good friend of yours was telling you about how he had just fallen in love, and how wonderful the whole world now looked as a result. Good for him, you think at first. But then he just keeps on talking about fate and destiny and true love and all that, and at one point you start getting really bored. But he does not seem to notice, he still keeps on talking and talking...

And then some...more
Mia
Ryan got a copy of this book from work and read almost the entire thing in one sitting and recommended it to me. I, in turn, read it almost in one sitting. It's a sweet love story that is well balanced with the "dude perspective." It's a wonderful tale of meeting your soul mate, but with plenty of F bombs and beer drinking. A very good balance.

This is right up there with "Blankets" as a great example of what can be done with the comic medium.
Wred Fright
Charming comics romance story about a cartoonist in California and a radio announcer from Puerto Rico who straddle cultures and time zones for love. Would I read this if it weren't a comic though? Um, no. Sometimes a cute drawing just sucks me into a story, and that was the case here.
Korynn
An amazing true-life modern romance for the ages and I highly recommend getting this hefty trade because you'll want to read it all. The art is simple and nuanced and the book is well written with extreme honesty on the part of Tom Beland himself, for which he should be commended.
Caitlin
i didn't think it was possible to read a comic book as bad as vamps but i was wrong. vamps was a million times better. the story is so boring that i can't believe i actually finished it. i hate tom deland and his autobiographical piece of shit comic.
Efraín
This is such a sweet story, I love it.
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Ece Mumcu
Ece Mumcu marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Andy Shuping
Andy Shuping marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Pedro
Pedro added it
Jun 21, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Laura added it
Apr 25, 2013
Ryan King
Ryan King marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Linnea
Linnea marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
I'm a 36 year-old cartoonist living and breathing on the island of San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was born in Chicago ILL. and was raised in Napa Valley, California. I graduated from Napa High School in 1980 (GO INDIANS!).

My career in cartoonist started at a very young age. My father, Clarence Beland , was a cartoonist in his spare time and all the boys in my family draw in one way or another. I was the...more
More about Tom Beland...
True Story: Swear to God: Volume 1 True Story, Swear to God: Chances Are True Story, Swear To God: This One Goes To Eleven (True Story, Swear to God (Graphic Novels)) True Story, Swear To God: 100 Stories (True Story, Swear to God (Graphic Novels)) Fantastic Four: Island of Death