Start by marking “A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook For Marijuana Users” as Want to Read:
A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook For Marijuana Users

A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook For Marijuana Users

Mass Market Paperback, 157 pages
Published January 1st 1971 by Pocket Books (first published 1970)

Eric
Jan 17, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: stoners, anyone who's been in the same room as pot, repressed fanatics secretly curious about drugs
A hilarious classic that's sure to entertain stoners and non-stoners alike. A play on the book, "A Child's Garden of Verses", this book is funny. Not wry-smile funny. Not clever-turn-of-phrase funny. Seriously, tears-coming-down-the-eyes funny. If you have ever felt the slightest twinge around stoner humor, this book will leave you breathless. It's been years and I still remember such tips as how to hide your pot by, "Throwing it really high (useful only for very short periods of time)" and not ...more
Wendi Staib-smith
Jan 01, 2014 Wendi Staib-smith rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I wish I still had this book! As a teenager in the late 1980's, I discovered my mother's early-edition copy of it; I got at least ten years' enjoyment out of it before it was permanently "borrowed" from me. Even after multiple reads, the sheer silliness of Mr. Margolis' writing style had me cracking up to the point of hiccuping. Tears streaming down my face? Too cliché... No, I SOBBED with laughter! I snorted. I occasionally humiliated myself in front of friends and family. Do not doubt ...more
David Ward
A Child's Garden of Grass by Jack S. Margolis (Ballantine 1978)(362.295). Every hippie's shelf held a copy of this legendary guide in the 1970's. I wonder where my copy is? My rating: 8/10, finished 1975.
Jenn
Jan 14, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is -hilarious-. I inherited it from someone or other, and really, it's brilliant. Painfully funny. Even when read sober! :P
John Mangan
Jun 27, 2014 John Mangan rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this when I lived in Australia in the early 1970s. Even though I've never smoked any substance ever (I just hate smoking) I really laughed a lot at the humorous asides. The footnote about meditating to see God was an absolute classic and still makes me laugh even now. Highly recommended for the jokes as I can't bring any personal experience to review the practices.
Susan Blackwell
Oct 02, 2014 Susan Blackwell rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious. A great example of counter culture from the flower children. I bought this book for 10 cents at a yard sale and it is one of my favorites.
katemfs
Jul 08, 2007 katemfs rated it really liked it
I want every copy of this book in existence.
Ray A
Dec 28, 2012 Ray A rated it liked it
Very entertaining book; got it back in the early '70s at a small bookstore in Chicago's Old Town. Tied in beautifully with the whole "Weekend Hippie" flavor outside Lincoln Park :-)
Tom Potter
Aug 30, 2016 Tom Potter rated it it was amazing
I read this a long time ago as a teenager and it was hilarious. One day, it just disappeared. I think my mom took it and destroyed it.
Robert Mooney
Jan 24, 2008 Robert Mooney rated it really liked it
A user's manual. Hilarious, even without the smoke.
Debi
Apr 11, 2011 Debi rated it liked it
I used to own a copy of this book in my teenage effort to be as cool as possible. It was stolen while I was in college. I'm sure it would be a collector's item today.
Yosef
May 15, 2014 Yosef rated it it was amazing
This book has a unique kind of humor makes whatever you are drinking come out of your nose, and also, sometimes, tilt your head to one side in temporary puzzlement.

The other author besides Jack Margolis (who at one time had a TV show in LA called the Arbogast and Margolis show, that was very strange and funny at the same time*), is Richard (now Rabbi Chaim) Clorfene, a creative genius who went on to write books about the 7 Laws of Noah and the Third Temple.

Jack Margolis had a very small part in
Ross
Jan 29, 2009 Ross rated it it was amazing
this was very educational and usefull. I plan on using this information very wisely
J. Walker
May 13, 2016 J. Walker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: stoners
One of my all-time favorites.
Based a film project (an uncompleted film project) at college on the book, I was so enamored of it.
Lenny Husen
Jul 27, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable, a classic. Read it in 2012. Everything you've ever wanted to know about getting high.
Dayva
Apr 05, 2008 Dayva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What can I say? It's what we did back then.
The book is some of the best humor I've found, intended or not!
Matt Wilson
Matt Wilson rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2007
sianna
sianna rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2008
Dash
Dash rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2008
~
~ rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2008
Terry Dyke
Terry Dyke rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
William Savage
William Savage rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Alrotundo
Alrotundo rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2010
Bonnie Mccullough
Bonnie Mccullough rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2007
Allan Cronin
Allan Cronin rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Miriam B. Sayer
Miriam B. Sayer rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2009
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Kariel Atreyu
Kariel Atreyu rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2009
  • A Field Guide to Sprawl
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
  • A Terrible Love of War
  • The Agony of Power
  • The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from Our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans
  • Everything I Need to Know about Motherhood I Learned from Animal House