Start by marking “Bambert's Book of Missing Stories” as Want to Read:
Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

Bambert lives alone in his attic home. He feels out of place in the world, isolated by his physical disabilities, and finds solace in the characters he creates in his stories. One day, he decides to send his 11 stories out into the world, to find their own true setting. He attaches them to paper balloons and sends them out on a windy night. The 11th story is blank. Bambert ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bambert's Book of Missing Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bambert's Book of Missing Stories

Megan
Feb 27, 2010 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, kid, fiction, ajpl, 2010
This book of stories, entwined into a narrative about a lonely, disabled man, was interesting, but I felt as though it was missing something. The stories are strange and sometimes dark, which is often reflected by Bambert's thoughts about why he chose to end some stories the way he did. Bambert thinks a lot about his stories, imparting to the reader lessons about the importance of setting and profound thoughts about war, love and death. Unfortunately, in the end, it just didn't grab me.
Star Girl
Sep 01, 2012 Star Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good book! It's about a short, deformed man that love to write stories. He sends his stories around the planet in flying paper lanterns so the stories can find they're owen settings. He puts a note in each story telling the person that finds is to send it back to him.
The story has a twist to it at the end. Be prepard to cry!

This is a must read for anyone who loves slightly sad books and short stories.
Carey
Sep 09, 2008 Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6-8
Shelves: young-adult
I really loved this book as it emphasised the importance of setting in writing. It also gives good samples of irony. As this is a translated book, there are a few cultural issues I feel make it more appropriate for 6-8 grade students (references to alcohol, love, etc.). Some of the stories are dark and/or retellings of important historical events - I think the reader should be able to identify these.
Onysha
Apr 07, 2014 Onysha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever

This is one of the Telegraph's picks for the 100 books every child must read.
I don't agree with all their picks. I mean, Lemony Snicket's "The Bad Beginning" was there and I think that kids can spend their time on something better.
As for this selection, I am ambivalent. I think it's definitely worth reading. However, it's something like Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, best read when one is older and best read with a level of maturity higher than a ten-year-old's. The themes in this
Susan
Jul 27, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like stories, hot-air balloons, strange short men
Recommended to Susan by: Helen
ninotaziz ninotaziz
Apr 26, 2011 ninotaziz ninotaziz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a book for each and every child who stares out the window and sees her dreams soar! It is a book that teaches children about kindness - real kindness that warms the heart like hot cocoa after skiing (And I hated skiing!)
Stargazer
What a sweet wee book.
Thanh To
Oct 21, 2016 Thanh To rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy aspects of the book, it was one of the cutest books I have read. I felt like I was sitting next to the character when he was writing his stories and waiting for them to come back. I think my classmates would enjoy it because it short and have a beautiful illustration to accompany the stories, one of the stories were funny and some of them was serious. I would recommend it to other people outside this classroom because it easy to read and understand, it's help me to improve my English ...more
Emily
Sep 19, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was suck a good book. But here is something about it. A man (Mr. Bambert) decided to write 11 stories. And he want to send the stories to the world so they can see them. But he did not want to do it a boring way. So they he decided to put them all in an envelope. He also tied it to a hot-air balloon to send it to a random person.
He waited for the windiest day of his life to send the envelope and hot-air ballon out in the sky. Also in the envelope was a letter that said to send the stories b
Becca
Jun 22, 2013 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Like many of my favorite books, I found this by accident. My son was in the middle of pulling books off the shelves as I scoured the children's section for the right Dianna Wynne Jones book (they were all checked out). When I went to put the books back on the shelves, I found this among them. I think it was the muted, fanciful illustrations that caught my eye. Before I knew it, I was flipping through the two-page spreads and wondering what the book could be about. On impulse, I laid it on the st ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Aug 16, 2015 Siskiyou-Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translation, fiction
Holy moly did Bambert's Book of Missing Stories remind me of Mary and Max. I read it in one sitting and thought it very possible that when I finished and looked up Mary and Max, I would find that the film had been written by Reinhardt Jung. It has such a similar feel, though Mary and Max is far more funny.

I think it's a bit odd that this is a children's story -- it is fairly simple on the surface. The plot doesn't have much intrigue or suspense, though there are some interesting reveals that imp
Mitch
Mar 15, 2015 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is classified as a children's book but I see no reason for this.

It is a collection of eclectic stories linked together by another eclectic story. In the book, their author is a damaged person who relates to life through his stories and he sends them out into the world by tissue-paper balloons to find their settings.

Like most short story collections, some entries are more memorable than others. I found some disturbing (do you ever read stories and wish they had turned out some other way
Michelle
This is a short and sweet book but I'm not sure what reading level I would recommend it to. It's a bit like The Little Prince but not as timeless nor with a "moral." It's foreign so I think that's part of the conundrun. Short and sweet anyway!

A recluse hides away his writing until he has one more story to write. He decides to let fate take a hand, and sends them off in mini hot air balloons to discover where they land to fit the setting into the stories. He begins receiving letters back from all
Bethany
How many wonderful pictures had wars devoured before they could be painted? How much music had they swallowed up before it could ever be heard? How many great ideas still slumbering in small children had wars destroyed?
A mostly sweet - but surprising dark at times - story, the writing was nothing special and somewhat inconsistent, and it failed to grip me, but it was worth the read if only for some lovely insights and thoughts within it. Though classed as a children's book, which indeed it is
Nomes
May 03, 2013 Nomes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This is a good idea, and there were some prettily written tales in the book. There were some interesting ideas expressed in several of them, and I particularly liked Frozen in Time, the Waxwork Museum, the Strange Game and the Princess of Cordoba.
The relationship between Bambert and Mr Bloom was interesting and very lovely, something that is missing in the world today and a theme of value. There were some other interesting themes raised by the stories also.
But I am still a little ambivalent ab
vaugnfreech
Mar 24, 2013 vaugnfreech rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I bought this book in the childrens section. The titles is kinda catchy.

I am Bomperts. The character is Bambert. I am a writer. Bambert is a writer.

Get that?

This is a story of a loser. Bambert writes stories but never share them...until he just decided to send them away in the world to identify there setting.

And then the stories go back to him from different countries and the tales unfold.

But then...the saddest part is Bambert's story himself.

Oh well...this is one good book.
Beth
There is no way that you could write about this book and expect to even come close to the amount of praise and love it deserves. The pure beauty of this book is infinite, as I read it I knew Bambert and I wanted with all my heart to be able to reach out to him and tell him that he is loved. He spends his whole life willing to be accepted and never really is except by the man who lives downstairs. A truly incredible book which will make you weep like your very heart is burning.
Sharper1
Mar 29, 2013 Sharper1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this one was very powerful. Just as Bambert's stories are sent out to find their proper settings, this book set out to find me. I happened to come around the corner on my rounds and found it lying on the floor like it had jumped out just for me. You get a sense of magic with this book, and I definitely bought in. It's one that grips you, makes you think, and inspires wonder. The sense of magic gets dented around the middle, but it comes out well in the end. LOVED IT.
Carmine
Oct 18, 2011 Carmine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade 7 up
Shelves: short-stories
small man living alone above a grocery lives through the stories he writes, then sends them off into the world by small hot air balloons with a hope they will be sent back to him, revealing the setting for each story. The last story is blank and he hopes it will come back to him written. A poignant read. Translated from German. The library has both editions- get the one with the Chichester illustrations.
Naseeba Alozaibi
This is an intelligently written story. Bambert's frustration as he set-free his stories into the world symbolises writers' limited power on the public's perceptions and views of thier work.. Stories adapting the setting and surrounding of those who read them. Brilliant !! This might not be the true intention of Jung but I praise him for making me believe so ;)
Adrian
Mar 09, 2012 Adrian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7th-grade-shelf
I liked this book because it was short but well-thought out. It had beautiful illustrations to accompany the stories, which were sometimes funny and sometimes serious. The story made sense, which made it much better for me, as I hadn't read it yet– I thought it was a "baby book".
Overall, an ok book.
Jacob Truett
Dec 21, 2015 Jacob Truett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy and wonderful read. Spent several years of my life looking for this book again and I was so glad when I finally found it. Lived up to my expectations and as I read it again, I understood so much more of the issues the book tried to convey. A great short read on a rainy day.
Nadine Larter
Mar 24, 2012 Nadine Larter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a strange book. The stories within it are rather heavy. Possibly it could be considered one of those kids books for grownups...? I did enjoy it though and I would definitely never discourage anyone from reading it despite it's oddity.
Emkoshka
Mar 09, 2013 Emkoshka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sad, sweet and dreamy little book of stories that mirror their lonely creator Bambert's life: stories of being trapped, being broken, searching for the truth, being set free. Compelling fairytales within a fairytale.
Liz
Oct 30, 2009 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. Odd, but okay. Still, I bought this from a 50-cent sale and I didn't like it enough to keep it.
Barry
Nov 11, 2009 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and profound little read. In tracing through 11 stories it is hard to know where the book is taking you, but at the end it all becomes evident. Highly enjoyable and enjoyably enigmatic.
Jordin
Jan 03, 2012 Jordin rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library-books
This was an odd book to read. It's about a little man named Bambert. He writes stories and in this book you get to read them. It's not a bad book, just unusual.
Helen
Jul 26, 2010 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming. That's really all I can say, charming. It would have been even better with charming illustrations to accompany the stories.
George
This edition is NOT actually written by "EGMONT" [publisher?:], it is by Reinhardt Jung, illustrated by Emma Chichester Clark.

This is a beautiful and poignant picture book for grown-ups.
Marissa Roush
May 15, 2010 Marissa Roush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT was one of the cutest books i've read. I felt like i was setting right there his him when he was writing his stories and when he was waiting for them to come back to him.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Where's the Dragon?
  • The Road of Bones
  • Mr. Majeika
  • The Legend of Captain Crow's Teeth
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Underwater Adventure
  • Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa...
  • Aquila
  • 'Twixt Land and Sea
  • Stories from Around the World
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • The Magic World
  • The Adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle (Happy Days)
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
Reinhardt Jung was born in Germany in 1949. After graduating from school, he worked as a journalist and advertising copywriter in Berlin. From 1974, he worked with an international children's organization before becoming head of children's broadcasting in Stuttgart in 1992. Reinhardt Jung was married with two daughters.
More about Reinhardt Jung...