Start by marking “Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership” as Want to Read:

Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership (One Minute Manager)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Ken Blanchard's phenomenal bestselling classic The One Minute Manager explores the skills needed to become an effective self leader. Now, Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager clearly and thoroughly reveals how power, freedom, and autonomy come from having the right mind-set and the skills needed to take personal responsibility for success.

In this captivating business
Published May 24th 2005 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager

Tyler Neyens
The starting point for the leadership journey. You must be able to lead yourself before you can lead others.
Feb 13, 2011 Ezrah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You
Recommended to Ezrah by: Thyself
"An Assumed Constraint Is A Belief You Have, Based On Past Experience, That Limits Your Current And Future Experiences(33, Blanchard et al.)"
"Acknowledging the power you have gives you a sense of control over your job and your choices (59, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Your Competence Is Low, You Need Direction; When Your Commitment Is Low, You Need Support (79, Blanchard et al.)"
"When Goals Work Out, It Is Usually Because You Instinctively Take The Initiative To Be A Self Leader And Get What You Nee
Brett Bendickson
A very quick few hour read. If you can make it through the contrived after school special you will get a few useful nuggets out if it.
I enjoyed reading this book and took away several points to apply to my current situation. If you're interested in leadership or enjoy reading books on leadership, I think you'll enjoy as well. It is written in narrative, which may be somewhat of a turn-off. But, the points made easily make up for this potential criticism. The model of self-leadership provided is worth analysis and evaluation. Two dimensions of this model include Supportive Behavior and Directive Behavior, which made a lot of se ...more
Samer Chidiac
I do enjoy the One Minute Manager series; the book is probably a great companion when you are traveling.

The Style of this non-fiction book written in a fiction story environment would make you get engaged in both the story and how you can apply what you will learn.

Although it's originally published in 1976, I felt that its values can be applied today as they were back in those days.

Highly recommended.

Joshua Nelson
This book came at just the right time for me. I moved into a new position months ago, but never really got the direction I needed. We have a culture of "you get what you ask for," but I didn't know how lost I was. I was square in the D2 Disillusioned Learner phase and needed to read about how to ask for help. While this book could be easily summarized, the journey as you read is what makes the information relevant. It probably took less than 3 hours to read and make notes.
I love this method of
Emily Leathers
Another business parable. Makes the most sense if you've also read Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership. The One Minute Manager doesn't seem to have been necessary to understand this, and I think this is a big step from the contents of that book and so can't replace it.

The explanations in this book were mostly sub-par for the other books I've read in this series, which was unfortunate. The authors gave fewer 'how do I use this' examples t
Modern management babble. Now we will all run through the halls hand-in-hand. We will get promotions, raises, and by next year we will be running the company. Yes, I am known at the office as the cynic.

The self-leadership model is not completely without merit, but it approaches things as if we just buck up and be positive, then everything will be all right. It doesn't take into account that there is more in the world than just a good attitude, and it doesn't fix everything. I suggest you find th
Aaron Raphael
The author paints a very real-life scenario of helplessness and inadequacy at work and how to get out of it by first and foremost, being able to lead yourself. Some of the concepts discussed are truly simple yet powerful. One of the better reads in the series.
It is important to lead ourselves before we can expect others to follow us. Thus, understanding our own strengths and weaknesses we can better prepare ourselves and our team to be successful. This brief tome illustrates these points quite well.
Shiau Long
The lessons behind the book are really amazing and it shares very complicated insight in being a better manager or team player in an easy read.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ever felt trapped at work.
Jenny Bee
a fast read for work. okay concepts but nothing mind blowing or new to me. Definitely would recommend for people just starting to manage/lead people and or people looking to elevate their leadership
My inner editor must penalize this business fable 1 star for some continuity issues, and another for its style, however the information and wisdom it contains it brings my rating back up to 4 starts.

This builds on the ideas of Situational Leadership in a different context and the overarching fable is quite good at illustrating the different developmental needs we all have in our careers and lives at different stages. I thought this Blanchard book did a better job of explaining what "Enthusiastic
The situational leadership concept itslef is very valuable. The story that drives the books however was bit corny and long winded. Without it the book would have been 10 pages.
Sigurd Magnusson
Simple, useful ideas on taking responsibility, being a good team player, and self-leadership, that everyone should read, implement, before heading on to more ambitious reading. Super easy and quick to read.
For such a compact book, it packs a principle punch. This is my second book of Ken's in the One Minute Manager series and I am thankful for the ideas the books have sparked, and the advice I've provided on the subject since reading them. I thoroughly enjoy his parable format and can't wait to read more.

This one is about the learning process, with whatever you're undertaking. At various stages, we require a different type of supervision (this means if we supervise others, we'll know how to better
I liked the principles, but the story telling was a little childish for a management book.
Mr. Z
These One-Minute books are getting a little redundant, but still, I appreciate the overall theme of the series. It takes minute-to-minute, situational adjustments, in both your leadership approach, and in your understanding of how different people react differently in different situations, to maximize the results you can get from different teams of individuals. Certainly, you can get stronger results from people by taking the time to think about and understand where they are coming from and how ...more
Chelsea Vieira
good book, don't judge a book by it's cover!!
This has some colorful diagrams that go along with what was taught in Leadership and the One Minute Manager. Somehow, the other parts of this book haven't quite caught my interest enough yet though. Maybe it's because I've read quite a few other books about "self-leadership" that I find more engaging and that I'm still working with.

One, for example, is The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Great book and an easy read.
I thought it was interesting that, upon hearing I was reading this book, somebody asked, "So you're taking the manager path, huh?" This book is not about acting in a managerial role, but instead understanding that "we need" self-leadership to accomplish our goals.

While the story can be a times, it certainly helps one understand how to relate some of the concepts to their own personal situations.
Abner Huertas
Un libro interesante sobre tres formas de actuar como un ejecutivo: en el establecimiento de objetivos, dar alagos y reprimendas de forma acertiva tratándo de sacar lo mejor de nuestros colaboradores.

En forma de metáfora, el libro puede leerse en menos de una hora, entretenido; Sin embargo no entrará en la lista de mis favoritos.
Steve, advertsing executive comes to realize the power of taking responsibility for his situation and not playing the victim. Steve is in danger of losing his job but soon learns power, freedom and autonomy comes from having the right mindset. Have read other books from the "One minute manager..." series that were a LOT better!
This is a clever little book that teaches some basic management techniques and rules that allow you to become a self-leader, to understand what you need to get the job done and to know how best to get the support you need. It's an easy read, and it's quite entertaining, and the lessons are valuable for today's workplace.
This is one of those business parable books. It’s a very quick read, with abnormally large print. And one of the characters is a magician. (I couldn’t help but feel I was reading a young adult novel). That said, the story was interesting and the content was good, even though the writing itself was not.
A generally good book on self-leadership and taking responsibility for one's own success. The lessons are relayed through a story about a struggling account executive and a mysterious magician / self-help guru. You must take the story with a grain of salt, but the message is applicable and interesting.
As the only book in the one minute manager series I have read, it sufficently covers the major points of the cirriculum. I have taken two of the workshop classes and found this to be great supportive and remonstrative material. The story line also tied the major points together rather well.
Read this book in one setting and it delivers it message without too much fluff. A lot of good concepts how how to take control your situation when leading a group. The lessons taught in the book can be applied to any situation in life. Nice Read.
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Quick Team-Building Activities for Busy Managers: 50 Exercises That Get Results in Just 15 Minutes
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • One Minute For Yourself (One Minute Manager)
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Influence Without Authority
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Fumbling the Future: How Xerox Invented, Then Ignored, the First Personal Computer
  • The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing
  • Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen
  • Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work (The One Minute Manager)
  • Talking with the One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The One Minute Manager Gets Fit
  • One Minute Manager Salesperson
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership

“Empowerment Is Something Someone Gives You. Self Leadership Is What You Do To Make It Work.” 0 likes