Start by marking “Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of Worship” as Want to Read:
Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of Worship

Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of Worship

"Daddy, I'd like you to meet my children."

That's Robbie Castleman's attitude about taking her children to church. She believes that Sunday morning isn't a success if she has only managed to keep the kids quiet. And she knows there's more to church for kids than trying out their new coloring books. Children are at church for the same reason as their parents: for the privile
Published February 3rd 2013 by IVP Books (first published November 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting in the Pew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting in the Pew

Kelty
Oct 26, 2016 Kelty rated it liked it
A bit patronizing a times but there were many helpful nuggets in this book, both practical and philosophical. I appreciated the reminder that my children are more capable of grasping matters of God than I likely give them credit for and that being intentional in preparing both them and us properly for worship will reap benefits.
ACTerrebonne
Nov 02, 2016 ACTerrebonne rated it it was amazing
This book was interesting in that it got me thinking of ways to incorporate my children in congregational worship. The author supported her reasoning for including children and gave examples of how to worship with children. Great book for parents who are looking to do more than just keep their kids quiet in worship services.
Apr 23, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
There were a lot of good tips in this book but I believe Divine Service is God serving us, not worship as something we do for God, so we didn't see eye to eye on quite a few things.
I also read it to try to get some tips for church with toddlers....and she didn't even recommend keeping kids in church til age 4 which saddened me greatly. It just wasn't really the book I was looking for, although I could tell she was a good mom, worked hard in the pew and raised godly children.
Oh another thing th
Emily
Feb 25, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
There is a reason why this is the most widely circulated book in children's ministry circles. Castleman speaks words that every parent needs to hear - both constructive and encouraging - as they raise children in church. Somewhere along the road, we lost the drive I parent in the pews. I hope we can rekindle the passion she writes about so eloquently in this book. A must read for every church person and particularly every church parent.
Debbie
Mar 22, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. While not agreeing with everything, it gave me new ideas and ways to think about teaching my child to worship God, not just go to church. I hope I can bring this to life in our church with like minded parents who want to help their children have a relationship with Christ and not settle for being therapeutic moral deists.
Mary Ann
May 31, 2015 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Highly recommend for parents who desire their children to build a relationship with God. You don't have to agree 100% with everything she says to see that there is great wisdom and insight in her approach to parenting in the pew.
Chris
Jan 05, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
Very informative!!

This is THE book for instruction in guiding your children in worship. Parents who wish to worship with their children can benefit greatly from reading this book. I highly recommend!!
Erin
Feb 09, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Great resource for giving parents both a vision but also practical tips to invite kids into the worship of God, not just sitting still and quiet
Ashley
Jul 09, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Love the premise - that we need to teach children to worship instead of just to sit quietly. But not a lot of practical advice beyond "just do it."
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2015
Keri
Keri rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Courtney Willis
Courtney Willis rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Jessica Asbell
Jessica Asbell rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Luann
Luann rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Amie Geyman
Amie Geyman rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
J.S. Farland
J.S. Farland rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Aprille
Aprille rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Keith Svetlik
Keith Svetlik rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Natethegreat
Natethegreat rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Elaine H
Elaine H rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2015
Karyne Norton
Karyne Norton rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Chad Chisholm
Chad Chisholm rated it did not like it
May 17, 2015
Devon Kauflin
Devon Kauflin rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Shawna Bloom
Shawna Bloom rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016

“In many of our modern, sophisticated congregations, children are often viewed as distractions. We tolerate children only to the extent they promise to become "adults" like us. Adult members sometimes complain that they cannot pay attention to the sermon, they cannot listen to the beautiful music, when fidgety children are beside them in the pews. "Send them away," many adults say. Create "Children's Church" so these distracting children can be removed in order that we adults can pay attention.
These professors at Duke University conclude their point by noting,
Interestingly, Jesus put a child in the center of his disciples, "in the midst of them," in order to help them pay attention.... The child was a last-ditch effort by God to help the disciples pay attention to the odd nature of God's kingdom. Few acts of Jesus are more radical, countercultural, than his blessing of children. (Nashville: Abingdon, 1989, p. 96)”
0 likes
“However, it may come as a surprise to know that in the Hebrew language the word for "service" is the same word used for "worship.” 0 likes