Blank-133x176
The Fulfilments Of Fat...

Storm Constantine

The Fulfilments Of Fate And Desire The Third Book Of Wraeththu (Wraeththu #3)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The third volume of Storm's original Wraeththu trilogy, expanded and updated. This final story is narrated by Cal, one of the most complex and mysterious of all the Wraeththu characters. Down on his luck, and haunted by his questionable past, Cal comes to realise he cannot escape his destiny, and that the har he once loved and believed dead is now ruler of all Wraeththu.
Published (first published August 1st 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about The Fulfilments Of Fate And Desire The Third Book Of Wraeththu

Kirt
It took me awhile to get around to this one, as the narrator for this book is Cal, who, unfortunately, is the hinge of the series, it seems. I say "unfortunately" as Cal is my least favorite character. Like Lestat, he seems to be one of those aristocratic and hedonistic assholes that certain female geek authors find appealing for no reason I can possibly understand.

So, it was slow going. Luckily, some more interesting characters are introduced, as well as more interesting Wraeththru tribes, and,...more
Zie Renea
Fulfilments is the third book in the original Wraeththu trilogy, and is told from the point of view of Calanthe, a character who features importantly in all three of the books. I was always a little fascinated by Calanthe, but never liked him until this book (and even then, the way he (view spoiler) kind of made me cringe a little).

I really liked this book. I loved the series. Constantine has a way of writing that you just can't drag yourself away from (or ma...more
Nerine Dorman
This is the final instalment in Storm Constantine’s trilogy, and is told from Cal’s point of view, ostensibly in the form of his journal keeping while he travels. We join him in Fallsend, as far from the light of Immanion as he can get, surrounded by all the dregs of Wraeththu society, many of whom have run and can get no further. The Cal we meet here is vastly different from the Cal we got to know through Pellaz’s and Swift’s eyes.

Bitter and negative, he has very little purpose, and revels in h...more
TheFountainPenDiva
The journey finally ends and Calanthe's destiny fulfilled. When I wrote that reading tnis series was like a journey, I meant that in every sense of the word. It was like traveling through a mysterious land as well as traveling through the unmapped territory of the heart and the mind.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1993:]. This last of the three Wraethtu books is told by Cal, who has been a central figure in all three. In this one, through a flashback structure imposed over a quest journey, we get explanations of the mysteries in Cal's past as well as the completion of his self-acceptance. In terms of structure, I think this is the most satisfying of the three books, although the actual climax - a massive environmental/psychic event in the capital city of Immanion, which changes i...more
Caroline Tracey
Enjoyed the three books. Love the setting and ideas and the writing is great but somehow the characters are not fully formed. Think she would have been better off staying along the apocalyptic story line than the paradise one and kept the setting quite basic. Think if she had more depth to the characters and their motivations, which I don't think would have taken much this series would have been the best ever. As it was I really enjoyed it and wished it would never end. I am looking forward to r...more
Deary Darling
I wish I could read a book the in the same way that I observe matter. I see the sky and accept that it is what it is. Why is it I can't read a book without somehow feeling cheated of what it could have been? Who knows, but the fact is, I do, and this is how I feel after 2405 pages of Wraththu-ness.

It was good, yes, but there were things I found distracting after a while. Why the horses and ye olden day life when there were cars and planes and telephones? What up with the Dwarves and Elven folk-...more
Synesthesia
This one is my favourite in this series. Yes, Pell and Swift are cool, but we know it's all about the mysterious Cal breaking hearts left and right, taking aruna with so many important Har. He has a destiny to fulfill, one that he has been kept from, but when he rises out of the mud and dirt, he does it so extraordinary well.
Maria Ray
Fantastic ending to this trilogy! I think this was my favorite book. The author's writing just gets better and better throughout. Cal's point of view was exciting, humorous and dramatic. Really loved this series!
Erulisse
As the culmination to the Wreaththu chronicles, this brings understanding to the structure of this new society. I really liked these and will get more.
Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
*note to self. (copy from Al).

different cover different ed. 1988 Orbit books. will scan & fix when I read it.
S
I didn't really feel the whole destiny thing/climax of the story but I love Cal.
Chy
{throws head back and laughs} Awesome.
Inara
The third book of the Wraeththu Chronicles
Melissa
this is my favorite in the trilogy.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Mary Kegeian
Mary Kegeian marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • The Standing Dead
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • Burndive (Warchild #2)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Home Ground (Darshian Tales, #4)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • The Merro Tree
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Shadowdance
  • Fairytales Slashed 2
  • Bedtime Story for a Stolen Child (Stolen Child, #1)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Shadow Man
  • Stowaway (Travelers #2)
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or...more
More about Storm Constantine...
Wraeththu The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu, #1) The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1) The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (Wraeththu, #2) Sea Dragon Heir (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #1)

“If life is a battle, then my inner scars are medals for valor, for swiftness, for courage, for passion. Evil is the dark-haired brother of Good; they walk hand in hand—always.” 10 likes
“The bloody times, the horror, will just be history to them, words on a page, so how will they dare to judge? Very easily, I should imagine.” 2 likes