Start by marking “Bambert's Book of Missing Stories” as Want to Read:
Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Bambert lives alone in his attic home. He feels out of place in the world,isolated byhis physical disabilities,and finds solace in the characters he creates in his stories. One day, he decides to send his11 stories out into the world, to find their own true setting. He attaches them to paper balloons and sends them out on a windy night. The 11th story is blank. Bambert hop ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bambert's Book of Missing Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

Megan
This book of stories, entwined into a narrative about a lonely, disabled man, was interesting, but I felt as though it was missing something. The stories are strange and sometimes dark, which is often reflected by Bambert's thoughts about why he chose to end some stories the way he did. Bambert thinks a lot about his stories, imparting to the reader lessons about the importance of setting and profound thoughts about war, love and death. Unfortunately, in the end, it just didn't grab me.
Star Girl
This is such a good book! It's about a short, deformed man that love to write stories. He sends his stories around the planet in flying paper lanterns so the stories can find they're owen settings. He puts a note in each story telling the person that finds is to send it back to him.
The story has a twist to it at the end. Be prepard to cry!

This is a must read for anyone who loves slightly sad books and short stories.
Carey
Sep 09, 2008 Carey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6-8
Shelves: young-adult
I really loved this book as it emphasised the importance of setting in writing. It also gives good samples of irony. As this is a translated book, there are a few cultural issues I feel make it more appropriate for 6-8 grade students (references to alcohol, love, etc.). Some of the stories are dark and/or retellings of important historical events - I think the reader should be able to identify these.
Onysha

This is one of the Telegraph's picks for the 100 books every child must read.
I don't agree with all their picks. I mean, Lemony Snicket's "The Bad Beginning" was there and I think that kids can spend their time on something better.
As for this selection, I am ambivalent. I think it's definitely worth reading. However, it's something like Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, best read when one is older and best read with a level of maturity higher than a ten-year-old's. The themes in this
Susan
Jul 28, 2010 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like stories, hot-air balloons, strange short men
Recommended to Susan by: Helen
Annie Evans
I read this book when I was quite young and I remember it to be one of my favourites and as I was reorganising my bookshelf I decided I ought to re read it for nostalgia's sake.

The themes of the book are a lot darker than I remember them to be and I think a great deal of the books content must have just gone over my head as a child, but reading the book again as a teenager (almost adult?) and understanding the importance of the history and the events allows me to appreciate the book and Bambert
ninotaziz ninotaziz
This is a book for each and every child who stares out the window and sees her dreams soar! It is a book that teaches children about kindness - real kindness that warms the heart like hot cocoa after skiing (And I hated skiing!)
Becca.jensen
Like many of my favorite books, I found this by accident. My son was in the middle of pulling books off the shelves as I scoured the children's section for the right Dianna Wynne Jones book (they were all checked out). When I went to put the books back on the shelves, I found this among them. I think it was the muted, fanciful illustrations that caught my eye. Before I knew it, I was flipping through the two-page spreads and wondering what the book could be about. On impulse, I laid it on the st ...more
Beth
There is no way that you could write about this book and expect to even come close to the amount of praise and love it deserves. The pure beauty of this book is infinite, as I read it I knew Bambert and I wanted with all my heart to be able to reach out to him and tell him that he is loved. He spends his whole life willing to be accepted and never really is except by the man who lives downstairs. A truly incredible book which will make you weep like your very heart is burning.
Michelle BF
This is a short and sweet book but I'm not sure what reading level I would recommend it to. It's a bit like The Little Prince but not as timeless nor with a "moral." It's foreign so I think that's part of the conundrun. Short and sweet anyway!

A recluse hides away his writing until he has one more story to write. He decides to let fate take a hand, and sends them off in mini hot air balloons to discover where they land to fit the setting into the stories. He begins receiving letters back from all
Nomes
This is a good idea, and there were some prettily written tales in the book. There were some interesting ideas expressed in several of them, and I particularly liked Frozen in Time, the Waxwork Museum, the Strange Game and the Princess of Cordoba.
The relationship between Bambert and Mr Bloom was interesting and very lovely, something that is missing in the world today and a theme of value. There were some other interesting themes raised by the stories also.
But I am still a little ambivalent ab
Von Fritz
I bought this book in the childrens section. The titles is kinda catchy.

I am Bomperts. The character is Bambert. I am a writer. Bambert is a writer.

Get that?

This is a story of a loser. Bambert writes stories but never share them...until he just decided to send them away in the world to identify there setting.

And then the stories go back to him from different countries and the tales unfold.

But then...the saddest part is Bambert's story himself.

Oh well...this is one good book.
Sharper1
I thought this one was very powerful. Just as Bambert's stories are sent out to find their proper settings, this book set out to find me. I happened to come around the corner on my rounds and found it lying on the floor like it had jumped out just for me. You get a sense of magic with this book, and I definitely bought in. It's one that grips you, makes you think, and inspires wonder. The sense of magic gets dented around the middle, but it comes out well in the end. LOVED IT.
Carmine
Nov 09, 2011 Carmine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade 7 up
Shelves: short-stories
small man living alone above a grocery lives through the stories he writes, then sends them off into the world by small hot air balloons with a hope they will be sent back to him, revealing the setting for each story. The last story is blank and he hopes it will come back to him written. A poignant read. Translated from German. The library has both editions- get the one with the Chichester illustrations.
Naseeba Alozaibi
This is an intelligently written story. Bambert's frustration as he set-free his stories into the world symbolises writers' limited power on the public's perceptions and views of thier work.. Stories adapting the setting and surrounding of those who read them. Brilliant !! This might not be the true intention of Jung but I praise him for making me believe so ;)
Adrian
I liked this book because it was short but well-thought out. It had beautiful illustrations to accompany the stories, which were sometimes funny and sometimes serious. The story made sense, which made it much better for me, as I hadn't read it yet– I thought it was a "baby book".
Overall, an ok book.
Nadine Larter
Kind of a strange book. The stories within it are rather heavy. Possibly it could be considered one of those kids books for grownups...? I did enjoy it though and I would definitely never discourage anyone from reading it despite it's oddity.
Emkoshka
A sad, sweet and dreamy little book of stories that mirror their lonely creator Bambert's life: stories of being trapped, being broken, searching for the truth, being set free. Compelling fairytales within a fairytale.
George
This edition is NOT actually written by "EGMONT" [publisher?:], it is by Reinhardt Jung, illustrated by Emma Chichester Clark.

This is a beautiful and poignant picture book for grown-ups.
Barry
A wonderful and profound little read. In tracing through 11 stories it is hard to know where the book is taking you, but at the end it all becomes evident. Highly enjoyable and enjoyably enigmatic.
Marissa Roush
IT was one of the cutest books i've read. I felt like i was setting right there his him when he was writing his stories and when he was waiting for them to come back to him.
Jordin
This was an odd book to read. It's about a little man named Bambert. He writes stories and in this book you get to read them. It's not a bad book, just unusual.
Amy Richardson
Beguiling in its simplicity, a touching depiction of a lonely man and his efforts to transcend a profoundly disappointing existence through the alchemy of stories.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This had an interesting concept-- sending out unfinished stories and getting them back finished-- but it lacked something. It didn't grab me.
Helen
Charming. That's really all I can say, charming. It would have been even better with charming illustrations to accompany the stories.
Liz
Okay. Odd, but okay. Still, I bought this from a 50-cent sale and I didn't like it enough to keep it.
Kylie
it was a good book i liked the story of the wax works cabinet.
Chase.curriculum
Assigned: 2011 Dec, E710 / Assigned: 2013 May, E710
Ferrer Joey Fesico
Nov 04, 2012 Ferrer Joey Fesico rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The joy of anticipation come true ...
  • Jennings Goes to School
  • Beowulf
  • Stories from Around the World
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • The Saga of Eric the Viking
  • The Magic World
  • The Adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle (Happy Days)
  • The Legend of Captain Crow's Teeth
  • Dreams of Dreams and the Last Three Days of Fernan
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • Manxmouse
  • The Midnight Folk
  • Underwater Adventure
  • The Road of Bones
  • Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa...
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • Rebels of the Heavenly Kingdom
  • Ounce Dice Trice
Reinhardt Jung was born in Germany in 1949. After graduating from school, he worked as a journalist and advertising copywriter in Berlin. From 1974, he worked with an international children's organization before becoming head of children's broadcasting in Stuttgart in 1992. Reinhardt Jung was married with two daughters.
More about Reinhardt Jung...
Dreaming in Black & White Das geheime Wissen der Pinguine, Bd.1 Kleine Hande, Kleine Fauste: Ausbeutung Und Widerstand Der Kinder in Lateinamerika