Start by marking “New and Selected Poems 1974-2004” as Want to Read:
New and Selected Poems 1974-2004

New and Selected Poems 1974-2004

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The New York Times has called Carl Dennis’s poetry “wise, original, and deeply moving.” A poet with a growing audience of admirers, Dennis writes in a clear, classically simple language that is both personal and universal. Making use of a rich variety of genres—advice, meditation, elegy, and prophecy—his poems take unexpected turns as they explore their subjects, catching ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about New and Selected Poems 1974-2004, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New and Selected Poems 1974-2004

Richard
Oct 15, 2014 Richard rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone who likes accessible, undemanding verse.
Recommended to Richard by: intention of hearing the author read
I went through this volume with the intention of hearing Mr Dennis read, but I found the poems too loose, prosy I'd say. As I try to reach back, I cannot say that I have a clear recognition of any poem, nor can I say that the brief narratives he developed struck me or stuck with me.

With new volumes out by Gluck and Merwin, this collection really doesn't compete.
Michael
I liked these poems. They are very plainspoken and straightforward. His literary illusions are right on - and interesting. For a collection across the years I find it a very even collection. It is one of the stronger collections from beginning to end that I have come across. He has an incredible sense of detail - that while this is common in all good poets - he employs it more wisely than most.
Zach
One of three collections that Steve Orlen made me read in my first U of A semester. I appreciated the gesture, but felt the same about all three: very solid, well crafted poems that didn't excite me much.
Dianne
Wonderful poems about the most obscure of subjects and the most common.
Took a long time to read because it was absolutely impossible to rush.
Philip Nix
A source of daily wisdom and poetic pleasure
Schyuler
Schyuler is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Tania Mishra
Tania Mishra marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Chaimann
Chaimann marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Muffe_muffe
Muffe_muffe marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 24, 2014
Caitlin Snodgrass
Caitlin Snodgrass marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Isaiah
Isaiah marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014