Start by marking “Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937” as Want to Read:
Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937

Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Cades Cove
The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937
Durwood Dunn
Winner of the Thomas Wolfe Literary Award!

Drawing on a rich trove of documents never before available to scholars, the author sketches the early pioneers, their daily lives, their beliefs, and their struggles to survive and prosper in this isolated mountain community, now within the conf
Published August 15th 1988 by Univ Tennessee Press (first published August 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Cades Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cades Cove

Matt
Strictly based on primary materials: land transfers, court records, journals, church notes and so on, this great work tells the history of a small community without bias or inference. It takes to task the myths and romantic fables spread as journalism and ethnography in the early part of the Twentieth Century by writers like Mary Noailles Murfree of isolated back-country "hicks". This community was destroyed by eminent domain in the Thirties to make way for the Great Smokies National Park. Dunn ...more
Denise
Have to love books that make you keep a dictionary on hand, as you come across atypical words! This book is nonfiction and is fairly informative about this area. Each chapter focuses on a specific aspect of life in this region, with plenty of other works cited for further explorations.
George
A good history of one community in the Smokies that refutes a lot of the stereotypes about Appalachia.
Jenn
This very academic history book reads like a novel. I really enjoyed this book and learned a tremendous amount about the Cade's Cove settlement. I wish all historians wrote with a style similar to Dunn. History doesn't have to be a chore to read.
Marjorie
I started this three days ago and I'm half done. Reads fast for a detailed non-fiction accounting of the start and stop of white settlement of Cades Cove. Lots of evidence and references. Balanced intellegent anaylsis of factors. Good pictures too. Geographically there's a reason Cades Cove is so special. For anyone who enjoys learning about historical geography, this is a good read.

I did not know that the entire region (multiple states) suffered economic depression for nearly 30 years after th
Elaine
Jul 04, 2012 Elaine added it
Usually I don't add books until I am finished, but I am going through a busy time, amd thought I would start adding my ide onas this topic. I had a lot of experiences in my childhood with traveling through the Appalachian Mountains and was rather diisnterested. The last few years have brought me through a corner of North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina,and Tennessee, and I am hooked on learning about the culture and heritage. This should be fun to read, I hope.
Rosanna
This was required reading for Dr. Eller's History 580 course. Unlike most of the books I read cover to cover, it is not a fiction novel. It is a true account of the occurrences in Cade's Cove, a place in Tennessee. This book truly held my attention, containing an interesting, true story, chocked full of intriguing details.
Keith
a great picture of appalachian life on the frontier. this is must for anyone living in e. tennessee. i'll warn you, the writing is weak and overcooked in some places. i read this book while also reading sutree by cormac mccarthy. this book would've been so much better if it had been written by mccarthy.
Peter
Excellent history of a southern appalachian community, just happened to located in the Great Smoky Mountains
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Ross Mohn
Ross Mohn marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Jeff Petry
Jeff Petry marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Ezra Adams
Ezra Adams marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Teresa Tipton
Teresa Tipton marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 28, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Yvonne B. Plouse
Yvonne B. Plouse marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Georgiana Juliet
Georgiana Juliet is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cades Cove: Life Death Southern Appalachian Community The Civil War in Southern Appalachian Methodism Civil War in Southern Appalachian Methodism King of the Moonshiners: Lewis R. Redmond in Fact and Fiction Abolitionist Appalachian South: Ezekiel Biroseye