Start by marking “One Day on Beetle Rock” as Want to Read:
One Day on Beetle Rock

One Day on Beetle Rock

Cultural Writing. Nature. Foreword by David Rains Wallace. Illustrations by Carl Dennis Buell. An elegant and lively depiction of nine animals spending a spring day on Beetle Rock, a large expanse of granite in Sequoia National Park, ONE DAY ON BEETLE ROCK is a classic of American nature writing. Drawing on seven years of close observation and inspired by the work of natur ...more
Paperback, California Legacy Book, 219 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Heyday Books (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about One Day on Beetle Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day on Beetle Rock

HeavyReader
Dec 09, 2015 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, animals
I read this book basically because my friend demanded I do so. She thought I'd like it because I once spent a few hours at the Sequoia National Park.

Some of it I liked. The tales of the bear and the lizard were good. The tale of the mule deer was pretty good too.

Some of it was really boring. The grouse gets absolutely still and blends in. Not very exciting. The deer mouse runs from crack to crevice looking for a place to call home--boring.

I liked the way Sally Carrighar told about the same day f
Jay Callahan
Jun 21, 2016 Jay Callahan rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the very best writing is found in unexpected places, and this book is one of them. It is a treasure.
In exquisitely clear simple, but eloquent,, language that most novelists could learn a lot from, Carrigher follows the inter-related lives of a number of animals. There is none of the common 'sweetification' or 'brutification' that many popular writers adopt. The animals don't come across as people, or anything like that, but their individuality and 'humanity' (for lack of a better word
Kate
Oct 29, 2009 Kate added it
This is a lovely book, which I really enjoyed. Some folks have a problem with anthropomorphizing but it doesn't bother me. What was really intriguing is that Beetle Rock is in Sequoia National Park, just down the road from me. I'm having daydreams about letting my grandson read this book (it's written for adults, but he reads well above his grade level) and then we could go find Beetle Rock, and sit quietly and see what we can see for ourselves!
Kurt
Sep 02, 2011 Kurt rated it it was ok
A co-worker friend of mine handed me a copy of this book about 20 years ago. Today is 2 Sept. 2011, and I believe it was in 1992 that this occurred. The book was not that great -- that is probably why I had forgotten to add it to my goodreads list until now. But, it was probably my introduction to nature writing -- a genre that I thoroughly enjoy when it is good and about things that really interest me.
Margaret
Apr 04, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
I read this book when I was still in grade school. It was one of my favourites and I reread it often. I immersed myself in it.
Don't let your children read this. Tell them it is dangerous. They might end up on the Sea Shepard.
Carmen
Jul 30, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing
I read this back in college and it is memorable all these years later. But for some reason I thought it was set in Alaska and was so impressed I wanted to visit Alaska which I did about 8 years ago. Funny how our memories play tricks on us!
Gillian
Jun 24, 2009 Gillian rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. Essentially a series of short stories about different animals living on Beetle Rock.
Judy
Jul 08, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Original copyright 1943. Follows the life of nine different animals for a day. It tells how their lives intersect. Wonderful.
Alissa
Sep 18, 2012 Alissa rated it it was amazing
A non-speciesist fiction! Wonderous. I love how small the humans are in this story. Great for reading aloud.
Chia Pee liang
Chia Pee liang rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2008
William
William rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Sem
Sem rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Sally Reid
Sally Reid rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Miranda Whitecrow
Miranda Whitecrow rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Chris Clarke
Chris Clarke rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2010
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Sherry (sethurner)
Sherry (sethurner) rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Francesca Hampton
Francesca Hampton rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Nick
Jan 22, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
One of the pleasantest reads of the naturalist genre
Pandionhalatius37.6
Pandionhalatius37.6 rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Kip
Kip rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
MacKenzie Drury
MacKenzie Drury rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Siliconspider
Siliconspider rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2008
JoAnn Atwood
JoAnn Atwood rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016