Start by marking “Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan #1)” as Want to Read:
Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan #1)

Read Excerpt

Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,261 Ratings  ·  379 Reviews
On the morning before her 67th death, it is business as usual for Jesse Sullivan: meet with the mortician, counsel soon-to-be-dead clients, and have coffee while reading the latest regeneration theory. Jesse dies for a living, literally. As a Necronite, she is one of the population’s rare 2% who can serve as a death replacement agent, dying so others don’t have to. Althoug ...more
Published March 4th 2014 by Timberlane Press (first published March 1st 2014)

Robin (Bridge Four)
3.75 Necronite Stars

This was an unexpected surprise. I almost never get freebees from Amazon because…well I’m snobby and my reading time I usually spend with books I know I’ll probably like and I’ve been burned by doing that before. But I had a free spot to fill with a buddy read and so I picked it up.

The good thing was I REALLY LIKED IT. I read quite a bit of fantasy. It is my go to and so I also read a lot of Urban Fantasy. What I enjoyed about this is that it is different. SO DIFFERENT from e
Dianne
Feb 27, 2017 Dianne rated it really liked it
Should we laugh? Should we cry? We ARE talking about a story of death, over and over and over for one necronite who dies so others may live when their time is up. Yep, there’s a new paranormal being in town and they are “dying” to be read about! Kory M. Shrum’s DYING FOR A LIVING is about humans born with a special gift, the ability to rise from the dead, kind of like zombies, but with all of their parts intact and no human body parts on the menu. But wait, there’s more, they make a living dying ...more
Abigail
Jan 28, 2014 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Somehow this lovely book fell from library heaven into my lap. I cannot even remember how, but I believe it was the author looking for people who read her genre. Suffice it to say I lost my mind into the happy zone of awesomeness which is the book.

I love Urban Fantasy reads and like other people have said the one thing which has happened, just like with zombie reads (yes this is an important thing to mention in conjunction with this book), the fact is the genre has reached the “been there done
Yodamom
Sep 30, 2015 Yodamom rated it liked it
Shelves: new-authors, zombies
Yes Yoda time:
What a fresh take on the zombie experience. These zombies don't crave brains they take your death, for a price.
So there you are at you favorite psychic and she tells yo that you are going to die on blah blah day. What is a living breathing person to do ? Call for a zombie replacement to take your death, (DUH) pain and all while you walk away a little broke but warm and alive.
It's so easy, except it's not.There are church groups that believe this is against god. Radicals who really
Tara Smith
Jan 31, 2014 Tara Smith rated it it was amazing
Dear Random Person Casually Perusing Reviews To Determine What To Read Next:

Don't skip this book. Seriously. I'd say you'd regret it, except the tragedy is you'd never know how much there is to regret in not reading this. It's a delight, a lark, a profundity, a mystery, a muse. You've never read a story like this, but when you finish you'll wonder why you didn't ALWAYS know this story was out there to be told. From pacing to voice to plot, Shrum *gets* story.

Trust me. Read it.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Zombie... nope, sorry, Necronite!, 'replacing' dying people, saving their lives. Unusual premise. New ideas are rare in UF, so this was welcome, despite being a Kindle freebie. I haven't had a lot of luck with those and therefore had low expectations.

It wasn't spectacular writing, but pretty entertaining. Different from my usual fare. Surprisingly serious tone at times, although it started off pretty snarky. It took some unexpected turns as well.

A few well done info dumps. The science was a bit
Sharon
Feb 10, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this book or author until the crazy Cabin Goddess Kriss Morton came banging on my Facebook wall about an urban fantasy I had to read. Based on the cover I probably wouldn’t have given it much thought, but Kriss was so insistent and the blurb sounded interesting enough I thought why not?! Talk about a gem in the rough! The rough is the cover and the inside is pure magic. I devoured this story.

When reading a first person it's the voice of the character that has to grab you and
Dennis
Jan 30, 2014 Dennis rated it it was amazing
Haven't been this excited about a new author since Cherie Priest.

Instantly loved the writing style. I think what I liked most about it is how authentic she writes. So many times I thought, that's the type phrase I've heard people say in that situation before. Or I have said.

Look forward to listening to Kory tell me more stories.

The characters make you care about them. Interesting worldview and storyline.

EDIT:
Wanted to add, what's so exciting for me about finding a new author like Kory or Cherie
Edlira Dibrani
Jan 09, 2016 Edlira Dibrani rated it really liked it
A very interesting and thoughtful story by Kory M. Shrum. Enjoyed every moment of reading it.
Kelly
Nov 29, 2014 Kelly marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
***DNF at 46%***

Liked the first 20% then I started to lose interest so I'm moving on.
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
I didn't read the back of this book so I had no idea what I was getting myself into when Kory sent it to me, but right after a couple of pages I was hooked.

A zombie, excuse me, necronite, as the main character? How unique!

And our protagonist Jessi, is altogether likeable. Her two love interests, although forming the proverbial love triangle which I often shy away from, were also likeable and interesting in their own ways. And they both mattered to the movement of the plot.

Mystery, sex, murder, p
Taylor Knight
Apr 24, 2015 Taylor Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this book before but when I seen a friend had read it and loved it, I wanted to check it out right away. I wasn't sure what to expect but I had fairly high hopes. Dying for a Living definitely surpassed expectations.

Right from the being, this book caught my attention. The main character, Jesse, is so funny and sarcastic. She's
independent and kicks a lot of butt. I've never read a book with a character like Jesse. I really enjoyed her as a character.

The concept of this book i
Tara
May 17, 2015 Tara rated it it was ok
Without all the bi sexual relationship crap this book would have been so much better. Their screwed up love triangle was just frustrating and made me not like this story as much.

I think what pissed me off most about their love triangle was that it didn't even add to the story at all. This book would have been much better off without that crap. Why couldn't Ally just be her childhood friend and Lane be her friend as well? Or just make Lane the love interest. The whole childhood friends but now w
E.G. Manetti
I'm not a fan of zombies, but - as Jesse insists - necronites aren't zombies. In a near future a genetic quirk has 1 in a million people born with the ability to regenerate after death. It's brain driven, so serious head trauma can't be reversed. Even more importantly, necronites can use their abilities to save someone dying. They die in the process, but then regenerate. In this brave new world, the government oversees the business of 'death replacement', where psychics foresee a death and necro ...more
a_tiffyfit
Full review to come soon, but KINDLE.BRUISER. Loved this! So unique!
**************************
This book doesn't even come out until March! I've been frustrated with amazon for no reason because I wanted to gift a copy to a friend of mine! Hahaha, I feel like a fool. I had requested a copy from the author for a Read & Review and I loved it! Obviously, right, since I was trying to find a copy for my friend whose birthday is today.

While this does have "Zombies" in it, don't you dare use that
Caragh Murphy
May 06, 2015 Caragh Murphy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I liked the concept, but would have liked a bit more background on the Necronite phenomenon. Of course the pov character, Jesse, isn't exactly the type to have that knowledge at her fingertips, either. I'd also have liked more background on the Church - personally I only have a basic understanding of the history of the various (major) christian schisms, but I honestly can't conceive of this reunion of sects ever happening - the zombies were more realistic. And what about the other major faiths o ...more
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`
Mar 01, 2016 Aure `Reading With The Dark` rated it really liked it
Actually not a bad start for a new series. There was lots going on, so many things to be explained because of the uniqueness of the story, but I think the Author managed quite well. However I felt that there was something missing, some spark. Maybe just for me, but I was expecting much more. All and all this was a pleasant read. I didn't loved it, but I liked it.
Usually if I start a new series with more than one book already published I'd go and read the next one.. but.. I think I'll take a lit
Ailyn
Feb 01, 2014 Ailyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
First part of a fun urban fantasy where Jesse Sullivan the zombie *ahem* necronite works as a dying substitute. While Jesse's attitude towards the whole thing is a little bit harsh, even though she gets paid, I have to admit dying again and again is not a very fun thing to do.

So when someone tries to kill her off for good, Jesse sets to find out who and why. The ending is a good surprise. I was pleased to find that people can still surprise me. Oh well.

And don't BEG for a review, BUY and SUPPORT
Jade
Dec 21, 2015 Jade rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I've gone through the reviews expecting to see some 3/5 and 4/5, however I am happily mistaken. It seems everyone loves this book as much as I do, it was fast paced, brilliant humour, a pug for Christ sakes!
The only reason why I didn't give this a 5/5 was because at the beginning it didn't hook me, don't get me wrong it's a great plot but about a quarter way through i didn't think "okay I need to read more" because it didnt hook me (at the time). But once the ball got rolling it had everything
Sherri Moorer
Jul 17, 2015 Sherri Moorer rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! Fast paced, intriguing characters, full of suspense, and imaginative. I couldn't out this book down. A definite winner, and highly recommended.
Kelsey
Feb 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
I was hooked on page 1. I read the first chapter on Shrum’s blog (here) and was clambering to read the rest. Although I had a lot of questions, Dying for a Living met my expectations.

Jesse is a zombie—sorry, Necronite—whose job is to die on others' behalf. She comes back to life, they pay her company a stately fee, and everyone’s happy. Right? Except that dying causes the body to break down, Jesse’s started seeing an angel, and someone wants to kill her, permanently.

I was captivated with the con
Mia
May 14, 2014 Mia rated it it was ok
Set in a world where `necronites' sacrifice their lives for pay in a profession called death replacement, Dying for a Living is gripping, and sexier than it sounds. Jesse is a death replacement agent -- don't call her a zombie, it's rude -- which means that she can take the place of the dying (for a hefty sum) and then come back to life.

That world isn't very different from our own; there's no distracting new tech or flashy devices, just the present reality of Jesse's work, and its broader social
Lorna
Mar 07, 2014 Lorna rated it it was amazing
I found this book a couple of days ago and it was so different and readable that I could not put the book down. When the premise of a book causes me to ignore my huge “to be read” pile, you have to know I loved it.
Jesse Sullivan is a rarity in this world that the author has created. She is what is known as a Necronite, or as some people call her-Zombie(just don’t let her hear you call her that!). Jesse works for an agency that does death replacement. In other words, she takes the place of the pe
A.B. Shepherd
Jan 29, 2014 A.B. Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Okay so this book isn't even going to be released until March 4th, 2014 but I was very graciously provided a review copy free of charge from the author - who is a really lovely, friendly woman by the way. She also just happens to be from Michigan - where I grew up and lived most of my life.

For me, genre is sometimes hard to define. Someone called this a zombie book - another called it urban fantasy. Someone else called it science fiction. There is a strong mystery element. I guess it is all of t
Mike Billington
Nov 24, 2014 Mike Billington rated it it was amazing
Jesse Sullivan dies.
A lot.
Possessed of the ability to die and then return to life, she works for a government agency that regulates what has become - in the true spirit of capitalism - a highly lucrative 'death replacement' industry. In effect, she dies so that others might live.
And she gets paid to do it.
In 'Dying for a Living' author Kory Shrum has created one of the most unique heroines in the history of literature: A woman who is special in a very unusual way. Her ability to die and then com
Mihaela
Wow! I loved it! The synopsis doesn’t do it justice.

Jesse’s job is to die for other people. The psychic predicts the time of death and the client pays her to replace him. Those like her are very rare, they are called Necronites and not everybody is happy about their existence. The government wants them under their control again and the Church wants them dead. Like permanently dead.

What starts out like a normal job turns into a giant mess and Jesse is almost killed for real. But that is just the
Eunice
Jan 01, 2017 Eunice rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, adventure
I started reading this without any expectations. I did not expect to like this book very much, but I did.

The basic concept of the book is that there are these people who have a gene in them that enables them to "resurrect from the dead" after dying (as long as their heads aren't chopped off) and also to prevent people's deaths by replacing their deaths and dying for them. Those that replace deaths under government's orders are called death replacement agents. Though they have to go through the u
Olivia-Savannah Roach
Oct 07, 2014 Olivia-Savannah Roach rated it it was amazing
YOU GUYS THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING GO READ IT RIGHT NOW
*ahem*

As I was going to say, I loved every single aspect of this book. Yes. It blew me away! It was something new for me because I have never read a book including zombies, so this was a new concept to me. But the way they were used here, and the whole idea of this book was just dripping originality. I have never read a book like this one before, which makes me love it all the more. On top of that, it was amazingly well written, funny and deserv
C. Erani Kole
Feb 02, 2014 C. Erani Kole rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

One of the first things that drew me into the story was Jesse herself. She was a young woman with a sarcastic streak but an attitude that never left her with a boring day. I thought this was a great story because on top of a cool heroine, she's a Necronite- someone who can come back from the dead by a mutant gene that allows her body to regenerate from almost anything. This is also one of the things that marks her as a target for
Advanced Copies f...: Giveaway: Dying for a Living! 1 8 Oct 07, 2014 10:14AM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway: Dying for a Living! 1 6 Oct 07, 2014 10:14AM
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • The League of Doorways (Doorways, #2)
  • The Tegen Cave
  • Claimed by the Enemy
  • Follow the Crow (Vanished, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • Run (The Hunted #1)
  • Death Embraces (Mortis, #2)
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Special Offers  (Coursodon Dimension #1)
  • Death by Didgeridoo (Jamie Quinn Mystery #1)
  • Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Kick (Jenkins Cycle, #1)
  • The Blood of Brothers (Sycamore Moon #2)
Award-winning author Kory M. Shrum lives in Michigan with her wife and their ferocious guard pug, Josephine. Kory is a big fan of naps, caffeine, books, socks, traveling, and noodles.

She's a proud member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Horror Writers of America and the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse, where she's known as Conquest. She's the author of the Dying for a Livin
More about Kory M. Shrum...

Jesse Sullivan (6 books)
  • Dying by the Hour (Jesse Sullivan, #2)
  • Dying for Her (Jesse Sullivan, #3)
  • Dying Light (Jesse Sullivan #4)
  • Worth Dying For (Jesse Sullivan #5)
  • Dying Breath (Jesse Sullivan, #6)

“I was a terribly simple girl when it came to problems and my plate was so full the vegetables were falling off.” 3 likes
“Jesse?” A small sheepish voice asked.” 2 likes