Start by marking “Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)

Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  781 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
In Stephen J. Cannell's Hollywood Tough, Detective Shane Scully is back in the good graces of the department, hailed as a hero after bringing down a deadly gang of rogue cops in The Viking Funeral. At a glamorous Hollywood party with his new wife, Alexa, Shane overhears a famous producer make a suspicious remark about the strange deaths of his two ex-wives. Is he serious o ...more
Published January 5th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published December 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Tough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Tough

Leon Aldrich
If you are a fan of: Vince Flynn, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, John Sanford or James Lee Burke, then you owe it to yourselves and your children's children, to read this series!

It don't get much better than this.
Space
Apr 10, 2013 Space rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a little better book than the last couple, I think. The premise was still far-reaching and large-scaled, but it seemed a little more realistic. A New Jersey mobster is trying to acquire influence in the movie business. It all ties in with several other storylines, of course. All of which Scully and his wife are investigating. Of course.

The only parts I had trouble believing - and to the point where it actually ejected me from the story for a bit - was where he let himself be talked into
Bill
I like much of the television that Stephen J. Cannell has written and produced. It turns out that his fiction writing isn't too bad, either. I liked this. It's not ground-breaking or earth-shattering or by any means awe-inspiring. But it is pretty good, down-to-earth, fun, detective fiction and kept me turning pages.

As the third story in the Shane Scully series, it picks up after he's become recently married and also found a son he didn't know about. I had not read either of the first two books,
Ed
Jan 31, 2015 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#3 in the Shane Scully series. One of the lesser efforts in the series about LAPD Sergeant Shane Scully.

Shane Scully gets involved in the film making business while acting as a disenchanted cop. A small time grifter asks him to track down an ex-beauty pageant winner from NJ - who turns out to be a junkie prostitute. A NJ mobster wants to make a film with a top star who is linked to a cult guru. Shane's wife's best friend is engaged to a charismatic producer with a missing past.
Walkernot
Dec 25, 2015 Walkernot rated it it was ok
Sgt. Scully gets wrapped up in the Hollywood movie production business to catch a mobster, while all the other aspects of his life spin out of control on criminal tangents that all intertwine in the end: his wife's investigation of a gangland shooting, his sons former gang ties and a family friend's fiancee that is no good. The plot was weak and unfolded slowly, so many things/events to tie into one contaminating event.
Victoria Barnett
Another good read from Stephen J.Cannell

This was a great little thought provoking novel from one of my favorite authors. He takes you to a different mindset while leaving you on the edge of your seat. The end is really just an introduction to a continuing saga of the Sculley family. Well done!
Kari Mccrory
Mar 06, 2016 Kari Mccrory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I actually listened to this book. It was a fun listen. Full of excitement, easy to follow. Others I know read the book and did not have the same experience. Cannell wrote Rockford Files and writes screenplays, so it makes sense that this book was a good listen and maybe not such a good read.
Sue
Jul 30, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first thought of reading Cannell when he appeared on a couple of episodes of "Castle." He was a part of Castle's writer poker night. I have read a couple of his books now and have enjoyed each of them. His character, Shane Scully, is a very real and believable person. There are not a lot of super-human feats of bravado. He's just a good cop.
Alan Cook
Aug 16, 2013 Alan Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fasten your seatbelts, suspend your judgment and prepare yourself for a wild ride through Stephen Cannell's Hollywood, peopled with gang members, mobsters, petty crooks and wannabes who can't stand the heat but don't know how to get out of the kitchen. Cannell knows about Hollywood, having created many TV series, but he uses his knowledge as a takeoff point, not bothering to inject a lot of verisimilitude in his story. He also isn't great at the literary stuff, as most of his characters "growl" ...more
Tashawna
Feb 26, 2016 Tashawna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent. I love the voice narration. I got it mainly to listen to at work.
I do not like that we are jumping between gangsters, someone trying to take over Hollywood, and then an identity issue. I would like more story on one subject.
Jeanne
Nov 12, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the third outing in the Shane Scully series, Shane goes undercover as a Hollywood producer to bring down a Jersey mobster intent on taking over the Hollywood movie unions. His son, Chooch, also becomes involved because all the area gangs are in on a new drug deal. Many disparate plot points come together in a somewhat implausible climax. The writing is merely adequate and I feel like Cannell takes the lazy way out by constantly repeating descriptions. A small-time con man is almost always ref ...more
Ricardo
Aug 05, 2015 Ricardo rated it did not like it
Didn't like it. There were too many terms from the gang slang that ended up taking away from the plot, which was quite flimsy to begin with. I don't think I'll be reading any more by Mr. Cannell
Ed Schmidt
Jun 29, 2015 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Alexa tries to stop a gang war in LA, Shane is looking into the fiancé of one of Alexa's friends, a fiancé who Shane overhears him telling some friend that his two previous wives had died from food poisoning. He also gets LAPD in the movie making business while trying to crack a drug smuggling ring.
Katy
Sep 27, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shane and Alexa Scully become involved in producing a movie, a drug war between two gangs, and deal with the Jersey Mafia trying to move into the film industry.
Valerie Curtis
Book 3 of the Shane Scully Series. I, unfortunately, picked this book up first. It was easy to follow and a great mystery. It actually read like a television show :)
Joe
Mar 20, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Police procedure at its best! Talk about plots on top of plots woven around yet another plot but Cannell does an amazing job of explaing them all to you as his character Scully and wife Alex slowly unravel and understand and tie them all together! Both are members of the LA Police Force and along with son Chooch, who is coming to age as a young man, and getting pulled into this tough life of race, drugs and corruption, Hollywood Tough was a fun read! If half of what Cannell says about Hollywood ...more
FrankieReads
Barbara ★
Shane Scully is a most unconventional cop. He has the weirdest plans and spins the wildest webs to catch dangerous criminals but somehow they always work. This one is no different. We have drug lords, gangbangers, mexican mafia, italian mafia, hollywood producers/directors/actors and believe it or not, it all starts with a prostitute. This is on twisted tale.

I most admit that eventhough I enjoyed the book, I found myself skipping the parts involving the movie script and production. This was like
Shandygirl
Mar 10, 2016 Shandygirl rated it liked it
Good mystery with fun Hollywood insider stories. Would definitely read more.
Carl Nicita
Loved it! Very descriptive.
Larry Hall
It was ....... ok. A lot of unbelievable character interaction but a fun story to read.
Magpie67
Jul 24, 2011 Magpie67 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third book in the series and I love it! I started reading this series when I found out that Stephen J. Cannell is author Alex Kava's favorite to read.... Now, I know why. Witty, smart and lots of players in the game. Mr. Cannell has so many twists up his sleeve for his characters and never a dull moment at all. I can't wait to read book 4 in the series!
Cherie Reeves
A bit far fetched. The LAPD is paying to co-produce a movie with a known player? I also found the number of connections in the book to be confusing. It's like the characters weren't completely developed and another was introduced who might be the bad guy. However I think I got the book as free or really cheap, so it wasn't a bad read for the money.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I listened to the unabridged CD version of this book read by Paul Michael. It was a great audio book and Michael did a wonderful job of all manner of voices. It's another in the Shane Scully - LAPD - series. Shane gets himself ingrained in the movie biz in order to catch mobsters and help quell a gang war. It was a good listen.
Cecelia/Ceil
May 03, 2009 Cecelia/Ceil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying listening to this series. Shane Scully is a policeman who places himself in many action situations. Tough guy with a good heart and interesting family history. Dick Hill was an excellent reader of the first two I listened to, and Paul Michael is also a very good reader for this series.
Kristen
Aug 11, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Another great novel in the Shane Scully series. This one involves Shane going undercover working as a movie producer and also entangles his son's life with his former gang members. A number of great storylines which are not fully tied together until the end. Now on to book 4!!
Debby
Sep 08, 2009 Debby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced, but rather convoluted mystery involving a Shane Scully and the LlAPD, a former informant, a film producer, a prostitute, a film project, a suspicious fiance, three LA gangs involved in a gang war, the mafia, and drug runners. Whew!! An entertaining read!
Mr. Crusader
Nov 18, 2013 Mr. Crusader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the Shane Scully series that I have read to date. Cannell did a great job with the characters and storyline. Alreayd started reading the next book in this series (Vertical Coffin).
Allan Hayes
Jan 26, 2016 Allan Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kept me hanging on the entire story.
Deana Young
I've never read a Stephen J. Cannell book but he writes for series on TV. This book was really good as an audio book. The reader does a nice job and the book is interesting.
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Above the Law
  • Walking Money (Bill Tasker, #1)
  • Zero-Degree Murder (Search and Rescue Mystery #1)
  • The Border Lords (Charlie Hood # 4)
  • The Informant
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Goat-Ripper Case (Sonoma Knight PI, #1)
  • Exact Revenge
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • The Shadows of Power
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Criminal Justice
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu
More about Stephen J. Cannell...

Shane Scully (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)
  • On The Grind (Shane Scully, #8)
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)

“I must not take joy from status or power, but from my accomplishments, and the way I chose to accomplish them.” 0 likes