Fate Takes a Hand

Fate Takes a Hand

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Too good to be true?

When Eulalia first met Fenno, she found him thoroughly irritating! So she was alarmed when her attraction to him escalated to uncomfortable levels. And it certainly didn't help that he was engaged to another woman.

Eulalia had more important things to take care of—like finding a home for herself and her young cousin. But her mysterious inheritance of a c...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Harlequin Books (first published 1995)

Leona
This was an engaging light read from Betty. I give it 3.5 stars, rounding to 4 because

√ Liked the name Eulalia. Liked Aunt Lally better (easier to say)
√ Loved the secondary romance. Ahhhhhh
√ Really liked the hero, so debonair (Rich Dutch Doctor)
√ Fantastic, really disturbing and vicious OW. (What a b#$@%)
√ Hero finally wises up and actually goes to break his engagement with OW! Yeah!

My only negative is I didn't get my "I'm dumping your sorry as#$" scene. Nope, instead hero walks into the room an...more
Cecilia
Feb 15, 2012 Cecilia rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who don't mind a seriously non-feminist outlook on life
Pretty standard Betty Neels romance, as usual very old-fashioned. A quote that pretty much captures the whole book in a nutshell:

Later...she sat in the kitchen, staring at the wall, wishing with all her heart that by some mysterious means Fenno van Linssen would come and sort out her life for her.

Had she but known, that was exactly what he was doing.

I usually read Neels as a kind of sedative - they're not bad to fall asleep to. There's no suspense or action to keep you awake, and since they'...more
Miglet
Another BN that I've never read (thank you Harlequin Treasury)...And what a treat this was even though, for the life of me, I will never know how to pronounce Eulalia.

A bit of the standard Betty Neels large Dutch surgeon who's engaged to the wrong woman and meets Eulalia storyline, but there is an orphaned young cousin and a secondary romance that adds even more to the usual charm of Betty Neels' romance.
Fiona Marsden
Eulalia is the typical good hearted heroine struggling to provide a good home for her orphaned cousin Peter who is still at school.

Fenno van Linssen is an eminent Dutch surgeon, engaged to an irritatingly selfish woman who is obviously unsuited.

When Fenno becomes involved in her life after Peter has an accident, he finds himself wanting to smooth her road and he does so fairly competently. Of course Eulalia is gifted with plenty of stubborn pride so she doesn't take kindly to all this charity.

A...more
Drebbles
I've read almost all of Betty Neel's books and this is now one of my favorites.
Eulalia Warburton is working in a flower shop and struggling to make a life with her old friend, Trottie and her deceased cousin's eight year old son, Peter. Fenno van Linssen is a wealthy doctor who walks into her flower shop and much to her dismay, keeps showing up in her life. Fenno is engaged to a beautiful but selfish woman who is only marrying him for the prestige of being a doctor's wife. Fortunately, he realiz...more
Heather
I like this one, but doesn't Fenno sound like something you should find in your spice rack?
Nora
A gentle read that, while predictably by her formula, still entertains.
Janet
Lovely, traditional Neels. Unusually, there is a secondary romance between the heroine's housekeeper/gramma sort and the doctor's butler/houseman.
Peggy Ann
Peggy Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Lamia
Lamia marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Jan 01, 2014
Sorcha
Sorcha marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Wunmi
Wunmi marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Tishke
Tishke marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Suzi Bakkes
Suzi Bakkes marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl (The Best Of Betty Neels) The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance A Girl In a Million (The Best of Betty Neels) Winter Wedding