A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook For Marijuana Users

A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook For Marijuana Users

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Mass Market Paperback
Published January 1st 1971 by Pocket Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Garden of Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Garden of Grass

Eric
Jan 17, 2008 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: stoners, anyone who's been in the same room as pot, repressed fanatics secretly curious about drugs
A hilarious classic that's sure to entertain stoners and non-stoners alike. A play on the book, "A Child's Garden of Verses", this book is funny. Not wry-smile funny. Not clever-turn-of-phrase funny. Seriously, tears-coming-down-the-eyes funny. If you have ever felt the slightest twinge around stoner humor, this book will leave you breathless. It's been years and I still remember such tips as how to hide your pot by, "Throwing it really high (useful only for very short periods of time)" and not...more
Wendi Staib-smith
Oh, how I wish I still had this book! As a teenager in the late 1980's, I discovered my mother's early-edition copy of it; I got at least ten years' enjoyment out of it before it was permanently "borrowed" from me. Even after multiple reads, the sheer silliness of Mr. Margolis' writing style had me cracking up to the point of hiccuping. Tears streaming down my face? Too cliché... No, I SOBBED with laughter! I snorted. I occasionally humiliated myself in front of friends and family. Do not doubt...more
Yosef
This book has a unique kind of humor makes whatever you are drinking come out of your nose, and also, sometimes, tilt your head to one side in temporary puzzlement.

The other author besides Jack Margolis (who at one time had a TV show in LA called the Arbogast and Margolis show, that was very strange and funny at the same time*), is Richard (now Rabbi Chaim) Clorfene, a creative genius who went on to write books about the 7 Laws of Noah and the Third Temple.

Jack Margolis had a very small part in...more
Jenn
This book is -hilarious-. I inherited it from someone or other, and really, it's brilliant. Painfully funny. Even when read sober! :P
katemfs
I want every copy of this book in existence.
John Mangan
I remember reading this when I lived in Australia in the early 1970s. Even though I've never smoked any substance ever (I just hate smoking) I really laughed a lot at the humorous asides. The footnote about meditating to see God was an absolute classic and still makes me laugh even now. Highly recommended for the jokes as I can't bring any personal experience to review the practices.
David Ward
A Child's Garden of Grass by Jack S. Margolis (Ballantine 1978)(362.295). Every hippie's shelf held a copy of this legendary guide in the 1970's. I wonder where my copy is? My rating: 8/10, finished 1975.
Ray A
Very entertaining book; got it back in the early '70s at a small bookstore in Chicago's Old Town. Tied in beautifully with the whole "Weekend Hippie" flavor outside Lincoln Park :-)
Debi
I used to own a copy of this book in my teenage effort to be as cool as possible. It was stolen while I was in college. I'm sure it would be a collector's item today.
Dayva
What can I say? It's what we did back then.
The book is some of the best humor I've found, intended or not!
Lenny Husen
Thoroughly enjoyable, a classic. Read it in 2012. Everything you've ever wanted to know about getting high.
Ross
this was very educational and usefull. I plan on using this information very wisely
Robert Mooney
A user's manual. Hilarious, even without the smoke.
Jim
I remember this as a funny book back in the day.
Graham
terrible book I think,
but best cover ever
Phyl Lolo
Phyl Lolo marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bryna Lee
Bryna Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Aw
Aw marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Child's Garden of Grass A Child's Garden of Grass: The Official Handbook for Marijuana Users Impotence is always having to say you're sorry, and other questionable insights Childs Garden of Grass Jack S. Margolis' Complete book of recreational drugs