Start by marking “Theme Gardens” as Want to Read:
Theme Gardens

Theme Gardens

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
How to plan, plant and grow 16 different gardens: fragrance, colonial, butterfly, mon, children's, old roses, zen, Shakespeare, gray, love, hummingbird, secret, medieval, grass, Victorian and winter. Includes a garden primer, plant hardiness zone map and further reading.
Published 1982 by Workman Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Theme Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theme Gardens

For those who want step by step instruction in laying out a particular kind of garden...this book can be most helpful. Various types of gardens are included & plant lists are provided ...some history on each particular garden is also added in some cases.

Writer's style is very approachable & easy to high & lofty botanical terms to look up in the dictionary.

Author carefully explains various aspects of developing the projects in some cases such as how to build raised bed
This was my first gardening book, and I bought it even before I had a garden. I just loved the idea of themes which was new for me at the time. I bought it when I was in college at a small gift shop on campus, and I read it cover to cover.
This book is the reason I studied horticulture in college. I tried to emulate these beautiful plans but plants kept failing and I needed to understand what I didn't know. Thanks Ms. Damrosch for inspiring in me a lifelong passion for gardening.
Great resource when planning a new garden or modifying an existing one. I liked the idea of a "theme" and the author gives a number of inspiring ideas.
Ok, but not an outstanding gardening book. Good pictures and good garden layouts for a novice.
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
A Lee
A Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
L. Jewell
L. Jewell marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ella marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jillybear marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Susan Burns
Susan Burns marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Terri added it
Jan 25, 2014
Ulrike marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara has worked professionally in the field of horticulture since 1977. She writes, consults and lectures on gardening and farming and is owner of Four Season Farm, an experimental market garden in Harborside, Maine.

Barbara writes a weekly column for for The Washington Post called A Cook's Garden. She is also the author of The Garden Primer and Theme Gardens and her writing has been published e
More about Barbara Damrosch...