Start by marking “Polly” as Want to Read:
Polly

Polly

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Working for Professor Sam Gervis was difficult enough, even if you hadn't fallen in love with him. But Polly had. Luckily she was realistic. Sam was engaged to the lovely Deirdre, and besides, he would never look twice at anyone as quiet and mousy as her. So Polly sensibly decided to get away and take up a new career nursing children. But she soon discovered that Sam wasn' ...more
Published October 1st 1984 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Polly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polly

Leona
I really loved the family element in this one. All the way from the hero's sister, to Polly's loving parents, to two beautiful, wonderfully nice sisters. Throw in a charming grandmother and it really is an "all in the family" kind of romance.

I enjoyed that we didn't know too much about the hero and that his story was slowly revealed throughout the entire book. I liked how we gained more insight into his feelings as we learned more about him. It was an interesting technique that made me go from
Fiona Marsden
This was a slightly different but still very typical Betty Neels romance. Polly is bright with A-Levels in Greek and Latin but of course they aren't very useful in a career unless you want to be an academic. She can type so she can get occasional jobs typing manuscripts for scholarly old gentlemen.

Sam Gervis is a friend of the elderly professor she works for so when the old man dies midway through her typing his magnum opus, Sam takes over and Polly gets to know him, his lovely sister Diana and
Pamela Shropshire
Polly Talbot is an intellectual girl fluent in both Greek and Latin. She lives in a country village with her family - father is a schoolmaster, mother is housewife, younger (in years, anyway) sisters Cora and Miriam who are pretty social butterflies, and younger brother Ben. She gets an opportunity to type a manuscript for a local scholar, Sir Ronald, that compares various aspects of the Greek and Roman worlds and she embarks on this project. All too soon, Sir Ronald dies of a sudden stroke. A g ...more
I liked Polly a lot, she knows Latin and Greek, and wants to do something with her life, but she doesn't have much she could train for. Lots of fun side characters in the Hero's sister and cousin, Polly's two pretty (but nice!) sisters, and another doctor at the hospital.

Worth reading just for an awesomely hilarious scene where Polly convinces a woman not to become a surgeon because getting married to a surgeon and raising his children would be way better.
Olly
Polly is a lovable character. Plain face with clever brain. Cheerful girl, happy with just the way she is. Her relationship with the Hero, describing how far distance between them. Poly just twenty years old and Sam thirty Six with fashionable fiancee.
Very interesting story.
I like it.
Patricia
Old, classic romance with a happy ending. Sometimes I crave these because although predictable, they're warm and told just right and you find yourself enjoying the slow gentle romance just for what it is. Lovely.
Sammy
The hero was an ass. He kept his fiancee while leading around the heroine for the entire story...his reason: he needed to be sure he loved the heroine. Talk about selfish. He hurt two women in the process and was entirely disrespectful. Then, what was more outrageous was that he forced the heroine to give up her career so that she could spend all her attention on him and the children that they would eventually have. The heroine enjoyed her work and had only given up her career because of him.

Nee
Kathy
I've got to say that this book gets an extra star just because Polly's friend/coworker is called Nurse Honeybun. That name is almost as good as the satyr eyebrows for Rolf in Tangled Autumn. When I finished reading Tangled Autumn, all I could picture was little Rolf's and Sapphas with those same eyebrows.
Melissa
I enjoy her books while I'm reading them but they are all very similar, like rereading the book with different names and places. They have sweet characters in them though that you can't help but root for.

Allison
Another sweet read from Betty Neels. The only complaint I have us that her endings are always very short. I want to know note!
Denae
To think, it almost seemed like they weren't a doctor and nurse.
Linda
Very relaxing read, lighthearted and basic.
S
rustic chatterbox!
Morin
Morin marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Isha Bhatt
Isha Bhatt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Alyssa Edmonds
Alyssa Edmonds marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Palak
Palak added it
Jun 01, 2015
Valerie Diaz
Valerie Diaz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Wilma Yanzon
Wilma Yanzon marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Alice
Alice added it
May 18, 2015
Random
Random marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Nobody's Angel
  • Luke (Harlequin Temptation, #938)
  • My Only Love
  • Runabout (Wild Oats, #2)
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Best Man to Wed?
  • Forgotten Husband (Santanas Men, #1)
  • Triple Play
  • The Cozakis Bride
  • Golden Girl
  • The Texan's Dream (McLain, #5)
  • Blind Curve
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze, #424)
  • The Unforgettable Husband (Amnesia)
  • The Lady Flees Her Lord
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance A Girl In a Million (The Best of Betty Neels) Winter Wedding