Start by marking “Jewels” as Want to Read:
Jewels

Jewels

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  9,234 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
On Sarah Whitfield's seventy-fifth birthday, memories take her back to New York in the 1930s. To a marriage that ends after a year, leaving Sarah shattered. A trip to Europe with her parents does little to raise her spirits, until she meets William, Duke of Whitfield. In time, despite her qualms, William insists on giving up his distant right to the British throne to make ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Jewels, please sign up.

Miad It seems that it has been translated to Persian look at the comment section.

Lasiciliana
i know that DS has some cheesy books but this was one that I really liked. It's a well written story that kept my interest and spanded such a long period of time with so many happenings.

easy, simple read.
Rhia Frio
Oct 22, 2007 Rhia Frio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of romantic stories and of life struggling stories
jewels is a story of a woman, of an elite family, of life struggle, and finding love amidst it all. a good read! and while you're at it, read all the other books of danielle steele too! she has a lot of great books written...the promise, fine things, full circle, crossings, wanderlust, secrets, changes, thurston house, summer's end, remembrance, to love again, passion's promise, and many more!
emily
Sep 10, 2007 emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read anything this trashy since my elementary school days of reading V.C. Andrews. In retrospect, it has always seemed somewhat strange that I was reading books about incest and throbbing members at such a young age. Now I completely understand. These types of books seem to be written for readers who like to buy their books at the supermarket aka those who have the reading capability of ten-year-olds. And that's cool. This was perfect house-boating entertainment.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jewels, Danielle Steel
عنوان: عشق و جواهر؛ نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ مترجم: گلرخ مهبد؛ تهران، نشر فاخته، 1372، در 552 ص؛
عنوان: عشق و جواهر؛ نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ مترجم: گلرخ مهبد؛ تهران، نشر جانان، 1376، در 552 ص، شابک: 9649144153؛

عنوان: جواهر؛ نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ مترجم: هادی عادلپور؛ تهران، رفعت، 1378، در 485 ص، شابک: 9649076387؛
Shonali
Nov 11, 2009 Shonali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short take on the book:

I know many people have stopped reading her books as the storyline has become quite repetitive but I chose this book as it somewhat different from what she has been writing recently.Also because this book got me started on reading trail of nearly 60 Danielle Steel books which take up a place of pride on my book shelf. Who doesn’t like romances and when you need so light, refreshing read , these books are the best medicine.

You will love Sarah Whitfield for her innocence ini
Jamie
Nov 04, 2012 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel is an author I never thought I would read again, but recently that changed and here’s why.

Back in the day I read a couple of Danielle Steel’s books. And if we’re honest, after the second one I thought, same ol, same ol in each book. I think she’s a great writer (the sheer number of books written and best sellers can attest that she can captivate a reader), but I lost interest rather quickly, mainly because it simply isn’t my preference of story. Fast forward several years and on m
Dlora
Perhaps other readers who like contemporary romance fiction that follows the life of one woman from birth to death would give this story a higher rating. It's a story of love and loss, title and privilege, glittering jewelry and decorator clothes. Sarah Thompson, the daughter of a rich American businessman, makes a bad marriage as a young girl. To her deep embarrassment, her father helps her get a divorce and then takes her on a tour of Europe to break her out of her self-imposed social ostracis ...more
Nick Stewart
Aug 20, 2016 Nick Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's inevitable. At some point (usually the end) someone in a Danielle Steel novel will Find The Courage To Love Again. In 'Jewels', however, Steel's heroine finds it in the first 50 pages, which leaves room for a few narrative surprises; a rarity in Steel's work. This sustains the novel for hundreds of pages, but you can almost sense the point when Steel loses interest in her story. And, it's unfortunate that it happens when the saga shifts to the second generation and the heroine's libidinous, ...more
Reyna
Apr 03, 2008 Reyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Reyna by: English 92 Teacher
This story will drag you into it in the first few pages. Danielle steel really knows how to grab your attention.I recommend this story for everyone who enjoys novels.
Denise
Jun 27, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely LOVE this book. I love books that span the various era's and this one nailed it for me. I've read and re-read this book many times over.
Lori
Feb 27, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Danielle Steel books. Deals with WWII and a strong love between this couple. Good romance.
Christine Powell
One of the best book I have read to-date, full of romance and adventure.
Absolutely lovely.... :) Jewels by Danielle Steel
Liebes Buch
Ich habe die Verfilmung angeschaut:

Danielle Steel ist eine Autorin, die man nur bewundern kann.Obwohl ihr Debut-Roman gleich ein grosser Erfolg war, musste sie sich später nach einem Flop wieder zurück ins Geschäft kämpfen. Ihr Buch "Juwelen" war ein New York Times- Nr. 1-Bestseller. Ich habe die Verfilmung gesehen:
Die Amerikanerin Sarah Thompson reist nach einer skandalösen Scheidung von einem Alkoholiker nach Europa, um Gras über die Sache wachsen zu lassen. Dort lernt sie den Herzog von Whitf
Mimi
I liked this book just as much as I did years ago. The pace of the story-teling in the last quarter of the book still bugs me, however. It feels rushed.
You could look at the change of pace as a metaphor for how Sarah looses touch with her children, while still being part of their lives (that's just what happens when kids become adults) --- And I know this probably sounds presumptious considered the genre in which this book falls.
Nevertheless, I still feel it could have done with an extra 100-is
Aղցela W.
This was one of my favorite Danielle Steel books. Sarah Whitfield's when on a trip to Europe with her parents after her first divorce. Once in Europe she met William, Duke of Whitfield. While on the honeymoon war breaks out and he is off to serve his country while she is stuck pregnant in France. This was a really good book that I read along time ago. I didn't like her oldest son he was cold and showed no emotions. Sarah and William had five kids after he came home from the ward she begin buying ...more
LK Hunsaker
Apr 09, 2011 LK Hunsaker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I stopped two-thirds of the way through this one, my first Danielle Steele. I picked it up because I've often been asked if my books were similar. No, they aren't, other than they're both within the wide romance genre. During the first half, I enjoyed the characters enough to keep going through the shifting POV and repetition, where I often skimmed. By now, I've lost interest. It's too much overview, not enough depth, and the characters are losing what charm they did have. Maybe this isn't the o ...more
Amy
Nov 19, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secret-shame
One of my all-time Danielle Steel favourites, which is why I've actually bought it on Kindle instead of just borrowing them from the library like I normally do.

Girl meets bad boy. Bad boy hurts girl. Girl meets love of her life, crazy, crazy love. Enter war. War separates them- and that's just the beginning.

So many of Danielle Steel's books just run into each other, barely different, but then once in a while you meet characters that stick in your mind for a long time- this book is that for me.
Megan
Dec 12, 2009 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good story to begin with and then turned to absolute rubbish. I ended up not even finishing it because it was way too crude and depressing. If families really have a chance of turning out like this... I think I will stop now with children. I don't plan on ever reading Danielle Steel again.
Nov 14, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a sucker for her romance novels. This one so far is my favorite.
Cody
Aug 29, 2008 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jerry Springer-types
If the Royalty of England were on the Jerry Springer Show it would look something like this book. And to think that my Nanny recommended this book to me!
Shannon
Probably my favorite book, I've read it over and over. If you like books that cover a span of many years, I would recommend this one.
Zoekezoef
Ook weer een mooi boek waar een miniserie van gemaakt is later.
Abigail
Feb 18, 2009 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of Danielle Steel. I love a good saga.
Kelly Rafteseth
Not what I expected.
Laura Beth
Love rereading this book.
Seadaz
Mar 26, 2017 Seadaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this old Danielle Steel novel - I do feel that her earlier books are so much better than her current quickly thougt of books, she pumps out so many now that they really have lost some of the specialness of the earlier ones.

The end of this was rushed, but I enjoyed the story, couldn't understand why she brought back the German guymfor one or two pages - absolutely nothing happened and it was just a waste.

The older son was a pig, Julian was lovely but his wife, later Phillip's wife was a r
Lamia Damayanti
Jul 22, 2015 Lamia Damayanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Thompson, seorang gadis bangsawan harus menerima kenyataan pahit bahwa suaminya, Freddie Van Deering tidak mencintainya. Ia menikah di usia yang muda bersama Freddie. Saat itu, jarak usia mereka hanya terpaut dua tahun, Sarah berusia 21 tahun, sedangkan Freddie 23 tahun. Awalnya pernikahan mereka tampak baik-baik saja dan Sarah merasa bahagia. Dalam penglihatannya, Freddie adalah sosok yang mengagumkan dan berwibawa. Namun, semua hal itu tak berlangsung lama. Freddie rupanya bukan laki-lak ...more
Dawn Barber
May 25, 2017 Dawn Barber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a_paperback
great book, movie was good as well :)
sweetaalis
May 08, 2017 sweetaalis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Friday
Mar 23, 2017 Jessica Friday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one of my favorites by Danielle Steel. Love the story line. Plus, what girl doesn't love a good romance novel AND jewels?!?!

Danielle Steel is a genius at historical romance novels. I love how thoroughly she researches the historical aspects of her novels and brilliantly incorporates them into her fiction.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Jewels 1 4 Nov 20, 2012 03:27AM
  • Till We Meet Again
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge (Lucky Santangelo, #4)
  • Vegas Sunrise (Vegas, #3)
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Escort
  • Remember
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Archangel Michael Oracle Cards: A 44-Card Deck and Guidebook
  • Keeping Christmas
  • Stands A Calder Man (Calder Saga #2)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...