Start by marking “Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)

Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles #7)

Book seven of The Gaslight Chronicles

When airship engineer Melody McKay's dirigible explodes and plunges her into the yard of a gothic manor, she suspects foul play. With her ankle injured--an indignity far too feminine for her taste--she resolves to crack the mystery while in the care of Victor Arrington, the stuffy-yet-disarming Earl of Blackwell.

Ex-Royal Navy Captain Vi
Published (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons & Dirigibles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons & Dirigibles

Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

I like the Gaslight Chronicles series a lot, but I have to say that this isn't the strongest in the bunch. If you want the world building you get in a fabulous Steampunk, unfortunately you'll have to read in order. However, the romance works well as a stand-alone. So if you don't mind missing the world building, you'll be fine, i.e. won't be confused or anything.

In this (long) novella, we see Melody crash and burn on a test run of her latest dirigible. But
Beth
May 19, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it

Dragons & Dirigibles starts out as quite a cute story with a single man, taking care of his young niece trying to find his way when Melody McKay crash lands on Ex-Navy Captain Victor Arrinton's front lawn. With a broken ankle, Victor swipes Melody into his home which starts the journey of bringing her into his heart.

Every character in this story has spunk but add in an adorable niece, loyal and devoted dog and not to deny mentioning the sassy Melody herself you can't help but immediatel
Kelly
May 10, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book and I enjoyed the prickly romance between Melody and Victor, but it was a single line by one of the background characters that absolutely broke my heart this time around. *gives everyone a sad panda face* One line. Well played, Cindy Spencer Pape. Well played.

But let's get back to the couple whose book this is, shall we? Melody and Victor. She's opinionated and knows her way around mechanicals. He's convinced he wants a nice, demure lady for his wife. Yeah, he pr
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jan 01, 2015 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it it was ok
Captain Victor Arrignton is forced to return to land, when his brother and sister in-law are killed in an accident. As the second son, Victor never expected to become the Earl but with a firm sense of duty, Victor attempts to establish a life at Black Heath and raise his niece Emma. Victor struggles with his new role, particularly trying to raise Emma to be a proper lady. as she seems for more interested in mathematics and science. than learning the traditional womanly skills of stitching, ...more
Amber
Aug 21, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
this is a lot closer to what I've been wanting from this series. some mystery, a third act villain reveal, and feistiness. The end of it had me very meh about reading the next book, so I think I'll leave the series on a high note (at least for now). The romance is as ridiculously fast as the rest of the series, but I forgive it lol.
Okay for Aayesha.
Delta
Jan 21, 2016 Delta rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is my first venture into the Gaslight Chronicles, so I'm not sure how this story fits into the series. I was expecting a bit of an action story, but it mostly revolved around romance. Not that it's a bad thing, but I guess I was hoping for more.
Marlene
Jun 01, 2014 Marlene rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

I’ve enjoyed the entire Gaslight Chronicles series, but it feels like the pinnacle of the series was Moonlight & Mechanicals. The plot was dastardly and far-reaching, and the hero and heroine were both up to the challenge. And the love story really sang.

Dragons & Dirigibles is fun, but doesn’t work quite as well, and I’m still trying to figure out why.

The plot definitely puts it into the middle of the long-running story of how the Knights of the Rou
Jaclyn
Dragons & Dirigibles is the seventh in Cindy Spencer Pape’s Gaslight Chronicles , a series that has hooked me from book one. I was hoping the book seven would return to the family that started it all; however, this one focused on Melody McKay, sister to Connor of book five, Cards & Caravans .

Melody McKay crash-lands her airship on the Earl of Blackwell’s estate. A gothic and desolate place plagued by smugglers. Even more disturbing to Melody is the Earl himself, ex-Royal Navy Captain V
eyes.2c
Gaslight Chronicles continues to thrill.

The stories surrounding the marvellously rich group of people we know from the Gaslight Chronicles continue to be mined.
Melody McKay an airship engineer, pilot and member of the Order of the Round Table, is testing her dirigible's new engine design over the Devonshire coast when either the boiler or generator inexplicably explodes. She crashes into the parklands in front of Black Heath Manor. Fortunately the damage to her is minor, bruises and a sprained a
Melissa
Jul 13, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
To start off, I want to say that I really love this series. Cindy Spencer Pape has created a great steam punk world, crazy machines, supernatural elements and romance! If you have not tried this series, I would.
That said, I would not start with this one. The heroine was great as most of her female characters are. Pape’s females are strong and opinionated and extremely capable. Melody is a dirigible captain and knows who she is and is proud of it. However, I was truly annoyed at the hero. He sp
Dharia Scarab
Mar 17, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoy this series and love how the author brings in characters from the other books so too get updates on how they are doing.

My only criticism is after the angst between Nell and Tom, I didn't like the bombshell about what was really keeping them apart, especially since this book wasn't about them and now we have to wait months to see if their plot line will be resolved in the next book

Since I don't normally write reviews unless I have something specific to say, here's the break down of how I
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Like the previous book in the Gaslight Chronicles, Dragon’s & Dirigibles is novella length. Also like the previous books it packs a lot in it’s 48,000 words and is a great addition to the series.

This time it is Melody McKay’s story. Melody is an engineer and a very modern woman. When her airship explodes she meet Victor Arrington, the Earl of Blackwell. From the beginning Victor’s old-fashion ideas and Melody’s modern way of life cause a clash. There is a problem at Victor’s estate. Smuggler
Melindeeloo
Apr 26, 2014 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 star = I liked it. I really enjoy Pape's Gaslight Chronicles, Dragons & Dirigibles had another great set up: Airship pilot and inventor Melody McKay crash lands her airship on the lawn of former Naval Captain (now Earl) Victor's front lawn and into the troubles his town is facing with smugglers. The potential roadblock to their HEA is a good one too, he's trying to raise his orphaned niece to be a proper lady and Melody is a lady but an unconventional one.

Pape always has enough going on
Sobia
May 24, 2014 Sobia rated it liked it
A fun read all around, though I have to admit to being excited for the next book, especially if the next book's Tom's and/or Nell's :)

Having said that, this IMO lacked a bit of depth, as the H and h, Victor and Melody's transitions from being' you're all wrong for me' to 'your the only one for me', a a bit too sudden for me....one sec they're opposed to each other as a mate, the next their perfect for each other?! I think a more gradual getting together would have been more believable.

Also on a
Heather McCorkle
Jun 15, 2014 Heather McCorkle rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This book started out strong and very interesting. It's an interesting alternate Europe that mixes supernatural and steampunk. I found myself cheering for Melody and warming up to Victor despite some of his old-fashioned (then in fashion) ways and beliefs. I knew this was a novella getting into it and that didn't bother me. But, I found that I liked the characters and the story so much so that I wanted more of it, and not just more of the series, but more of this novel. With a few thi
PointyEars42
A fun read, as are all the books in the series. This one is, however, too short and too fast paced resulting in the characters and plot feel very underdeveloped - something that I didn't feel when reading the little novellas in the series. The focus on tech and the near total absence of magic/the paranormal makes this feel like a clone of a Meljean Brooks "Iron Seas" novel rather than the mix I've come to expect from this series. Still fun though, but not as good as the rest of the Gaslight ...more
Voirrey
Mar 19, 2015 Voirrey rated it really liked it
I think perhaps the writer read some of the comments of those who had read her earlier books, for this one had a more fully developed plot - hurrah!

And, of course, after that announcement by Tom in the last couple of pages I am agog waiting for the next one which, hopefully, comes out this year.

A small comment on the cover art - which I know the author is in no way responsible for - but I'm pretty sure the dragon ship and the airship were not the same thing :)
Trea
I wasn't that impressed with this installment. It felt rushed, disjointed, and there was hardly any actual romance between Victor and Melody. It seemed like it was a set up for Tom and Nell's book, but the interaction between Tom and Nell was minimal at best. All in all, I didn't enjoy it overmuch.
Deena
Good, but not great. Rather predictable, which I didn't necessarily find to be the case with the other titles. Victor was a toad - rather a change from the heroes in the other titles. I'm still glad I read it, but I think I was hoping for a bit more.
Anton
Jun 20, 2014 Anton rated it really liked it
So, yes, it was a fun read, that is if you want your steampunk mixed with romance. I enjoyed the plot and managed to not skip the romance parts :-) Overall, the book is setup in a well-thought through steampunk world; this is the 3rd book I am reading in the series and I will want more, likely.
Tina
Jul 10, 2015 Tina rated it liked it
ms bookjunkie

Finally, a reason for Tom/Nell not happening. That better be resolved in the next book!
Karen Gatenby
May 20, 2014 Karen Gatenby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
Excellent series. Just bought yesterday and had to sit down and read it today. Not a wet that you can put down once you start reading. Can't wait for Elephants and Ethers to come out next.
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Shinlori
Shinlori rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Sunshine Gonzalez
Sunshine Gonzalez rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Paloma
Paloma rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Kraken King and the Greatest Adventure (Iron Seas, #4.8; Kraken King, #8)
  • Diana's Hound (Bloodhounds, #4)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
  • Like Clockwork
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices #4)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
Cindy Spencer Pape has been, among other things, a banker, a teacher, and an elected politician, though she swears she got better. She volunteers in environmental education, when she can fit it in around writing. She lives in Michigan with her husband, two teenage sons, a dog, a lizard, and various other small creatures, all of which are easier to clean up after than the three male humans.
More about Cindy Spencer Pape...

Gaslight Chronicles (10 books)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • Ashes & Alchemy (Gaslight Chronicles, #6)
  • Ether & Elephants (Gaslight Chronicles, #8)
  • Gaslight Chronicles Box Set 1: Steam & Sorcery\Kilts & Kraken\Moonlight & Mechanicals (The Gaslight Chronicles)
  • Gaslight Chronicles Box Set 2: Cards & Caravans\Ashes & Alchemy\Dragons & Dirigibles (The Gaslight Chronicles)

“can help Mrs. Ritchie.” The housekeeper” 0 likes