Start by marking “Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937” as Want to Read:
Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937

Cades Cove: The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Cades Cove
The Life and Death of a Southern Appalachian Community, 1818-1937
Durwood Dunn
Winner of the Thomas Wolfe Literary Award!

Drawing on a rich trove of documents never before available to scholars, the author sketches the early pioneers, their daily lives, their beliefs, and their struggles to survive and prosper in this isolated mountain community, now within the conf
Published August 15th 1988 by Univ Tennessee Press (first published August 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Cades Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cades Cove

Matt
Jun 09, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Strictly based on primary materials: land transfers, court records, journals, church notes and so on, this great work tells the history of a small community without bias or inference. It takes to task the myths and romantic fables spread as journalism and ethnography in the early part of the Twentieth Century by writers like Mary Noailles Murfree of isolated back-country "hicks". This community was destroyed by eminent domain in the Thirties to make way for the Great Smokies National Park. Dunn ...more
Denise
Jul 11, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Have to love books that make you keep a dictionary on hand, as you come across atypical words! This book is nonfiction and is fairly informative about this area. Each chapter focuses on a specific aspect of life in this region, with plenty of other works cited for further explorations.
George
Jun 27, 2008 George rated it liked it
A good history of one community in the Smokies that refutes a lot of the stereotypes about Appalachia.
Jenn
Feb 02, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This very academic history book reads like a novel. I really enjoyed this book and learned a tremendous amount about the Cade's Cove settlement. I wish all historians wrote with a style similar to Dunn. History doesn't have to be a chore to read.
Mom2atornado
Mar 02, 2016 Mom2atornado rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book because I am absolutely fascinated by Appalachian history but I just could not get into this book. I kept putting it down and then later force myself to try to pick it up again....after 5-6 months of doing this, I decided to shelf it and come back to it another time. The book is definitely full of information but it comes off at times very much like my dry history books from high school and a more academic read. I had hoped for more of a read about the amazing p ...more
Marjorie
Jul 17, 2010 Marjorie rated it really liked it
I started this three days ago and I'm half done. Reads fast for a detailed non-fiction accounting of the start and stop of white settlement of Cades Cove. Lots of evidence and references. Balanced intellegent anaylsis of factors. Good pictures too. Geographically there's a reason Cades Cove is so special. For anyone who enjoys learning about historical geography, this is a good read.

I did not know that the entire region (multiple states) suffered economic depression for nearly 30 years after th
Elaine
Jul 04, 2012 Elaine added it
Usually I don't add books until I am finished, but I am going through a busy time, amd thought I would start adding my ide onas this topic. I had a lot of experiences in my childhood with traveling through the Appalachian Mountains and was rather diisnterested. The last few years have brought me through a corner of North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina,and Tennessee, and I am hooked on learning about the culture and heritage. This should be fun to read, I hope.
Rosanna
Jan 16, 2011 Rosanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: appalachian-lit
This was required reading for Dr. Eller's History 580 course. Unlike most of the books I read cover to cover, it is not a fiction novel. It is a true account of the occurrences in Cade's Cove, a place in Tennessee. This book truly held my attention, containing an interesting, true story, chocked full of intriguing details.
Keith
Apr 15, 2010 Keith rated it liked it
a great picture of appalachian life on the frontier. this is must for anyone living in e. tennessee. i'll warn you, the writing is weak and overcooked in some places. i read this book while also reading sutree by cormac mccarthy. this book would've been so much better if it had been written by mccarthy.
Peter
Jan 22, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of a southern appalachian community, just happened to located in the Great Smoky Mountains
Tisha
Tisha added it
May 16, 2016
Scott Andrew
Scott Andrew marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jaime Dick
Jaime Dick marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jim Jolly
Jim Jolly rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
George
George rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Melissa Questell
Melissa Questell marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Tami Sheffield
Tami Sheffield marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Hank
Hank marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015