Start by marking “Polly” as Want to Read:
Polly

Polly

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Working for Professor Sam Gervis was difficult enough, even if you hadn't fallen in love with him. But Polly had. Luckily she was realistic. Sam was engaged to the lovely Deirdre, and besides, he would never look twice at anyone as quiet and mousy as her. So Polly sensibly decided to get away and take up a new career nursing children. But she soon discovered that Sam wasn' ...more
Published October 1st 1984 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Polly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polly

Fiona Marsden
This was a slightly different but still very typical Betty Neels romance. Polly is bright with A-Levels in Greek and Latin but of course they aren't very useful in a career unless you want to be an academic. She can type so she can get occasional jobs typing manuscripts for scholarly old gentlemen.

Sam Gervis is a friend of the elderly professor she works for so when the old man dies midway through her typing his magnum opus, Sam takes over and Polly gets to know him, his lovely sister Diana and
Leona
I really loved the family element in this one. All the way from the hero's sister, to Polly's loving parents, to two beautiful, wonderfully nice sisters. Throw in a charming grandmother and it really is an "all in the family" kind of romance.

I enjoyed that we didn't know too much about the hero and that his story was slowly revealed throughout the entire book. I liked how we gained more insight into his feelings as we learned more about him. It was an interesting technique that made me go from
I liked Polly a lot, she knows Latin and Greek, and wants to do something with her life, but she doesn't have much she could train for. Lots of fun side characters in the Hero's sister and cousin, Polly's two pretty (but nice!) sisters, and another doctor at the hospital.

Worth reading just for an awesomely hilarious scene where Polly convinces a woman not to become a surgeon because getting married to a surgeon and raising his children would be way better.
Olly
Polly is a lovable character. Plain face with clever brain. Cheerful girl, happy with just the way she is. Her relationship with the Hero, describing how far distance between them. Poly just twenty years old and Sam thirty Six with fashionable fiancee.
Very interesting story.
I like it.
Patricia
Old, classic romance with a happy ending. Sometimes I crave these because although predictable, they're warm and told just right and you find yourself enjoying the slow gentle romance just for what it is. Lovely.
Kathy
I've got to say that this book gets an extra star just because Polly's friend/coworker is called Nurse Honeybun. That name is almost as good as the satyr eyebrows for Rolf in Tangled Autumn. When I finished reading Tangled Autumn, all I could picture was little Rolf's and Sapphas with those same eyebrows.
Melissa
I enjoy her books while I'm reading them but they are all very similar, like rereading the book with different names and places. They have sweet characters in them though that you can't help but root for.

Allison
Another sweet read from Betty Neels. The only complaint I have us that her endings are always very short. I want to know note!
Linda
Very relaxing read, lighthearted and basic.
S
rustic chatterbox!
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Silver Anton
Silver Anton marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jennifer Binkley
Jennifer Binkley marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Deanna Turner
Deanna Turner marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Arabellavidal
Arabellavidal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Silke
Silke added it
Nov 21, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • Nobody's Angel
  • Luke (Harlequin Temptation, #938)
  • My Only Love
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Best Man to Wed?
  • Forgotten Husband (Santanas Men, #1)
  • Runabout (Wild Oats, #2)
  • Triple Play
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Golden Girl
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze, #424)
  • The Texan's Dream (The McLain Series 5)
  • The Mistress Bride
  • The Italian's Wife (A Mediterranean Marriage, #2)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • The Obedient Bride
  • Protecting Plain Jane (The Precinct: S.W.A.T. Team, #2)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl (The Best Of Betty Neels) The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance A Girl In a Million (The Best of Betty Neels) Winter Wedding