Start by marking “The Cinder Path” as Want to Read:
The Cinder Path

The Cinder Path

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  632 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
'You're a loser; you were born a loser.' Was that the whole truth about Charlie MacFell? Was he just the kind of nice chap who always takes the dirty end of the stick, lacking the inner strength to take a firm stand in life or love alike? In one of the most powerful and distinctive novels that this author has written, Catherine Cookson brilliantly portrays a man in search ...more
Published 1979 by Corgi Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Cinder Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cinder Path

The Stand by Stephen KingThe World According to Garp by John IrvingA Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'EngleEye of the Needle by Ken FollettRumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer
Best Books of 1978
25th out of 85 books — 34 voters
The Dwelling Place by Catherine CooksonThe Glass Virgin by Catherine CooksonThe Fifteen Streets by Catherine CooksonFeathers in the Fire by Catherine CooksonThe Wingless Bird by Catherine Cookson
Favourite Catherine Cookson Book?
10th out of 31 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Dorcas
Apr 05, 2014 Dorcas marked it as did-not-finish
I'm not really enjoying this one so I'm bailing at 44%. Too many unlikable characters and I'm tired of everyone grousing at eachother.
Sep 09, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
The downtrodden son of a farmer, married to one woman but in love with her sister, ships off to World War I in search of glory and redemption. On the front lines, he must battle not only the enemy but also the demons of self-doubt which have plagued him throughout his life.

This movie is available at YouTube.

4* Feathers in the Fire
3* The Girl
4* Th
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Tara Chevrestt
Very unlikeable characters. The main man, Charlie is a wimp, fool, and sissy. The sisters torn apart over him are Victoria, a mega you know what and Nellie, an alcoholic. This so badly lacks Cookson's usual flair.
Doreen
Jul 27, 2014 Doreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is one of my all time favorites that I read when I was in my early twenties.
Saranga Sharma
Jan 17, 2016 Saranga Sharma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story of charlie, a farm guy, with a tyrannical father. He falls for Nellie though marries her sister, unable to take a stand. Fights in world war while his wife cheats on him. Finally finds peace with Nellie and comes back to his farm to live a life of peace.
Bettie☯
John Anderson
Feb 13, 2013 John Anderson rated it really liked it
I think this must be one of her best. I especially liked the way she dealt with the Great War and its aftermath. The chapters where Charlie is in hospital and as well as his shrapnel injuries is suffering with the effect of battle Fatigue (or perhaps we would call it Post Traumatic Strees) were exceptionally vivid. Her characters are solidly built and believable.
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Rachel
Apr 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
most of cathrine cooksons are great always been a fave of mine since nine the ones i dont like are more to do with the story rather than her style .
Carmen
May 26, 2014 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Like Thomas Hardy C. Cookson recognizes the inevitability of fate
Moira
Nov 15, 2013 Moira rated it it was amazing
I read this book some time ago and it was an excellent read.
Linda
Oct 19, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Another good Cookson family saga.
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Tracy Andrews
Tracy Andrews rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Eileen McCann
Eileen McCann rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Patricia D. Nachbar
Patricia D. Nachbar marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Claudy Dixon
Claudy Dixon marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Michelle Martin
Michelle Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Denise K. Gendrow
Denise K. Gendrow rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Joro
Joro added it
Jan 09, 2016
Jeannette Roberts
Jeannette Roberts rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • The Wild Island (Jemima Shore, #2)
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • The Curry Secret
  • Salem Street (Gibson Family Saga, #1)
  • A Brief History Of The Future
  • This Time of Dying
  • The Old Straight Track: Its Mounds, Beacons, Moats, Sites and Mark Stones
  • Water Gypsies
  • Permaculture One
  • Jesus the Man: Decoding the Real Story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene
  • The Queen's Dwarf
  • The Earl's Honorable Intentions (Glass Slipper Brides, #3)
  • Mary Bell's Comp Dehydrator Cookbook
  • The Goddess in the Gospels: Reclaiming the Sacred Feminine
  • Promises Broken (The 4400)
  • Under the Ivy: The Life & Music of Kate Bush
  • High on a Mountain: Ailean (Maclachlainn Saga #1)
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...