Start by marking “A Gentle Awakening (The Best of Betty Neels)” as Want to Read:
A Gentle Awakening (The Best of Betty Neels)

A Gentle Awakening (The Best of Betty Neels)

"DON'T THINK YOU CAN COME SNEAKING BACK HERE IF YOU ARE EVER OUT OF A JOB!"

Florina's father was furious when, after a lifetime of drudgery, she finally developed the courage to rebel. But there was no danger of her returning home. Florina loved her new job as cook in the household of eminent consultant William Sedley. And it wasn't long before she realized that she loved h
Published December 1st 2004 by Harlequin (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentle Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentle Awakening

Fiona Marsden
Nov 28, 2015 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it
Betty really is the best Prozac read. This is the story of Florina who is a drudge in her father's house, working as a cook in a hotel. The hero is an eminent consultant...of course...Sir William Sedley. English. Yes gentle reader, not Dutch although he has Dutch colleagues. It is Florina who has a Dutch connection on her deceased mother's side.

Sir William has purchased a house in Florina's village so his daughter Pauline can experience country living. Which is always desirable. Florina applied
Leona
May 10, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it
Fun and fast paced. I enjoyed that the heroine really disliked OW and it made for some funny, over the top moments. The ending was a bit too rushed for my taste and somethings seemed to contradict earlier parts of the story. But overall an enjoyable read and if you are a fan of Betty Neels, you will enjoy this one.
Cecilia
Aug 16, 2013 Cecilia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this book for its kind hero and skilled though poor and plain heroine. The villainous father and snotty other woman were rather over the top, but only detracted somewhat.
Pamela Shropshire
Apr 27, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tgb
This is the one where the H is English and the h is half-Dutch. Way to think outside-but-pressed-right-up-against-the-box, TGB! (credit to TBBT)

Florina is small and thin with ginger hair and a trained Cordon Bleu cook. She's been working at a hotel in nearby Wilton until she hears of an opening for a cook at a private home nearby. Florina's father is a whiny hypochondriac who treats Florina like a drudge.

So Florina goes to work for Sir William Sedley. It is a delightful job and soon she decides
Teri-k
Sep 21, 2015 Teri-k rated it it was ok
Didn't like this one quite as well as I expected to. I did appreciate that the heroine stood up for herself against the OW. But she didn't communicate with the hero at all, even when he asked her questions. And there didn't seem to be any good reason for her not to tell him, for instance, that she wasn't interested in the other man. Since I dislike books where one or two explanations could have cleared everything up, I wasn't crazy about this one. Too bad. :(
Marybelle
Mar 27, 2016 Marybelle rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The main characters are well developed, however only the female protagonist, Florina, shows any real growth. Sir William kind of knows where he's at and where he's going, but he doesn't let the rest of us know it. Would have really liked to have seen a confrontation between Sir William and Felix who really needed to be brought down a peg. I also wish Sir William had put Florina's father in his place.
Susan Davis
Jul 13, 2015 Susan Davis rated it it was amazing
Some books you just like to read over and over. I'm not sure why I like this book so much, as the father and docs girlfriend are so annoying, but maybe it's the soothing water sounds and her attitude that makes this a annual read for me.
Janice Aitkens
Feb 19, 2016 Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice book but i was thinking how dated it is firstly if your boss however good looking kissed you he could be done for sex harassment
But all Betty Neels books I have read there is a gentleness of a time gone by without being Victorian & becoming a historical book as I can actually
Patricia schmit
Jul 31, 2016 Patricia schmit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Little too Gentle

Although I like anything written by Betty Neels, this story is really not as good as it should be. The plot is a bit contrived, I think, but still, is a good "light" read.
Nell
Oct 31, 2011 Nell rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites, I wanted to live in that house and feed swans on my patio - sigh
Allison
Mar 19, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
It was fine. I was glad that the cook stood up for herself. I felt the ending was a bit rushed.
Teresa cox
SM
Heather
Aug 07, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-novels
The one where she's the cook.
Monique
Star Rating: ...more
Aayesha Khatri
Oct 11, 2013 Aayesha Khatri rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Dana
Oct 16, 2016 Dana rated it really liked it
What is it about Betty Neels? I have read this book at least three times. It's such a cozy, warm read. Very sweet. For some reason, it works for Neels. I love this book.
Hopefulpuffin
Sep 20, 2016 Hopefulpuffin rated it really liked it
I'm fairly new to Betty Neels but I've enjoyed the books I've read by her so far. They're super-formulaic - somewhat downtrodden heroine who is not quite plain, hero who's well-to-do, perhaps some very minor angst/misunderstanding and a marriage proposal sealed with a kiss.

Here you've got a heroine who's a chef, her father who's horrible, and the renowned pediatrician hero with a harpy fiancee and a charming daughter.

It's clear what's going to happen and eventually it all works out in an relat
Nenya
Feb 19, 2016 Nenya rated it really liked it
h is not a nurse! she's a cook. *gasp* ;). the H is a doctor though. and the H is not dutch, the h's mother was!! SO different from all the others (by Betty Neels). lol.

H is engaged to ow (wanda). stereotypical ow-- wears fashionable clothes, dislikes children and people with less money/social status and stupid enough to show it. But H still panders to her. *sigh* some ppl just do get through life with everyone pandering to them. so unfair, and so real. *sigh*

H's first wife was a disaster... pa
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2010
L
L rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Hillary Pettegrew
Hillary Pettegrew rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Kel
Kel rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2009
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Tia
Tia rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Wunmi
Wunmi rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Angela Barton
Angela Barton rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Miranda Huybers
Miranda Huybers rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
  • Besieged
  • His Inherited Bride
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • Desire for Revenge
  • Pertalian Yang Indah (The Marriage Decider)
  • 3, 2, 1... Married!: Catch a Cowboy, Collide with a Single Daddy, Get Personal
  • Wife Against Her Will (Harlequin Presents, #2544)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Dylan (The Mighty Quinns, #2)
  • The Second Mrs Adams
  • The Sister Swap
  • The Baby Discovery (Bachelor Dads, #3)
  • The Greek's Royal Mistress (Princess Brides, #2)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and ...more
More about Betty Neels...