Start by marking “Zebras In London” as Want to Read:
Zebras In London

Zebras In London

As a rebellious teenager, Yvonne Grayling burnt her grandmother Lana’s house to the ground. Five years later, and still wracked with guilt, Yvonne goes to London to replace the only irreplaceable item lost in the fire: a rubbing of a brass gravestone given to Lana during World War II by her first love.

In "Zebras In London," Yvonne’s quest to make things right evolves into
Published November 13th 2013 (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Zebras In London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zebras In London

Nicole Overmoyer
Mar 16, 2014 Nicole Overmoyer rated it really liked it
I put Alison Archer’s Zebras in London on my Kindle for three reasons. First, that I needed something on my e-reader to amuse me when I faced a long time sitting around and waiting. Second, because I am an admittedly proud Anglophile and the word London caught my eye. And third, because I’m cheap about e-books and this one was a free download on Amazon. None of these reasons sound like ringing endorsements to start a book review with, I know. I’m getting to the ringing endorsement of this book. ...more
Anita
Sep 01, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Yvonne is a confused American who feels very much an outsider in London, so much so, Yvonne's search for a specific brass rubbing resulted in her drifted from one location to another – a bit like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz with the loose ends gathering nicely and no end in sight.

Yvonne is a ‘fixer’ and wants to glue together the messy ends of the lives she encounters, a nice intention but isn’t the road to you-know-where paved with them? One of these is her disarmingly glamorous grandmother, ab
IndieHeart
Aug 10, 2016 IndieHeart rated it really liked it
There are so many things to recommend this novel--well-crafted, often quirky characters, excellent use of both city and rural England settings, and a plot that has just enough twists around the central theme to tie it all together. Unfortunately my copy, at least (which I received for free in exchange for my honest review and may not be the same one you would download when purchasing), had a few too many editing errors with left-out words and what seemed to me to be at least a paragraph of text. ...more
Carly
Feb 09, 2014 Carly rated it really liked it
The book has lots of interesting characters from the upper classes to the bar/homosexual prostitute scene in London. I really loved the characters of Harley/Nicole and the main character's grandmother. In this book, the main character has a lot of guilt about starting a fire a long time ago that causes her to stick her nose into helping everyone she meets who has a problem. By helping, she makes some things worse and some things better. Sort of like real life! Like other reviewers have said, I ...more
Holly
Apr 04, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Different and funny

Different and funny

Different! There were numerous storylines colliding, yet uniquely intertwined. Controversial topics were introduced such as same sex relations, prostitution, and affairs. Some parts of the story, I still don't think I connect, especially the ending. Nonetheless, it all kept my interest. Should recommend the author read van through the pages as there are several typos such as what for that and some other randomness that takes away from the emotion and story.
E.D. Martin
Feb 05, 2014 E.D. Martin rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A fun yet poignant story. Each time I thought I had the plot figured out, a new twist or character was added. There was enough absurdity (a zebra-loving lesbian prostitute?) to keep the story light while covering serious issues. Everything was woven together, with no loose ends. Overall I enjoyed this book and will be on the lookout for more by the author.
Alisa
Feb 27, 2014 Alisa rated it did not like it
I'm not sure I read the same book as the other reviewers. This novel didn't have a single redeeming quality. The plot was spotty, shoddy, and absurd... and not in an Ionesco or Douglas Adams kind of way. The writing quality was poor. Don't waste your time. I plodded on through to the end, but shouldn't have; it wasn't worth it.
Brittany
May 31, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, free
Decent, interesting plot premise tying together several families and generations, but the jumping between narrators seemed jarring most places, and the descriptions of wartime two-dimensional and drab. I loved Harley and Yvonne's interactions and personalities, but the "tie-everything-up-neatly-at-the-end-because-God-causes-it-all" really bothered me.
Theresa Walton
Mar 02, 2014 Theresa Walton rated it really liked it
Interesting

well written. Looks at more than just the reunited lovers, acknowledges choices that are made and consequences of changing relationships.
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison marked it as to-read
kindle 247
Celia
Celia rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2014
Charlotte Burns
Charlotte Burns rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2015
Carlene Hastings
Carlene Hastings rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jill Nojack
Jill Nojack rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Jana Hamilton
Jana Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2016
Mickey Obermire
Mickey Obermire rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Lisa Kirkland
Lisa Kirkland rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2014
Rosina
Rosina rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Machell
Machell rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
lori
lori rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Joni
Joni rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Heather Hammerstrom
Heather Hammerstrom rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Martha Widlus
Martha Widlus rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014