Start by marking “One Day on Beetle Rock” as Want to Read:
One Day on Beetle Rock

One Day on Beetle Rock

Cultural Writing. Nature. Foreword by David Rains Wallace. Illustrations by Carl Dennis Buell. An elegant and lively depiction of nine animals spending a spring day on Beetle Rock, a large expanse of granite in Sequoia National Park, ONE DAY ON BEETLE ROCK is a classic of American nature writing. Drawing on seven years of close observation and inspired by the work of natur ...more
Paperback, California Legacy Book, 219 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Heyday Books (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about One Day on Beetle Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day on Beetle Rock

HeavyReader
Dec 09, 2015 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, animals
I read this book basically because my friend demanded I do so. She thought I'd like it because I once spent a few hours at the Sequoia National Park.

Some of it I liked. The tales of the bear and the lizard were good. The tale of the mule deer was pretty good too.

Some of it was really boring. The grouse gets absolutely still and blends in. Not very exciting. The deer mouse runs from crack to crevice looking for a place to call home--boring.

I liked the way Sally Carrighar told about the same day f
Jay Callahan
Jun 21, 2016 Jay Callahan rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the very best writing is found in unexpected places, and this book is one of them. It is a treasure.
In exquisitely clear simple, but eloquent,, language that most novelists could learn a lot from, Carrigher follows the inter-related lives of a number of animals. There is none of the common 'sweetification' or 'brutification' that many popular writers adopt. The animals don't come across as people, or anything like that, but their individuality and 'humanity' (for lack of a better word
Kate
Oct 29, 2009 Kate added it
This is a lovely book, which I really enjoyed. Some folks have a problem with anthropomorphizing but it doesn't bother me. What was really intriguing is that Beetle Rock is in Sequoia National Park, just down the road from me. I'm having daydreams about letting my grandson read this book (it's written for adults, but he reads well above his grade level) and then we could go find Beetle Rock, and sit quietly and see what we can see for ourselves!
Nick
Jan 22, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
One of the pleasantest reads of the naturalist genre
Kurt
Sep 02, 2011 Kurt rated it it was ok
A co-worker friend of mine handed me a copy of this book about 20 years ago. Today is 2 Sept. 2011, and I believe it was in 1992 that this occurred. The book was not that great -- that is probably why I had forgotten to add it to my goodreads list until now. But, it was probably my introduction to nature writing -- a genre that I thoroughly enjoy when it is good and about things that really interest me.
Carmen
Jul 30, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing
I read this back in college and it is memorable all these years later. But for some reason I thought it was set in Alaska and was so impressed I wanted to visit Alaska which I did about 8 years ago. Funny how our memories play tricks on us!
Margaret
Apr 04, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
I read this book when I was still in grade school. It was one of my favourites and I reread it often. I immersed myself in it.
Don't let your children read this. Tell them it is dangerous. They might end up on the Sea Shepard.
Judy
Jul 08, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Original copyright 1943. Follows the life of nine different animals for a day. It tells how their lives intersect. Wonderful.
Alissa
Sep 18, 2012 Alissa rated it it was amazing
A non-speciesist fiction! Wonderous. I love how small the humans are in this story. Great for reading aloud.
Gillian
Jun 24, 2009 Gillian rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. Essentially a series of short stories about different animals living on Beetle Rock.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Sem
Sem rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Sally Reid
Sally Reid rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Tm
Tm added it
Jun 26, 2016
JoAnn Atwood
JoAnn Atwood rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Maverick
Maverick marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
B. K.
B. K. is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
Autumn♥♥☽
Autumn♥♥☽ marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Ta Vandercook
Ta Vandercook marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Caryn
Caryn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Rachel Brown
Rachel Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
daniel jackson
daniel jackson rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Kip
Kip rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015