Start by marking “The Practice of English Language Teaching” as Want to Read:
The Practice of English Language Teaching

The Practice of English Language Teaching (Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  445 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In this new edition there is a new chapter on teaching vocabulary, a section on discovery techniques, more on task-based learning and learner training, and a recognition of the change of perception about what communicative competence might be. Many of the categories of communicative activities have been rearranged and there is a more detailed account of teacher roles, toge ...more
Published November 1st 1991 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published October 1983)

La Mala  ✌
He aquí la BIBLIA para todos nosotros, meros mortales que osamos enseñar english as a foreign language. Acá está todo lo necesario, bien explicado y detallado, en forma llevadera y no demasiado agobiante.

Linda
Jul 29, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although very thorough,THE PRACTICE OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING is more difficult than the other introduction to English as a second-language teaching guides. It is laden with theory, written in small print, and has an exceptionally dull presentation style. Think of the droning of the worst professor you ever had and it will give you an accurate feel for this book. I was excited about the accompanying CD, but the teaching examples on it were also not very inspiring. If, however, you are interes ...more
Majkielm
Jun 21, 2012 Majkielm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book clearly and in simple words presents how to teach English in every classroom. It is good guide to teaching English. In comparison to H.D. Brown's books it is light lecture and readable.
E
Jun 09, 2011 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about a coursebook I had to read, tear apart and rearrange into dry essays on teaching theory?

Useful, but not fun.
William
May 25, 2011 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm learning how to teach!
Maja Jeppesen
This is a good book to read if you are studying to become an English teacher where English is the secondary language for the students though it can be a little difficult to finish. As a learning material book, the theories are plenty and at times 'heavy' to read about, though if that surprises you it may be a good time to ask yourself why you want to be a teacher. If I could complain about one thing though, it is the fact that the author himself is not good at listing exactly where he gets his t ...more
Shendy
Jun 03, 2014 Shendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

In this book, Jeremy Harmer describes the practice of English language teaching and concerns about context-sensitive teaching found at the present time. In the first page of this book is present about Introduction and acknowledgment section clearly. He wrote this book because he wanted to add more information and explanation about the practice of English language teaching as a response of comments and suggestions by some experts what he could have done in his previous edition. Besides, he includ
James Perkins
Oct 23, 2011 James Perkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Appallingly dull, repetitive writing combined with common-sense teaching advice did not endear me to this book. It was a struggle to wade through and did not reveal anything new. Possibly good for somebody who is new to teaching and can stay awake with the unimpressive, faux-academic prose. One hopes the next edition will liven up the text a bit and engage the reader rather than lecturing blandly.
Arwa M
May 27, 2014 Arwa M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to study this book during a university class. I didn't find it quite useful; there's barely anything about it that you could apply to your lessons.
Phoenix
Dec 05, 2015 Phoenix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hated reading this; it was boring as fuck. It very literally put me to sleep. Still manages to be a fantastic resource.
Danilo
May 14, 2013 Danilo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read for all teachers, especially novice teachers.
Iris
Dec 02, 2013 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing way of summarizing almost everything I needed to know for my big test.
Nguyen Hoa
I want to download the book, is it OK?
I Gusti
it is useful for my thesis
Roberta
Nov 02, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it
Somewhat old but excellent guide to teaching for both new and experienced teachers in need of a refresher. It also involves exercises that can be used and adapted for contemporary students.
Rafael
Feb 20, 2016 Rafael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language teachers
Best book over language teaching ever read. A comprehensive and detailed guide for every language teacher.
NINING SUDARWITA
May 07, 2015 NINING SUDARWITA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pau Rmz
Aug 18, 2015 Pau Rmz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Learn about the teaching language
Angie Ocaña Quinteros
this is a good book
Aygun
I am a teacher
Amelia
I want to red
Syamna
May 24, 2015 Syamna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Muhammad Afif
Feb 01, 2015 Muhammad Afif marked it as to-read
splendid
Xatia Xachidze
kljlkj
Muhamad Yunanto
Sep 24, 2014 Muhamad Yunanto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great
Ezra Ahmad
May 08, 2014 Ezra Ahmad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
good
Umud
I think it is very Interesting
Rea
Studied in 2009.
I'd already done some TEFL prior to studying this book in 3rd year of uni. I'm not sure how much it built on what I'd already been using as my common sense (might have helped that by this time I'd studied three other foreign languages,so I had a good base to fall back on).
In fact, I think they often provided us with photocopies from other books to better detail what was given as a basis in this one.
Selina
Nov 07, 2014 Selina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Textbook!
Bit dry.
Comes with teaching demo DVD, which I found interesting.
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • English as a Global Language
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Teaching English As A Foreign Language (Teach Yourself English As A Foreign Language S.)
  • The Short Oxford History Of English Literature

Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Communication in the Classroom: Applications and Methods for a Communicative Approach
  • Drama in Language Teaching
  • A Framework for Tasked Based Learning
  • An Introduction to English Language Teaching
  • The Language Laboratory and Language Learning
  • Process Writing (Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers) (ELT)
  • Role Play in Language Learning
  • Second Selections from 'Modern English Teacher'
  • Selections from 'Modern English Teacher'
  • Teaching English Pronunciation