Start by marking “Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga, #3)

Dark Tide (Waterfire Saga #3)

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  2,122 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Once a lost and confused princess, Serafina is now a confident leader of the Black Fin Resistance (BFR). While she works on sabotaging her enemy and enlisting allies for battle, her friends face challenges of their own. Ling is in the hold of Rafe Mfeme's giant trawler, on her way to a prison camp. Becca meets up with Astrid and learns why the Ondalinian mermaid is always ...more
Published October 13th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tide, please sign up.

Kristen Do you mean the third or fourth book? Because this is the third book. We still don't know the name of the fourth book! Info on the third book is in…moreDo you mean the third or fourth book? Because this is the third book. We still don't know the name of the fourth book! Info on the third book is in the description, the fourth book I have no absolute idea.(less)
The Sword of Summer by Rick RiordanThe Rose Society by Marie LuIce Like Fire by Sara RaaschCarry On by Rainbow RowellIlluminae by Amie Kaufman
October 2015 Releases
16th out of 51 books — 192 voters
The Heir by Kiera CassShades of Doon by Carey CorpFive Enchanted Roses by Anne Elisabeth StenglWinter by Marissa MeyerTen Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray
Most Beautiful YA Covers 2015
29th out of 100 books — 201 voters

More lists with this book...

Alyssa

Book Three of the Waterfire Saga
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: October 13, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Review copy sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Fafa's Book Corner
Apr 30, 2016 Fafa's Book Corner rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

This book series was recommended to me by my dear GR friend Alyssa ! Click on her name to read her review.

After finishing Rogue Wave I needed to read Dark Tide! That ending was very cruel. I have no idea how people managed to wait until October 2015 to read this book. I am happy to say that I enjoyed this!

The book begins with a prologue in Astrid's point of view. Astrid is on her way home. It's been quite the journey and she's nearly
Isabella Marie
Oct 13, 2015 Isabella Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Dark Tide is the 3rd book in the Deep Blue Series.
Again, Jennifer Donnelly has failed to disappoint us.
This book has some good adventures that was a great read. It kept you the edge of your seat & kept you wanting more.
In this book, everything finally starts to come together & they make sense of things.
Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was that you were able to read about different characters adventures.
Unlike the first book, Dark Tide swaps characters POV. This makes it mo
Cherry (_forevermint)
Mar 31, 2016 Cherry (_forevermint) rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, mermaids
I am so impressed! (I know I said that for my review of the last book as well, but really wow, each installment just blows me away!) Sera is fiercer, the plot is more complex, there's more romance, the friendships and bonds are stronger, the stakes are higher, the list goes on. (: will definitely be continuing this series.
Bri
Feb 14, 2015 Bri marked it as to-read
In the ARC of Rouge Wave it says that this book is called Dark Tide and the fourth book is Fair Winds. I can't wait until this comes out!!!!!!
Juliet-Camille
My biggest complaint with this series has to do with the story construction: there are too many characters, and the world is really overwhelming - I'm three books in and I still haven't truly connected with anything.

(view spoiler)
Rachel Lightwood
A lot of people think that I am a little obsessives crazy when it comes to my mantra for finishing series no matter what. Most people give up on a series if they don't like it. Me? I power through. I don't care how tortuous the experience is, I need to know how it ends. And while this normally leads to long hours of tedious reading experiences, sequels like Dark Tide are why I keep doing it.

If I am being honestly (and I always am), I wasn't really a fan of either Deep Blue or Rogue Wave. The fir
skye
Apr 30, 2016 skye rated it really liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this book and maybe would've even given it a 5-star-rating if I hadn't taken such long breaks from reading this! I would start reading it one day, and than put it down to just pick it up 5 days later! I'm the kind of person that forgets many of the little things and details very very quickly and I fear that I may forget the whole plot by the time the forth book in the series gets published! Anyways, I loved how much the characters developed from the first book! ...more
Shelley
Mar 10, 2015 Shelley marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-release
Expected publication: October 13th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion
Camden Christensen
Sep 20, 2016 Camden Christensen rated it it was amazing
These books just keep getting better and better!!! I love how much is going on with all of the different characters! I also loved how it told the story's of the other characters in the book, and also how they have all grown so much to this point! I cannot wait to start Sea Spell!!!
nat
Jan 10, 2016 nat rated it it was ok
2.5

I enjoy reading these books. they're fun, kind of cheesy and just a good light reading. but for some reason I didn't find myself too invested in this book. it might've been the multiple POV's (I only care about Serafina and Astrid). I will say that the last few chapters were great, and I really like all this mythology background. I will continue with the series because I'm curious.

Lauren
May 09, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
It was my favorite one out of the other two in the series. It didn't actually take me that long to read it. I was busy reading other books. One thing I didn't like was that there was more bad language in this book than others. I still can't wait for the fourth and hopefully final book to come out.
Delaney
This book was really good. I can't wait for the final book.
Alex Clover
Mar 03, 2016 Alex Clover rated it it was ok
Review can also be seen on my blog: http://ageekwithbooks.blogspot.com

FINAL THOUGHTS:
1. Life or death situations, but mostly hot guys.
2. So man dumb romances I actually noticed the lack of gay characters.
3. FINALLY IT'S OVER.

Things I liked:
I actually really like Jennifer Donnelly's writing, so much so that I might actually continue reading her books even if this series doesn't go too well. And the mermaid puns continue...(see things I didn't like)

I like the world. Well...that doesn't actually ta
Courtney
Oct 11, 2016 Courtney rated it it was ok
To add to the other pet peeves about this series:

We have mermaids who are royal and we have mermaids who are average or poor citizens. Why is it that the royal mermaids manage to get the royal mermen? Why couldn't one of the everyday girls hooked a royal merman, made a true fairy tale out of it? It's very elitist.

Stephanie {Wishing Upon a Book}
This review was originally posted on Wishing Upon a Book
Welp, Dark Tide was a fun, nice and easy read and I enjoyed myself. Besides that I doubt there's much more I can add. But I'll try my best.

The story starts with Sera and how she and her Blackfins cook up an insane plan to rob the treasury of Miromara, right under her uncle's (and Lucia's) nose. I must admit I really enjoyed their planning and execution of the plan, along with the bumps they came across along the way. Not to mention how th
Roubeeni Mohan (bookish_mermaid91)
I just finished reading Dark Tide. Among the things that i loved about the series apart from the MERMAIDS, I really liked that the chapters were short.

The third book to the Waterfire Saga is really mindblowing. It's good to see Astrid back again and also more of the other mermaids. I know Lucia was characterless but I did not expect her to stoop to the point of sacrificing her best friend's life! The one thing that I really love about this series is that, it shows us the value of friendship, lov
DeTerrius Woods
Dec 21, 2015 DeTerrius Woods rated it it was amazing
The Tide Is High (4.5 stars)

I'm still amazed at how intrigued I am with this series. Once again, Jennifer Donnelly doesn't disappoint with the third installment. In this book, we finally learned a lot about Astrid, Ling, and Becca. The character development for those characters, especially Astrid, was phenomenal. I went from hating her in the first book to understanding and liking her in this one. Her story was sad, but I felt like Ling had it worse than any of the characters. There were non-sto
Haven
Jun 05, 2016 Haven rated it it was amazing
This book was better than the first one, and second one. I don't know how Jennifer Donnelly does it but she really knows how to amp a sequel. In this story Sera is leader of the Black Fins, a resistant group trying to fight for their kingdoms. There are death riders everywhere looking for Serafina, Ava, Neela, Beeca, Astrid, and Ling. They won't stop until all the mermaids are captured and their talismans confiscated by Orfeo. The water realms are even more dangerous than before.
It was nice to
Stacey
Aug 28, 2016 Stacey rated it it was amazing
WOW. I think this is my favorite book in this series so far.
I absolutely ADORED venturing away from the Seraphina/Neela point of views and exploring other mer people's minds, and their adventures (especially Ling and Astrid's, in my opinion) were just so good and entertaining.
I don't remember if they had much of their POV's throughout the other two books cause it's been a while but, again, it was certainly refreshing.
The only downside for me was the love aspect. As much as I ship the ships tha
Michelle
Mar 07, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
I enjoyed this third book in the series fine but I'll admit some of the corniness is starting to wear on me. The all-too convenient romances are tiresome, this is supposed to be a girl power series and yet everyone is conveniently pairing off with the first single dude they spend more than a day with. *eye roll*. The story is also really starting to drag - likely due to these unnecessary romances. Let's get back to the action and ass kicking, merladies!
Maria V
Oct 29, 2016 Maria V rated it it was amazing
So, so epic! Glad truths are finally really coming out. So saw something happening between Astrid and Desiderio as well as Becca and Marco. Lucia is truly showing how really EVIL she is. Can't stand her, she even sacrificed her own loyal friend out of greed. She crazy. Really loving Astrid, Becca and Sera. I am pretty sure that those 3 are my favorite merls. Can't wait for the next, yet sadly last book of the series. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Mariah
Apr 27, 2016 Mariah rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one the most. This is where you start to see everything come together. This book is when you finally know who all the characters are and you learn their back stories and you actually become attached to them. You get to see quite a bit more character development in this book, which I really loved. Astrid and Ling are the two I love to read about here.
This is basically the "meat" of the saga and I'm excited to see how Donnelly wraps this all up.
Katie
Mar 15, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoutites
Wow. The third book in most series are let downs such as mocking jay, third in the hunger games series. But here is an exception. Dark Tide carries on this wonderful story of six mermaids(Serafina, Neela, Becca, Ling, Ava and Astrid.) who embark on a dangerous journey to find 6 talismans that belonged to the mermaids ancestors, the six mages. This story keeps you up at night, under your duvet with your torch.
Bonnie
Dec 18, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
What started as a slightly cheesy mermaid romance has blossomed into a badass series about the power and joy of female friendship. This book is even better than the first two. Donnelly hits all of the right notes in Dark Tide, including ethnically diverse and disabled characters, and passing the Bechdel Test. Here's hoping Book 4 ends the series on a strong note.
Ellis
Ik was echt helemaal uit het verhaal, dus ik had echt moeite de personages weer op te halen. Dit derde deel heeft meer serieuze onderwerpen van zijn voorgangers, maar dat luchtige miste ik een beetje eigenlijk. Op naar de grote ontknoping.
kathalovesbooks
Sep 04, 2016 kathalovesbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
3.5*

Well I think this book was really good, just a bit weaker than the other 2 books ;)
I am really curious how everything goes down and I hope therell be a few more obstacles for the mermaids ;)
Either way: cant wait to get my hands on the 4th one <3
Hannah
Nov 30, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Eek! It's a good book! I know that we love the adventure and suspense, but sometimes we just want a heart-wrenching love story. And that's exactly what you'll be getting more of in this book. Countless emotions will swirl inside your heart but it will definitely be worth it.
Rosanna-Michelle
Dec 23, 2015 Rosanna-Michelle rated it it was amazing
Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two, but Dark Tide is the best yet. Traveling with these mermaids as the grow into themselves is a marvelous journey.
Around the Year i...: Dark Tide, by Jennifer Donnelly 1 11 Oct 24, 2016 09:42AM
Lucia is angry at Serifina 1 4 Jan 10, 2016 09:41AM
Free Book Giveaway: "Dark Tide" Prize Pack Giveaway 1 8 Oct 13, 2015 09:16AM
Free Books, .99 &...: "Dark Tide" Prize Pack Giveaway 1 6 Oct 13, 2015 09:15AM
Advanced Copies f...: "Dark Tide" Prize Pack Giveaway 1 12 Oct 13, 2015 09:14AM
Book Giveaways: "Dark Tide" Prize Pack Giveaway 1 6 Oct 13, 2015 09:14AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 May 26, 2015 01:53PM
  • The Goddess's Choice
  • 2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, #1)
  • Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Keeper, part 1 (Hidden Bloodlines #1)
  • The Song and the Sorceress
  • Rebel Spirits
  • Color Bleach+: The Bleach Official Bootleg
  • Web of Darkness
  • Tether (Many-Worlds, #2)
  • Avery (The Chronicles of Kaya #1)
  • Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)
  • Neverwas  (Amber House, #2)
  • Magic Unbound (Fae Unbound Teen Young Adult Fantasy Series, #1)
  • Mrs. Beast: A Novel
  • A Story of River
  • Curse of the Ice Dragon (Keepers of the Stones, #1)
  • The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)
  • Pretty in Pearls (Fins, #3.1)
Jennifer Donnelly is the author of ten novels - These Shallow Graves, Sea Spell, Dark Tide, Rogue Wave, Deep Blue, Revolution, A Northern Light, The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and The Wild Rose - and Humble Pie, a picture book for children. She grew up in New York State, in Lewis and Westchester counties, and attended the University of Rochester where she majored in English Literature and European ...more
More about Jennifer Donnelly...

Waterfire Saga (4 books)
  • Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, #1)
  • Rogue Wave (Waterfire Saga, #2)
  • Sea Spell (Waterfire Saga, #4)

“Lots of things are impossible,” she said softly. “Until they’re not.” 7 likes
“good warrior knows when to lose a battle so she can live to fight the war.” 5 likes