If Wishes Were Horses

If Wishes Were Horses

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  654 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Young Tizra and her twin brother Tracell find their world abruptly changed when their father is unexpectedly called to fight in a war which promises to last much longer than the usual three-day skirmish. Their mother - the village healer - enlists her children to assist her in caring for the many refugees left wounded and homeless by the conflict. Inspired by her mother, T...more
Mass Market Paperback, 114 pages
Published October 2nd 2007 by Cosmos Pub. (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about If Wishes Were Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Wishes Were Horses

Lisa
(originally reviewed on starmetal oak book blog)

When I received this book I was quite surprised, it's a small, cute square hardcover with such pretty artwork. It's quite short, at 96 pages, and even then the pages are quite small.

If Wishes Were Horses is a glimpse into a fantasy world and is driven by the characters. It centers on Tizra, a twin whose father goes off to war to support their prince. This is shortly before her and her brother’s 16th birthday, and when she is supposed to receive a...more
Maki
This is the first book I've read by Anne McCaffrey.

Well...not really a book. It's more of a short story.

If Wishes Were Horses is about a twin brother and sister nearing adulthood. It's about war, and how people pull together to make the most of things. It's about the strength of women, and the power of humans to adapt and survive despite the challenges that life throws at us. But mostly, it's about growing up.

The story itself isn't very character based. You have your main cast, yes, but the stor...more
Paul
This short fantasy novel explores the power of hope and love, and that dreams really can come true.

Lady Talarrie Eircelly has a well-known gift for healing in their small country village. Whether the malady is physical or emotional, she is The Person To See. Her husband, Lord Emkay Eircelly, is known as a fair ruler of the village. They have several children, including teenage twins, Tirza and Tracell. Life is pretty good in the village, until a messenger arrives from the king with news of war.

L...more
Sarah Mckenna
Very short, all about bearing up in the face of hardship. As a coming-of-age tale it leaves something to be desired, it's a little too gentle on that front. There's no real loss for the protagonists so it's really hard to see any growth in them - the general privation brought on by a distant war is more implied than even explicitly stated. I read the e-book but supposedly the print version is very pretty. A story for little kids.
Stacy
This was a short and fast read. Tirza tells the story of what happened when a two year war broke out in the kingdom. She highlights how smart her mother is and the strength she has. Also she talks about how her twin brother and her will be turning sixteen and all Tracell (her brother) wants for the day he becomes a man is a horse. Yet with the war horses are hard to come by. Tirza fears that this is something even her mother will not be able to accomplish. This story shows the bound of love and...more
Catherine Yezak
It was a different type of story than what I am used to. I wasn't crazy about it ending so abruptly. I felt like more of the story needed to be explaine, too many questions. I also didn't like the addition of another story being published by the same publisher added to this story.

The story was inventive and interesting. I would have liked to see what happened to the twins and what is so special about their abilities and the meaning of the crystals.
Bookstorequeer
A very short read, quick and entertaining. I kept expecting the story to open up into a story of more magic, more adventure than just one home, behind war lines, but it didn't. That was a little disappointing but at the same time, it holds the potential for a larger story, so that's interesting.

It's always nice to read an Anne McCaffrey that I never knew existed and this was a sweet one. Definitely YA, but it does round out a collection.
Jackie Krasuski
Definitely not one of McCaffrey's greatest achievements. I felt a little lost, like she never took me into the story. There was not a lot of time for development of the story, either. I think this would be better if it was longer, maybe with more background about what is going on. It was a nice quick read though, and good for anyone who does not want to get obsessed with series books.
Cindy
There's a lot of story in this short book. It tells of a family and community's struggle to prepare and perservere through some very tough times.

I think there's some good messages in this book especially if you consider the crystals as symbolic of the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It does elude to power coming from crystals.
It was shelved in the young adult section.
Irina
A very interesting story with strong and practical characters. There is very little drama in the traditional sense. McCaffrey doesn't take us to the midst of the battle or to the strategist's table, instead, we are with those left behind at home. The characters exhibit the best qualities of family and internal strength in the midst of confusion and fear.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
This was a fast read. Ms. McCaffrey is one of the few writers who writes from the perspective of the beta character. Or I guess the main character is not the "best" and heroine. Instead, Tirza is the slightly overlooked one. She's out shined by her mother. My preference is for her sci-fi/fantasy books. This was nice, but not really my favourite.
MissSusie
This was a cute little book only about 80 pages so was a very quick read but a good story.I love Anne McCaffrey's Pern books,this one was quite different.I do however wish it would have been longer because it was a good story.All in all if you want a quick read this is a good story.
A cute, short little story. There was some magic in it, but it didn't really work. I don't know, it really felt as if if the magic/mystic elements were added in later and not fully developed. At least, not as much as in the rest of her works.
Kelley Ross
I was excited to come across this book in our local used books store because I've never seen it before anywhere else. :)

A fun, short read. Although I have to say that Anne mccaffrey's series books are always better than the singles.
Amy
I only read the first 3 pages. I could not get interested. I read and reread the same paragraph over and over, before I finally just decided to put it down. I don't see myself ever giving this book another chance.
Megan
A book from when I was younger. My brother read all of McCaffrey's dragon books, so my parents thought I might like her writing too. Re-reading it was inspired by the Medieval Times theme for Cub Camp
Amy Livingston
Didn't finish, read about a quarter and just couldn't get vested in this very short story. I respect her work, so I'm giving it three stars for that reason.
Sharon
I little gem about providing horse to King Arthur. Probably not appropriate for an adult, but that's when it came out, so that's when I read it.
Lindsay
Decent little short story. Good primer for getting back into reading again. :)
Theresa
a short story of a young girl and her wish for friendship and companions
Marva
This was a short book, but one that made me feel very good after reading it.
Tweller83
An interesting fairy tale but not all that deep. Ok read.
Kailyn
IT wasn't even about horses, still good though.
Monica
Loved this novella. Beautiful.
Nicole
A charming little novella
Emily
short fun little story
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder
Jeff Bettell
Jeff Bettell marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • The Gratitude of Kings (Thieves' World / Lythonde)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The River's Gift
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Atlas of Pern
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)