Start by marking “Love Can Wait (The Best of Betty Neels)” as Want to Read:
Love Can Wait (The Best of Betty Neels)

Love Can Wait (The Best of Betty Neels)

Famous worldwide for her tender romances featuring exciting locales, Dutch doctors and kind people, Betty Neels' stories continue to captivate everyone. These four earlier works offer readers the rare opportunity to add her earlier, sought-after stories to their collection.
Published July 1st 2004 by Harlequin (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Love Can Wait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Can Wait

Fiona Marsden
Dec 03, 2014 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it
This is a later story with an English hero and a non-nursing heroine.

James Tait-Bouverie meets Kate at his selfish aunts residence where she is working as a housekeeper. Of course they don't get on at first but find themselves thinking about each other afterwards.

Kate isn't interested in romance. Her ambition is to start her own catering company to support herself and her mother after they lost everything on her father's death.

There really isn't a lot to the story but it is engaging nevertheless
Pamela Shropshire
May 19, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it liked it
Shelves: tgb
Kate Crosby may be reduced to domestic work, but at least she has skills - she is a Cordon Bleu cook and has ambitions to own her own catering business. In the meantime, she is more or less content to serve as housekeeper to Lady Cowder in spite of that lady's parsimony and unpleasant manners.

As Fate Would Have It, Lady Cowder is aunt to our RBD, James Tait-Bouverie, who is definitely Interested in tall, russet-haired, shapely Kate.

Just when Kate has saved enough money to start her catering, she
Elisabeth Lane
Jan 21, 2017 Elisabeth Lane rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was my first Betty Neels and I can see why lots of people like her. The entire thing was rather serene. I can see picking these up at moments of gross upset and being soothed. That said, it wasn't entirely perfect.

In Love Can What, the heroine is in service because her father died leaving her and her mother virtually penniless. She works as a cook for a petty tyrant of an old woman who underpays her and doesn't appreciate her. The heroine has aspirations though. She wants to earn enough to
Lyn
Jul 06, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it
I love Betty Neels because she reminds me of the English roots of romance--Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Georgette Heyer. She uses the same elements over and over--heroine in dire straits and masterful hero usually a doctor. In this book, Love Can Wait , she does use the hero's point of view which was something she dabbled with in her later books. And they travel to Norway not Holland as usual. As an American, I'm always interested in the element of "class" differences which can separate a c ...more
Kathy
Oct 07, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Heather
After listening to my mother's remarks about these books, my father's theory is that there is no Betty Neels -- just a computer that scrambles the requisite elements (Dutch doctor, downtrodden heroine, assorted cats and dogs, evil fiance who hates children, various calamities, and faithful old family retainers) and spits out a new one.
Anne
Apr 26, 2014 Anne marked it as unfinished
Shelves: 2014
What I read was just the Harlequin version of 'Love Can Wait,' not the whole compilation.

I'd never read a proper pulp romance novel, so when I saw it at a book sale for ten cents I picked it up, but it's not really my thing. The silliness works for the genre but I couldn't get into it. The name "Tait-Bouverie" had my roommate and I laughing for days, though.
Allison
Aug 20, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
A pleasant read:)
Hopefulpuffin
Dec 21, 2016 Hopefulpuffin rated it liked it
While it's hard to wrong with a Betty Neels, this was not one of my favorites.

Let's get the car out of the way. It's a Bentley.

In Regency times, Kate would have been the dreaded "poor relation". Here, she's been modernized a bit and instead of "companion" (although she does that too), she's a housekeeper-cum-chef with a dream of owning her own catering business. Unlike most Neels' heroines, she's a bit older at 27. Still 8 years younger than James though.

James is likable enough. He realizes p
Mildred Harris
Mildred Harris rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Becky Eanet
Becky Eanet rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Charles A. Post
Charles A. Post rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Anisha
Anisha rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Naulayne Raiche Enders
Naulayne Raiche Enders rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2017
Maugz Gemille
Maugz Gemille rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Anne Burgoyne
Anne Burgoyne rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
soapturtle
soapturtle rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2017
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
May 22, 2017
Susan Noel
Susan Noel rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2010
Mich
Mich rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2017
Kelly Johnson
Kelly Johnson rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2009
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Melissa Francois
Melissa Francois rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
kelly EEK
kelly EEK rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2017
Sharon Anderson PhD
Sharon Anderson PhD rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Child of the May (Forestwife Saga, #2)
  • Lavender Lady
  • Love Can Build a Bridge
  • Except My Love
  • Smudge's Mark
  • The Chalet Girl
  • When It's Perfect (Marsh Sisters, #2)
  • Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1)
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Lost for Words
  • Entertaining Mr Stone
  • The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)
  • The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel
  • A Terrible Beauty
  • Can True Love Survive High School? (Dating Game, #3)
  • The Claidi Collection
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • The Mental Floss History of the World: An Irreverent Romp through Civilization's Best Bits
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...