Start by marking “Jane Austen and the Clergy” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen and the Clergy

Jane Austen and the Clergy

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Jane Austen was the daughter of a clergyman, the sister of two others and the cousin of four more. Her principal acquaintances were clergymen and their families, whose social, intellectual and religious attitudes she shared. Yet while clergymen feature in all her novels, often in major roles, there has been little recognition of their significance. To many readers their st...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen and the Clergy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen and the Clergy

Beth Bonini
This is one for enthusiasts -- and not so much of Jane Austen, but of the late 18th/early 19th century. I enjoyed it, particularly when I could glean bits/anecdotes for my volunteer role at Jane Austen's House.

Considering how many men in Jane's life were clergyman -- not least of all her father and two of her brothers -- it is interesting that they do not come off very well in her novels.
Tracey
A lot of good background on the church during Jane's life. Some of it I already knew, but I have enough gaps in my C of E history knowledge that I found this useful.
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Beth Dickey
Beth Dickey is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Kris Tina
Kris Tina marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Quirkyreader
Quirkyreader marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2012
Leah Madsen
Leah Madsen marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Heather Denigan
Heather Denigan marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2011
Colin
Colin added it
Nov 23, 2010
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2010
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2010
Jane Austen: The Parson's Daughter Poems to Ponder for God's Glory Via Cape Race: The Titanic Marconi Shipwrecks and the Lighthouse People The Age of Progress: A Survey of European History from 1789-1870 Government and Society in France: 1814-1848