Start by marking “Deep Summer” as Want to Read:
Deep Summer

Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Not long before the American Revolution, Judith Sheramy, a Puritan girl from New England, rode a flatboat down the Mississippi River with her family. On the river she met an adventurer, Philip Larne -- cavalier and slave smuggler.

The story of Judith and Philip is one of struggle - the passionate struggle of their stormy marriage, their struggle from jungle cabin to plantat
Published December 12th 1996 by Buccaneer Books (first published January 1st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Summer

Misfit
This is a wonderful tale of two families settling into Louisiana while it was still a wilderness, carving out their homes, crops, subsequent plantations and family dynasties, along with their dependence on slaves to maintain those plantations.

The author has a nice way of making you feel and see the realities of life in the south, including the bugs and the oppresive heat. It was wonderful learning about the early settlers in Louisiana, up to its entrance into the US as a territory. Prior to tha
Lori
Originally published in 1946, this novel is the embodiment of classic southern historical fiction! Suffice to say, I LOVE IT!!! Well developed characters and a fast paced storyline... I really didn't want it to end!!! But I'm happy to say I get to enjoy two more books in this trilogy... I recommend to every historical fiction fan!!!
Meg
This is the type of book that sucks me in from the first page. It has everything I love in a book. History of a place I know little about (Louisiana) human endurance, complex family relationships, and love. It was written in the 1930's and told of the building up of a Louisiana plantation in the late 1700's. I am not sure if it is because of when it was written, or because the author was trying to be true to the time that the story took place, but the story was told by the white people and only ...more
Kate Quinn
Deep Summer is the first of Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy, which centers around a Louisiana plantation and the family who runs it. Judith is a Puritan girl on the boat to the Louisiana frontier with her strait-laced family, and she startles herself by eloping with a handsome and penniless aristocrat named Philip who is determined to start his own dynasty in the raw and rough Delta country. The book chronicles Philip and Judith's life from early love through poverty, children, riches, betraya ...more
Christa
I am torn between 'liked it' and 'really liked it'. Great read for anyone intersted in the old south and new orleans. The portrayal and address of slavery is a bit off putting. this book was written in 1937 and there is a liberal use of the "n" word. Otherwise, it is a good story. Felt that parts of it were a bit rushed. Starts off with good charater development but towards the end there are some holes. I liked it well enough to put the next installment on hold at the library.
Kimba
Deep Summer is the first novel in the Plantation Trilogy originally published in 1946 and thanks to Open Road Media it isnow available digitally. It takes us into the lives of Judith Sheramy who along with her family traveled down the Mississippi River from New England to begin life anew in Louisiana. Along the way they encounter Philip Larne, a charismatic slave smuggler who enchants young Judith and encourages her to come build an empire with him.

Caffeinated Aspects:
• Bristow brings the Missis
Terri
I've been a fan of Gwen Bristow since I was a teenager when I first read Celia Garth so I was quite excited when my sister gave me this to read. It's a pretty good story about pioneering in Louisiana in the years before and after the Revolutionary War. Although the historical detail is completely accurate, I was a bit ashamed of the way the slaves were discussed and treated and also how those with money looked down on the poor whites. Judith and Philip Larne are likeable, but since my present wo ...more
Trish
I received an ARC by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Deep Summer is the first of Gwen Bristow’s Plantation Trilogy that is being re-released. I grew up in the 1970’s reading my mother’s books voraciously. I adored Ms. Bristow’s other books, as they were epic historical novels with heroines that I adored. I don’t know why this one slipped through the cracks. Deep Summer follows Judith Sheramy from the moment she marries Philip Larne as a young girl in the early days of Louisiana b ...more
Mirella
Once in a while, a great book comes along – and this is it! From its compelling characters, to the tumultuous backdrop, this family saga kept me enthralled to the very end. The first book in a trilogy, Deep Summer’s main focus is Philip and Judith Larne who marry and establish a plantation in the Louisianna territory. The story expands to encompass key characters from surrounding plantations.

Beautifully written, the storyline moves along at a steady clip as the characters face numerous threats i
Karen
I liked this quite a bit; it's an interesting look at the very beginnings of plantation life (first indigo plantations; later sugar and cotton) in Louisiana. There is a lot about the slave trade and slavery which is uncomfortable to read now, but which I'm sure is pretty accurate. This is the start of a three-volume family saga, and it's interesting to follow the fates of the several different families in the book, who are from quite different social classes.
Kimberly
I loved Gwen Bristow's Jubilee Trail so wanted to read another. I enjoyed it but didn't really like one of the main characters. It was interesting to read about life back then on the southern plantations (this was set in Louisiana) were just starting, about the same time as the Revolutionary War.
Jan
Oh lordy, I read these great potboilers when I was a teen avid for some historical romance. They are out of print, mostly, but there are Kindle editions. I just love re-reading them every once in a great while. Total guilty pleasure, so there!

One caveat. These were written in the late '40's, so there is plenty of racism in these historical novels that are about plantation owners in the Deep South. The only African American characters that get any treatment at all in the novel are half white, so
Susan Gabel
This series is very good. I read it years ago and still remember them. I introduced my daughter to them and she loves them also. I would recommend them if you enjoy reading about a family and following them through the years.
Rouen
Gwen Bristow’s classic Southern novel tells of the first forays of a family of settlers in deep Louisiana. The Sheramys travelled from Connecticut to what they call then as West Florida in the 1880s to claim a land property. As they cruised along the Mississippi River, they happened to meet a dashing young man who fancied the Sheramy daughter, Judith. Originally published in 1937 and the first book in Plantation Trilogy, Deep Summer is mostly the story of Judith Sheramy and Phillip Larne when th ...more
Kris
3 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

"For his service in the king's army during the French and Indian War, Judith Sheramy's father, a Puritan New Englander, is granted a parcel of land in far-off Louisiana. As the family ventures down the Mississippi to make a new home in the wilderness, Judith meets Philip Larne, an adventurer who travels in the finest clothes Judith has ever seen. He is a rogue, a killer, and a thief - and the first thing he steals is Ju
Idril
Die 15-jährige Judith aus Connecticut ist mit ihren Eltern und ihrem Bruder auf einem Boot in Louisiana unterwegs, um sich dort niederzulassen und ein neues Leben auf der eigenen Plantage zu beginnen. Unterwegs begegnen sie dem etwas zwielichtigen Philipp, in den sich Judith prompt verliebt. Kaum am Ziel angekommen, brennt sie mit ihm durch. Philipp hat wie Judiths Vater Land von der englischen Krone für Verdienste im Krieg bekommen. Auch er gründet eine Indigo-Plantage. Wie wird Judiths Leben d ...more
Annette
First of a trilogy, we meet the Larne family - Judith, the matriarch's story. How the family came to live in New Orleans, the children, extended family, and some friends. Although a good story, it skims over so much and Judith, although in the long-run is a good person who learns a lot through her life, the story begins when she is 15, so she complains a lot. I kept picturing a technicolor movie from the old movie studios... but will probably read the other two just to see what happens to the fa ...more
Kristina Brownell
I totally skimmed the last half of this book. The storyline moves along quickly, but it's TOO quickly. I wasn't given enough time during their struggles to develop real feelings about the characters and because of that, nothing they go through seems important. It all came off as shallow. Too bad because I love the time period and the setting.
Muriel Schwenck
One thing I really remember from this book was when the woman is lying on a hot humid bed in labor, they put the bed posts on bowls of water to keep the ants from crawling on her.
That's how miserable it was in the Louisiana jungle in the pioneer days.

The Plantation Trilogy is great reading, insightful and educational. HIghly recommended.
Jenmartini
So,I really wanted to enjoy this book. It had the makings of the kind of stories I love. But for some reason I just couldn't really get into it. It was partially that everyone fell in love so quickly. ( also why I didn't love Les Mis-really? You see a girl once and fall desperately in love? Nope.)
So, in the end, not my fave. Would I suggest it? Maybe if you're just really desperate for something to read.
Trudy Carlson
My favorite book venue is historical fiction and the Deep Summer series starts with the beginning of the Louisiana purchase and ends with the uprising of slaves on plantations. The second book continues with the same family members but skips a generation. I first read this series when I was in my 20's and have reread it many, many times and every time it's as if I am reading it for the first time.

This series is a case of not judging a book by its cover because the cover would lend one to believe
HeavyReader
Dec 28, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction/romance
Shelves: fiction, louisiana
I have been trying to think of the name of this book and the others in the trilogy for months. Today I just tried typing "Louisiana trilogy" in the search bar, and what do you know, this one and its companions popped right up. I had no idea it would be so easy. (Now if I could only figure out a way to search for the fantasy trilogy about the woman who doesn't know she is the hero...I can't remember the titles or author of those either.)

Anyway, I read this book in middle school or early high scho
April Dinucci
Gwen Bristow managed to cram 36 years of story in 275 pages successfully wihtout leaving the reader feeling like they missed out on anything. The 2 main characters of this novel were wonderfully written, especially Phillip. He was so humanly imperfect you loved and hated him (much like with a real husband =-) By the end I was balling. This was an epically tragic novel that kept you on the edge of your seat with one dramatic occurance after another. Just an FYI, this novel is nothing like Celia G ...more
RsvpShindig
I wouldn't say the writing was award winning. It might be considered fiction, but I think the storyline was one that was played out across plantations in the South. It was not an easy life for anyone. I definitely plan to read the rest of the books in the trilogy. It's a quick read to boot!!!!
Karen
It took a while, but I finally got into it a enough to want to know what happened. Unfortunately, I didn't like it much more than that. The book I checked out of the library lists a family tree of the more promenant characters, but the book ends before you get even half way through it leading me to believe there is another book that follows it up. Due to the age of the book and the lack of information about books by this author, I haven't a clue if I'll ever find it.
Rachel
I want so much to give this book five stars. I love the story and the characters, and it is such a great start to this trilogy. My problem is my 21st century mindset. I know this was written in a different time and about a different time, but some of the ways Bristow talked about slavery bothered me a lot. However, the plot and people sucked me in from the beginning, and I think Bristow was has an awesome talent!
Mary
Nov 28, 2009 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: wanted to read more by the author of Jubilee Trial
An engrossing story of the settling of Louisiana before the Revolution, it's the story of the making of a plantation from raw jungle. From her married beginning in a cabin to a comfortable life in a mansion, the heroine was proud to have helped create a "culture of tradition and gentle manners". A romance about a family, the manin character here is Louisiana.
Pamela L
Absolutely wonderful! This author was way ahead of her time. Classic!
Dec 03, 2013 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school and up
Shelves: 2013
Not as good as Celia Garth, but still very engaging. I was interested in the setting of Louisiana during and after the Revolutionary War. Because they were owned by France and then Spain, they never really got involved with that war. It is also a good tale about forgiveness.
Amy
Jan 14, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers and older
This is another Gwen Bristow book and it too is great. It is almost as good as Celia Garth but I can't rate it the same because...well Celia Garth is just that good. It is another Revolutionary War romance story. It's original copyright was 1937. Very good book!
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Savannah Purchase
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • Fairoaks
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • Emmeline
  • Beany Malone
  • The Proud Breed
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • The Black Swan
  • Marianne (Marianne, #1)
  • Waiting For Willa
  • The Long Masquerade
  • The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
  • Restraint
  • Die Hüter der Rose
  • Banners of Silk
American author and journalist. She studied at Columbia University and afterwards wrote for a number of literary magazines and journals. Eventually she moved to New Orleans, and worked at the Times-Picayune. She became interested in longer forms of writing—novels and short stories—through her husband, screenwriter Bruce Manning, and published her first novel in 1929.

Bristow reached the pinnacle o
More about Gwen Bristow...
Jubilee Trail Celia Garth Calico Palace The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2) This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy, #3)