Start by marking “Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Ken Blanchard's phenomenal bestselling classic The One Minute Manager explores the skills needed to become an effective self leader. Now, Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager clearly and thoroughly reveals how power, freedom, and autonomy come from having the right mind-set and the skills needed to take personal responsibility for success.

In this captivating business
Published May 24th 2005 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager

Tyler Neyens
The starting point for the leadership journey. You must be able to lead yourself before you can lead others.
Ezrah
Feb 13, 2011 Ezrah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You
Recommended to Ezrah by: Thyself
"An Assumed Constraint Is A Belief You Have, Based On Past Experience, That Limits Your Current And Future Experiences(33, Blanchard et al.)"
"Acknowledging the power you have gives you a sense of control over your job and your choices (59, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Your Competence Is Low, You Need Direction; When Your Commitment Is Low, You Need Support (79, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Goals Work Out, It Is Usually Because You Instinctively Take The Initiative To Be A Self Leader And Get What You Nee
Brett Bendickson
A very quick few hour read. If you can make it through the contrived after school special you will get a few useful nuggets out if it.
Joshua Nelson
This book came at just the right time for me. I moved into a new position months ago, but never really got the direction I needed. We have a culture of "you get what you ask for," but I didn't know how lost I was. I was square in the D2 Disillusioned Learner phase and needed to read about how to ask for help. While this book could be easily summarized, the journey as you read is what makes the information relevant. It probably took less than 3 hours to read and make notes.
I love this method of
Emily Leathers
Another business parable. Makes the most sense if you've also read Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership. The One Minute Manager doesn't seem to have been necessary to understand this, and I think this is a big step from the contents of that book and so can't replace it.

The explanations in this book were mostly sub-par for the other books I've read in this series, which was unfortunate. The authors gave fewer 'how do I use this' examples t
Mark
Modern management babble. Now we will all run through the halls hand-in-hand. We will get promotions, raises, and by next year we will be running the company. Yes, I am known at the office as the cynic.

The self-leadership model is not completely without merit, but it approaches things as if we just buck up and be positive, then everything will be all right. It doesn't take into account that there is more in the world than just a good attitude, and it doesn't fix everything. I suggest you find th
Aaron Raphael
The author paints a very real-life scenario of helplessness and inadequacy at work and how to get out of it by first and foremost, being able to lead yourself. Some of the concepts discussed are truly simple yet powerful. One of the better reads in the series.
Shiau Long
The lessons behind the book are really amazing and it shares very complicated insight in being a better manager or team player in an easy read.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ever felt trapped at work.
Jenny Bee
a fast read for work. okay concepts but nothing mind blowing or new to me. Definitely would recommend for people just starting to manage/lead people and or people looking to elevate their leadership
Sigurd Magnusson
Simple, useful ideas on taking responsibility, being a good team player, and self-leadership, that everyone should read, implement, before heading on to more ambitious reading. Super easy and quick to read.
Derek
For such a compact book, it packs a principle punch. This is my second book of Ken's in the One Minute Manager series and I am thankful for the ideas the books have sparked, and the advice I've provided on the subject since reading them. I thoroughly enjoy his parable format and can't wait to read more.

This one is about the learning process, with whatever you're undertaking. At various stages, we require a different type of supervision (this means if we supervise others, we'll know how to better
Mr. Z
These One-Minute books are getting a little redundant, but still, I appreciate the overall theme of the series. It takes minute-to-minute, situational adjustments, in both your leadership approach, and in your understanding of how different people react differently in different situations, to maximize the results you can get from different teams of individuals. Certainly, you can get stronger results from people by taking the time to think about and understand where they are coming from and how ...more
Eric Rickey
This has some colorful diagrams that go along with what was taught in Leadership and the One Minute Manager. Somehow, the other parts of this book haven't quite caught my interest enough yet though. Maybe it's because I've read quite a few other books about "self-leadership" that I find more engaging and that I'm still working with.

One, for example, is The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Doug
I thought it was interesting that, upon hearing I was reading this book, somebody asked, "So you're taking the manager path, huh?" This book is not about acting in a managerial role, but instead understanding that "we need" self-leadership to accomplish our goals.

While the story can be a bit...cheesy...at times, it certainly helps one understand how to relate some of the concepts to their own personal situations.
Abner Huertas
Un libro interesante sobre tres formas de actuar como un ejecutivo: en el establecimiento de objetivos, dar alagos y reprimendas de forma acertiva tratándo de sacar lo mejor de nuestros colaboradores.

En forma de metáfora, el libro puede leerse en menos de una hora, entretenido; Sin embargo no entrará en la lista de mis favoritos.
Karen
Steve, advertsing executive comes to realize the power of taking responsibility for his situation and not playing the victim. Steve is in danger of losing his job but soon learns power, freedom and autonomy comes from having the right mindset. Have read other books from the "One minute manager..." series that were a LOT better!
Chris
This is a clever little book that teaches some basic management techniques and rules that allow you to become a self-leader, to understand what you need to get the job done and to know how best to get the support you need. It's an easy read, and it's quite entertaining, and the lessons are valuable for today's workplace.
Cynthia
This is one of those business parable books. It’s a very quick read, with abnormally large print. And one of the characters is a magician. (I couldn’t help but feel I was reading a young adult novel). That said, the story was interesting and the content was good, even though the writing itself was not.
steven
A generally good book on self-leadership and taking responsibility for one's own success. The lessons are relayed through a story about a struggling account executive and a mysterious magician / self-help guru. You must take the story with a grain of salt, but the message is applicable and interesting.
Stan
As the only book in the one minute manager series I have read, it sufficently covers the major points of the cirriculum. I have taken two of the workshop classes and found this to be great supportive and remonstrative material. The story line also tied the major points together rather well.
Capt.
Read this book in one setting and it delivers it message without too much fluff. A lot of good concepts how how to take control your situation when leading a group. The lessons taught in the book can be applied to any situation in life. Nice Read.
Jacqueline
Sep 26, 2007 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all those in leadership
I have read a few leadership books while in school, but this one that was recommended to me recently was hands-on to what is going in my life right now.

Very quick read and I usually take forever to read.
Noha
It's way better than the One Minute Manager ( which was very basic )
Again, there was a lot of unnecessary details ( fiction parts )
but I liked the coaching and mentoring parts
Joan Nehls
I think this will be a great book for my direct reports...can't wait for them to read it. I bought this book for each of them to teach them how to be self-leaders.
Tom Armstrong
Read for work because it was assigned. Pretty corny, but there are a few good lessons in it. It only takes about 45 minutes to read, so probably worth it.
Kristen Barnhouse
Terrible. Attempts to be like "who ate my cheese" but with elementary, transparent, simplistic "lessons". Reads as corny as an 80s sexual harassment video
Tessa
Mar 29, 2012 Tessa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: home
Great book written for the business world but I read it to improve the systems in my home and homeschool. Quick and easy to read; it will help you THINK.
Ivo Stoykov
As usual clear, short, sharp to the point. Worth to apply these ideas both in personal and professional aspect. Highly recommended reading.
Surendra Vaidya
Excellent book. Enjoyed thoroughly! There are many 'aha moments' in this book!
Would keep it as permanent reference book.
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • One Minute For Yourself (One Minute Manager)
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Influence Without Authority
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua ...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership