Start by marking “Our Flag: The Story of Canada's Maple Leaf” as Want to Read:

Our Flag: The Story of Canada's Maple Leaf

This popular one-stop reference to the national flag of Canada has been updated and revised. Ann-Maureen Owens and Jane Yealland start with basic background on all the different flags that have flown over Canadian land, and why they flew there. They then turn to the fascinating play-by-play of how today's beloved maple leaf flag design came to be --- including how some ...more
Published August 1st 2014 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Flag

Teena in Toronto
Jun 09, 2014 Teena in Toronto rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye because Canada Day is coming up in a couple weeks. Plus I thought it would be interesting to read how our flag came to be.

It's a small book (36 pages) but full of information:

* History of flags
* First flags of Canada
* Our original flag (the Union Jack of Britain)
* History of our flag and how it came to be
* Guidelines for flying the flag
* Provincial flags
* Internet links

Though directed to children, I found it an interesting read as an adult. The information is in chunks an
Mary Prado
Jul 11, 2014 Mary Prado rated it really liked it
Written by Ann Maureen Owens and Jane Yealland
Illustrated by Bill Slavin and Esperanca Melo

This book highlights the history of the flag, how the maple leaf became the symbol for the Canadian flag,the story of Joan O'Malley's flag and other interesting facts. It talks about why we respect our flags, and why we fly the flag. This book is educational, informative and a perfect asset to every child's education.
Katarina
Jun 14, 2014 Katarina rated it it was amazing
Truly the definitive guide to the Canadian Flag. There were some facts in there that I didn't know, so it was a very interesting book.

It's geared towards kids, but people of any age can enjoy the illustrations and the information provided.
Andréa
Ann-Maureen Owen and Jane Yealland have packed a lot of information about the history of Canada's flag (and the history of Canada itself) into this kids' book. As an American, I don't know much about Canada's history; we have so much history of our own to teach that there isn't much time to cover Canada in school. So everything in Our Flag was new to me. I was most surprised by how young Canada's flag is; I never knew that it only became official in my parents' lifetime!

The information is presen
Barbara
Although Canada's flag doesn't have quite the dramatic history behind it that Old Glory does, readers will be fascinated to read about the debate behind which design would be used for the official flag. I had no idea that the flag that now represents Canada became its official flying representative back in 1965. I must say that using the maple leaf as a symbol of this country strikes me as perfect. The book also provides some history of flags in general, flags that flew over Canada, and the ...more
Earicka
Oct 11, 2014 Earicka rated it it was amazing
The History Of Canada's Flag

This is a great book explaining the origins of Canada's flag and how it came to be selected. It also teaches about a lot of other flags also. It would he a great resource for any teacher doing a lesson on Canada or for any patriotic Canadian family to teach their children the history and origin of their national flag. I really found it interesting as well as informative and educational. I believe this is a great book to be used in a group setting.

*** This book is writ
Erin Walker
Erin Walker rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Anisha
Anisha rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Oct 02, 2014
Jeff N
Jeff N marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Alexandra Hart
Alexandra Hart marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Paylig
Paylig added it
Jul 05, 2015
Patricia Manyala
Patricia Manyala marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016