Start by marking “Winnie-the-Pooh” as Want to Read:

Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh #1)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  187,152 ratings  ·  2,267 reviews
A.A. Milne's 'Winnie-the-Pooh' stories need no introduction. They have been loved by generations of children ever since Pooh, Christopher Robin, Piglet, Rabbit, Owl, Kanga and Roo, and Eeyore made their first appearance.
Published May 6th 2004 by Egmont UK (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Winnie-the-Pooh, please sign up.

Bodhi Looks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second…moreLooks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second book, The House at Pooh Corner. I guess it was made as some sort of "greeting card" blurb and was so touching, it spread all over the place. (congrats to whoever that author is). Christopher Robin asks Pooh to promise to never forget about him, then they go off together, but it says they will always be playing there…(less)
Bodhi I think the first book should be read first as the characters are still taking shape in the author's mind and they are properly introduced here.

Paul Bryant
Winnie-the-Pooh, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Win-knee-the-Pooh: the tip of the lip taking a trip of three steps down the palate to return at four to kiss : Pooh. He was Pooh, plain Pooh, in the morning, standing eighteen inches in one sock. He was that scruffy old bear at school. He was Mr Winnie Pooh on the dotted line. But in my arms he was always Bear.
In which the animals meet a Hostile Reviewer, and Pooh invents a New Breakfast

One morning, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood, when they spied a strange Creature lying on the ground. As they got closer, they could see that it looked a bit like a very large Boy. But what was most remarkable was that someone had tied it down with hundreds of tiny ropes. It could hardly move a finger, and there was even something tied over its mouth.

"Mmf!" said the creature in a loud but rat
Petra X
I got four matching hardback books today:

When We Were Very Young
Now We Are Six
Winnie-the-Pooh and
The House at Pooh Corner.

I was going to put some ribbon around them and sell them as a set, but I got lost in reading The King's Breakfast (and loving Shepard's illustrations) aloud. I don't really want to sell the book now. I want to have kiddies come into the shop and on the pretext of perhaps making a sale from the parents reading the poems aloud. Most of the parents won't be impressed though, the
The Winnie the Pooh books are great because everyone has some sort of problem. Pooh is painfully naïve, Piglet is neurotic, Owl is a narcissist, Eeyore has major depression, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is a sociopath, and Kanga needs to spend an afternoon with The Feminine Mystique. It's good for kids to learn that pretty much anyone you meet will have some sort of major problem.

Oct 06, 2011 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Winnie's poo
Recommended to Mariel by: Eeyore's hot tail
Celebrity Death Match versus Heart of Darkness.
Dear Christopher Robin,
Your father and I miss you but we feel that it would be best if you spent the remainder of the summer at camp, as previously agreed. You quit the boy scouts, band and your newspaper route to spend more time with those... things. Really, my son, you are much too told to play with... stuffed animals. To think, all my friends in the bridge meetings have all-star athlete sons and honor roll daughters to brag about. I have Christop

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

My baby son is six months old and as part of his bedtime routine we're reading him stories. I
Jason Koivu
Dec 19, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens book lovers and gun nuts
Recommended to Jason by: yo wait, i think it was my momma
Shelves: fiction
Pooh gets shot for godsake! I don't remember that in the version that was read to me as a child! What I recall were the sweet, pastoral tales of human-like animals living semi-silly existences in their quaint village-esque neighborhood in the woods. I liked Pooh, his muddled world view and convoluted logic, and Piglet's utter meekness had its charm, however Tigger was mah boy! He was my favorite character in the book and coincidentally my favorite ornament on my family's christmas tree. Reading ...more
Whenever I think of Winnie-the-Pooh, I think of an incredibly sweet melancholy. Like, A.A Milne is not allowed to make me feel these feels in the form of a children's story book!

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

“You can't stay i
Bryce Wilson
It's tough to read something this perfect and pure without feeling a bit like Milton's Satan, dismayed by just how far from true innocence and grace I've fallen.

Celebrity deathmatch review in which Winnie the Pooh wins.

I know some here think I am unnecessarily wordy, so let me get straight to the point. Hamlet sucks.

[Editor's note to these recently discovered papers. Tolstoy tries really REALLY hard to leave it at that, but he can't. And thus Tolstoy continues...]

As I wrote some time ago now:

None of Shakespeare’s characters shows, in such a striking fashion, the playwright’s - I don’t want to say inability—complete disregard for proper characterization
Celebrity Death Match Quarter Final

The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh versus Mary Poppins

London, Friday 14th October 2011

The Banks family have expressed their 'deep disappointment' at new discoveries in the Poppins corruption scandal. 'We just can't understand it' a tearful Mrs Banks said to reporters yesterday. 'She always looked as if butter would not melt in her mouth. It's hard to believe that she was working against t
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This book was so lovely. So, so sosososo wonderful.
I used to watch the Swedish versions of Winne-the-Pooh when I was younger, but it was not until now I decided to read the book. It is of course very enjoyable for children but I love how I could, as a teenager (or hopefully soon-to-be-adult), enjoy it to a very high extent.
I was very enthralled by A.A. Milne's way of telling this story and I thought it to be very funny, but at times also very serious and thought provokin
Celebrity Death Match review in which Hamlet and Winnie demonstrate their people skills in a job interview at a secondhand car lot.

Who would YOU buy a used car from?

Michael Kneeland
Upon seeing my five-star rating of Winnie-the-Pooh via my Facebook feed, my sister made the following comment: "The originals were depressing. I prefer Disney's cuddly version." I made the following response, which I think sums up my feelings about this wonderful classic children's book:

One day, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood when they came upon a Facebook Comment. "The originals were depressing," it read. "I prefer Disney's cuddly version."

"Th-th-that's a v-v-very b-
NGE's Brother
The Divine Comedy vs Winnie the Pooh Celebrity Death Match review because my sister was so sad that Pooh is not in the lead.

Really, of course, this is no contest; although I can understand the misguided believing there is a genuine argument here.

The trouble is the prism of time in which we are reviewing these additions to literature. One has been around for 700 years and the other for a mere 70. The genuine question that needs to be answered is: which of these works will still be considered impo
Anna Banana
Having to read these stories for my college class has been so much fun. I never got to read any of the fairytales or children's stories when I was younger and I kind of feel like I've been missing out.

Pooh and the gang are so adorable and I love everything about this book. I now have the urge to watch the show (which I've never seen before). Are there movies too? After 21 years, I'm finally a fan of Winnie the Pooh (lol)!
okay, so recently I've had a problem with children's books. Children specifically not even teen. They seemed too simple, and even if well plotted poorly written. I was at a basic point where I was willing to assume I had been wrong and no children's book was actually all that good.

and then I had a really bad day. customers were jerks and ten minutes after the store opened I was already being complained about. Karen was gone no one was really on the floor for much of the midday. We are talking s
Winnie The Pooh, the philosopher of my childhood, and dare I say quite a few other people.
You can't go wrong with Winnie, Piglet and all the other friends in the 100 Acre Wood.
Which speaking of Piglet, it was ten years later before I realized he was a little pig, he was just Piglet to me, which just shows how great these characters are, its like Stuart Little you never think of him as a mouse, he's just Stuart, its the same way with the characters of Winnie The Pooh, this has some things to do w
First time reading this. I read the Tao of Pooh first for some bizarre reason. This and Hans Christian Andersen seem to be children's stories an adult can enjoy.

Really surprised at some of the comic twists in the writing. Not sure an animated version could ever do justice to the telling. The original illustrations make the landscape look like spare Asian brush strokes blurred by rain. Maybe that's the English gorse Thomas Hardy was always murmuring about.

It was very nice to have all story and no
4.0 stars. One of my favorites growing up (at least until I discovered comic books). As with most Children's book, I enjoyed them even more when I finally got to read them to my daughters.
I don't know how I managed to get through all of childhood (not to mention a few decades of adulthood) without ever having read Winnie-the-Pooh, but there it is.

And I had feared it was too late for me now, that the charms of Pooh, Piglet, Christopher Robin et al. would elude my middle-aged eyes, their adventures too childish to be appreciated by a mind battered and hardened by harsh reality. Oh, how wrong I was.

It's wonderful.

A jewel.

Winnie-the-Pooh captured my heart from the first pag
For Celebrity Deathmatch FINAL

A blustery day. Christopher Robin is on his way to work at the London office of Goldman Sachs. He is troubled about his employers and their crooked business practices, but he has been told to remain silent and he will be rich as long as he does nothing.

Occupy London Protestor: Hey, Chris, wakeup, you're on the wrong side!

Christopher (to himself): Oh, those scraggly protestors, I wish they would just get a job already...I wonder what Pooh would say about all this.

I hardly know what to say about Winnie-the-Pooh. I have a lot of memories tied up in it that I couldn't help thinking of as I read it (including one unpleasant one where as a bitty little girl, I read in bed with the massive complete collection book, and had it on my stomach, and began to feel very queasy...). In some ways it seems much funnier now I'm an adult and understand the wordplay and the remarks that are made at the expense of the characters.

I love the illustrations, too -- they're perf
I need a re-read of this book to probe through the subtleties lying within its text. Although I could superficially perceive some of it, I will confess I was in no mood to understand it deeply, children's books being usually a boring read to me almost every-time. However I might pick this book up again at a certain moment whenever its time comes to be in my 'reading hands' once again.

Until then, ...
If you haven't read Milne, and I don't care what age you are or you intellectual or socioeconomic status, read the-Pooh. I love the-Pooh. He's so Seussian, so Andersenian, so Barriean, so Brownian, so . . . You get the point. If you don't want to read these stories, read them to your kids. Don't have kids? Read them to your nieces and nephews. None of them? Grab a kid on the street, sit 'em down and read. Just make sure you've got mom or dad's permission. No jail sentences, please. Enjoy!
Since Winnie-the-Pooh is my favourite Disney movie, I decided to read the actual novel. And guess what, now it is one oh my favourite books, too. It is so absolutely sweet, filled with smart humor. What I like most about Winnie-the-Pooh is this melancholic feeling you get while reading...oh I just really really love it so much. I will forever read this to my future children :D <3
"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do
you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting
today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.

I've always loved Pooh and The Hundred Acre Woods world. Reading this book was the loveliest tumble down memory lane I have ever experienced.
Melissa Coyle
Most gentle, endearing children's stories you can read to your young ones. A classic I highly recommend!
Goodreads Librari...: Winnie-the-Pooh 12 72 Jun 05, 2015 08:56AM
funny kids 1 27 May 23, 2014 04:41AM
friends 4 60 Oct 20, 2013 02:47AM
Seeking Best Audio book CD Player for aging technophobe 5 51 Oct 31, 2011 12:55PM
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Rasmus and the Vagabond
  • Children of the Forest
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Nutshell Library
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.” 7635 likes
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” 7542 likes