Start by marking “Good Things in England” as Want to Read:
Good Things in England

Good Things in England

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A collection of 853 regional recipes dating back to the C14th. It is full of fresh ideas and appetising descriptions of English specialities.
Published 2000 by Persephone Books (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Good Things in England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Things in England

Geranium Cat
I already love this book and I've only just skimmed the surface. I find old recipes endlessly fascinating and this is an excellent collection. Not so much a book to cook from (Dorothy Hartley might be better if you want to experiment) but a piece of social history which disproves the popular fallacy that the English can't cook.
Veronica
May 15, 2009 Veronica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: keen English cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
I'd been looking for this book for literally years, so I was pleased to find it at Abebooks for a reasonable price. I was even more pleased when I received it within two days, and it was in immaculate condition -- the previous owner had clearly never been near the kitchen with it. It is a beautifully produced book, complete with gorgeous patterned endpapers and a matching bookmark!

I love old cookbooks, particularly English ones. Both Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson refer to this in their books
Rosemary
Apr 26, 2014 Rosemary rated it liked it
Shelves: persephone
I'd never sit down and read cookbooks if Persephone didn't publish them. Their cookery books always have some social and historical interest. They're never just a collection of recipes.

Here we have recipes collected from different parts of England and different periods in history. Florence White with her English Folk Cookery Association comes across as a well-meaning enthusiast but it's sad to think that within a few years the Second World War with its rationing, egg substitutes and lack of fre
Eliane
May 19, 2009 Eliane rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
This is as much an historical document as a cookery book. A collection of recipes from all over England and from the last two centuries prior to its publication in the 1930s, Good Things in England is really fascinating, containing gems such as rook pie and the enormous variety of things people used to eat for breakfast together with still easily made puddings. I'm not sure I'll cook from it but I love having the book around.
Julie
Jan 10, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Charming & old fashioned. How many of us have use for a recipe for "Mock Turtle Soup from a Sheep's Head"? Some recipes were a source of amusement such as "A Hedgehog Tipsy Cake", "Grassy Corner Pudding" & "Fat Rascals". Other recipes were informative such as "How to make Good Toast" & "How to make Coffee in a Jug or Billy-Can". A piece of history perhaps & worth preserving, however, not much practical use in my kitchen.
Sharon
Jan 28, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Love this book, a piece of culinary history, filled with British traditional recipes some with literary references. I do have to look up measurement conversion for the recipes but otherwise this is a great resource for anyone with an interest in food and it's history, some of these recipes date back to the middle ages.
Meg
May 11, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it
I am unlikely to ever cook from this but as a historical document of food, recipes and regional differences, it was a delight.
K
K rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Zara Riches
Zara Riches marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Maria Hammon
Maria Hammon marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Anastasia Vishnivetskaya
Anastasia Vishnivetskaya marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Susie Blayney
Susie Blayney rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Otto Campagnoli
Otto Campagnoli marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
kymdotcom
kymdotcom rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Marion Kemp
Marion Kemp marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Florence White was a food writer who established the English Folk Cookery Association, and published a number of books on cookery and other domestic matters.
More about Florence White...