Start by marking “Lifelines: Kate's Story” as Want to Read:
Lifelines: Kate's Story

Lifelines: Kate's Story

In this women's fiction novel, a recently widowed therapist begins to put her life back together, but tumbles into an ethical nightmare that embroils her in an inflamatory situation that threatens her career, her life, and that of the man she's falling in love with.

Kate Taylor hasn’t had a good night’s sleep since her husband David died. It doesn’t help that David’s dog,
Published July 20th 2013 by Muse Creations Inc

To ask other readers questions about Lifelines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifelines

Linda
Mar 19, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
I've read several of Vanessa Grant's books but have to admit that this one is my favorite one of all.

It is a wonderfully told story, well written with a very likable main character, Kate who has recently lost her husband. He was the love of her life and she is having a hard time coping without him. Their daughter to me was a bit selfish in so many ways. She seemed so cruel to her mother until she needs her. Then there is Kate's mother. She is a very self centered woman that always blamed her dau
Amy
Oct 29, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it
Have you ever gotten a free ebook and felt like you were ripped off? If this is something you'd like to experience this emotion you might enjoy LIFELINES: KATE'S STORY.

First the positives:
-Kate, the main character, isn't completely unlikable. She has some positive qualities.
-The book was free
-Interesting

A few negatives:
-Kate was a horrible therapist. The writer, Vanessa Grant, may have done a little research or might have had personal experience, but she missed the mark in making the sentences
Louise
Oct 16, 2014 Louise rated it did not like it
I loved a previous Vanessa Grant book and when this was free with really high ratings I couldn't wait to read it .... worst book I think I've ever picked up, abandoned at about 30%, I just can't read any more!!
Michelle Kuehl
Oct 23, 2016 Michelle Kuehl rated it it was amazing
Good read

Good storyline. Complicated coincidences. Death can surely wreak havoc on ones life. Great story about the struggles involved in moving on after loosing a loved one.
Kate
Nov 13, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Kate is a counselor whose husband of 25 years has died. Her daughter is away at college and isn't on speaking terms with her, except when she needs money. Her mother lives three hours away, and they don't get along either, but her mother is showing alarming signs of memory lapses and questionable use of her money. There's also an old dog named Socrates who seems to live up to his name: He knows who the good people are.

A new client comes in and wants Kate to counsel her and her husband. Mostly s
Kathryn Lynn
Mar 29, 2014 Kathryn Lynn rated it it was amazing
Compelling women's fiction.

The writing in Lifelines: Kate’s Story is excellent, the characters complicated and very human, which makes them especially interesting. Kate Taylor is trying to recover from loss of her husband but feels judged on every side—even by Socrates her dead husband’s dog. As she struggles to give her life new order and energy, she finds herself colliding with her daughter, her mother, and a self-centered patient. She is lost, directionless; it’s easy to relate to her deep se
Annette
Irene Marie Dawson
Oct 09, 2014 Irene Marie Dawson rated it it was amazing
Counselor heal thyself.

coming to terms with the death of someone you love when you are a counselor should be easy,after all,you know the right words to describe the feelings you are having,but somehow it just doesn't seem to be working. When Kate makes a friend who can aid in her salvation she is tormented to find a conflict of interest could destroy the progress she has made.When it leads to attempted murder she has to make a decision that could crush her hopes for happiness.
Suzanne Beiner
Mar 28, 2015 Suzanne Beiner rated it really liked it
Just finished an engrossing book that was totally different from what I normally read. It was a free Kindle book - one of the first ones that I really loved. Intriguing, real and flawed characters, interesting inner thoughts of a psychiatrist treating her patient while she has problems of her own. Very unique story, and kept me thinking all the way through.
Diana
Oct 08, 2015 Diana rated it it was ok
This novel had real promise, but the weird dialogue was simply too much to award more than 2 stars. How many 18 year old girls call their married lover "darling". Even the main character at 50, sounded like she was 75 or 80. The female characters were all mentally deranged to a degree & the men were all strong & virile...a tired romance formula.
Karen
Oct 26, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
This book didn't grab me until I was a bit into it, but in spite of having a generic plot, it was a good suspenseful read and the characters were well developed. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a tight suspenseful plot or women's literary fiction. I' like to give it another 1/2 star.
Connie Schroeder
Nov 02, 2015 Connie Schroeder rated it it was amazing
A GREAT READ!!

Loved this story with all its intricacies. It has such an authenticity about it, characters making lots of mistakes, just like real life. Perhaps Rachel was a little stereotypical, and then again maybe not. I have known people that were very Rachel like. Thanks and kudos to the author!
Sherry
Oct 27, 2014 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Great reading

I really enjoyed the book. Never one to read a mushy romance, I was skeptical about it at first. But with the unfolding crime(s) it made out to be a good storyline. Loved how the dog was the protector.
Marcia Silva
Oct 09, 2014 Marcia Silva rated it really liked it
Quick reading, emotional characters showing the complicated communications between mothers, daughters, grandmothers, and everyday living . For those of us with parents who left us at a young age it was good to see that I'm not the only one who wanted "answers" but will never get them.
Linda Doyle
Jan 14, 2016 Linda Doyle rated it liked it
Kept my interest with good leading character and some mystery to an engaging plot. As a dog lover, I especially enjoyed the main character's wise pet, Socrates. The bad guy (and bad gal) were shallow but kept the story moving.
Jamie D.
Nov 28, 2014 Jamie D. rated it liked it
Overall, I liked the story (I do prefer happy endings), but I felt too much of it was predictable. This is not normally the type of book I read, so my opinion is more from a thriller reader standpoint. I don't think the read was a waste of my time, and it did exceed my expectations.
Kathy
Nov 11, 2014 Kathy rated it did not like it
My motto: Life's too short to read mediocre books. I stuck with this more than 25% through and just couldn't waste any more time. It jumps clumsily from neurotic character to neurotic character and I didn't care about any of them.
Aly
Nov 30, 2014 Aly rated it liked it
Slow at times but generally and enjoyable story with some excitement towards the end. I enjoyed the counselor aspect to Kate and seeing how all of her relationships evolved over time. Socrates was definitely a highlight in the book as well as how the other characters reacted and spoke to the dog.
Jacqueline
Oct 14, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Loved the way the characters developed. As well, like the fact that the author realized long explicit sex scenes were not needed as story enhancement.
Kathy Bittinger
Jan 31, 2015 Kathy Bittinger rated it it was amazing
I don't know about the so-so reviews - I enjoyed this book. It kept me interested. I'll read more from this author.
Peg Blair
Oct 10, 2014 Peg Blair rated it it was amazing
A page Turner

couldn't put it down. I knew what was coming, but I had to go there anyway.
great read for a rainy day!
Kathy
Jan 24, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
This book was frustrating because I found the story line and characters interesting, but the writing subpar. All in all, I enjoyed it but won't be looking for more of this author's work.
Cindy
Dec 16, 2014 Cindy rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this book. Too much minutia getting into what may be the plot. I did not finish reading this book because I have many more that are waiting that must have more of a story.
irene ledlow
Nov 26, 2014 irene ledlow rated it really liked it
Deep and worth the time

I was hooked from the start. Well written, quick moving. Sorry to see it go. Will try more from this author
Lori Curtis
Oct 11, 2014 Lori Curtis rated it it was amazing
Kate's Story

The story was very interesting. Exciting to read, not knowing what was going to happen next,t. Loved it!!! I would read mms ore books by this author.

Danielle Rastetter
Nov 13, 2014 Danielle Rastetter rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

I enjoyed the character development and storyline. Near the end it was difficult to put the book down. Worth the read.
Lynda Phillips
Jan 15, 2016 Lynda Phillips rated it it was amazing
New author to me. . . Great read

I really liked the characters in this story and liked the realness of the things that transpired. It was a lot like real life!
Susan R Janssen
Nov 21, 2014 Susan R Janssen rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!!

This book was one of those books you just did not want to put down. A little action and a love story, what could be better.
Jean
Jean rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2014
Tasha
Tasha rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
  • Here Among Us
  • Nine Months
  • Raising John
  • Buying Time (Legacy #1)
  • The House's Money
  • Preschooled
  • Snow Soldiers
  • Parked
  • The Awful Mess
  • Tasting Home: Coming of Age in the Kitchen
  • The Five Sisters
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Death in a Summer Colony (Ray Elkins Thriller Series)
  • The Perfect Family
  • Counterpointe
  • Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating
  • A Year at 32 September Way
  • Dialogues of a Crime
201742
"I love writing fiction - it's the perfect occupation for someone who can't decide what they want to be when they grow up. With each new story, I get to explore a new world."

Vanessa Grant's love affair with writing fiction began during a protracted illness at the age of 12 when she decided to write a novel of her own, sitting up in bed using the typewriter she'd been given for her birthday. Not a
More about Vanessa Grant...

“You know you have a problem when you do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.” 0 likes
“When in doubt,” she said, “do nothing.” 0 likes