Start by marking “Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way” as Want to Read:
Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Thanks to the low-carb movement and the updated USDA food pyramid, we all know we should be eating more whole grains (the "good carbs"). But what exactly are whole grains? And how can we make them not only what we should eat, but what we really want to eat? In "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way," bestselling cookbook author Lorna Sass demystifies whole grains with a thorou ...more
Published November 7th 2006 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way

Kara Smith
I lost my copy of this book, but thats ok.
There are a lot of different grains out there, I would never have tried if it weren't for this book. Teff, amarynth, polenta, hominy, kasha, were all mysteries to me before this book.

I tried many recipes, and what I liked about them is I could use a different grain if I don't like the one featured, or if you can't find it locally (most stores just don't carry kamut, wheatberries, and spelt). I also liked the authors tip, of cooking a big batch of grain
Stephanie
This cookbook has wonderful information on the gamut of whole grains, and I'll want to check it out from the library again. But I am a vegetarian and while I sometimes want to find good recipes that contain meat to make for my husband, this book seemed too meat-heavy for me to want to own.
Nizzy
This is a pretty solid resource for those looking to incorporate whole grains into their diets beyond the usual brown rice and rolled oats which most of us are already familiar.

The Whole Grains 101 section is worth seeing even if you aren’t into the recipes. Sass gives a profile on each grain; identifying the various forms (flour, flakes, whole, etc), cooking methods, refrigeration/storage, and compatible foods and flavors. At first, I wondered how much I could trust the cooking methods listed
Rukshana
So I was motivated to read this cookbook because I always get stuck staring at the bulk bins in my fave health food stores wondering what the difference is between pearled barley and hulled barley, or why there are so many different wheat berries!

This book does a really good job of dividing the grains into their respective families and discussing the different forms of the same grain. For example, I never understood the difference between steel-cut oats and rolled oats until I read this book! Sa
Robert Beveridge
Lorna Sass, Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way(Clarkson Potter, 2006)

Interesting combination of cookbook and whole-foods guide, this opens with a lengthy section describing an imposing number of whole grains and what one can do with them, then gets to the recipes. You've seen most fo the recipes before in other configurations, but unless you're a hardcore foodie, you've probably never thought of making some of the substitutions here. I mean, who even knew a grain called Job's Tears existed? And t
AJ
Considering how meat-centric this book is, I think the target audience would do well to get some extra fiber in their diets by way of the whole grains featured in this book! (Seriously, even some of the pancake recipes call for bacon. Gross.)

I was hoping that this cookbook would give me (a vegan) some ideas for incorporating some more whole grains into my white pasta and white rice centered diet. Although I was turned off by a lot of the flesh-centric dishes, I did get a few good ideas from this
I cannot rate this book fully yet, as I tried only two recipes or so while I had it rented from the library, but the author is VERY thorough on her explanations of different grains, where they come from, how to cook them etc. I plan to purchase this cookbook for staple grain recipes. One other thing of note, many recipes appear to have quite long ingredient lists, of things that you wouldn't nec. find in my pantry, and that is a detractor, but the foundation information for each grain would be w ...more
Audra
This is probably the best healthy cookbook I've ever come across. The author has helpful hints throughout the book to make this style of eating easy to do. The first part explains each of the whole grains she includes, one by one, and gives basic instruction on how to cook, store, and sometimes freeze the different grains. Then come the recipes, and we have enjoyed all the ones we've tried. If it wasn't so darn expensive, I would buy it and mark it up like a textbook!
BeccaJane
Definitely the best book about grains I've read. Very clear and easy to understand. I might have to purchase this for future reference. I don't think I'll be trying very many of the recipes in it though, which is why I had to give it 4 instead of 5 stars. I actually prefer to eat my grains and vegetables more plainly, with just some salt, so the recipes were all a little too much for my tastes.
K. East
Excellent book on whole grains. First quarter of book gives extensive introduction to various whole grains, how to select them, store them, cook them. Rest of the book offers numerous recipes, divided into common divisions -- soups, main courses, side dishes, breakfast & brunch, and desserts -- that help you incorporate whole grains into your life in a tasty and uncomplicated way.
Susan Howson
Pretty good! So far, everything I've made has been delicious, I just wish there were fewer recipes involving meat. It seems a little counterintuitive to be so into the health that whole grains provide but based the majority of your recipes around meat. But, since whole grains are largely ignored in a lot of my cookbooks (criminal!), I'm excited about this book anyway.
Debra
This is a great introduction to a variety of grains. A few years ago I would have been lucky to have heard of 10% of these items, but now many are on your grocer's shelves and the other are available at the specialty food markets that have popped up. Much information on the grains themselves and how to cook them and a selection of recipes to use them.
Meredith
Mom has a bag of quinoa that she doesn't know how to use, so grabbed this from the library hoping to find some inspiration. It's got a few quinoa recipes, as well as several unique recipe ideas for other whole grains--I want to try the "wheat berry salad with apple and mint" and the "quinoa cake with crystallized ginger".
Amy
Oops, I think I reviewed the wrong whole grains book first time around!! This is one I will be buying to keep as a reference in the kitchen since I never quite know what to do with whole grains. It gives information about choosing, storing, and cooking them as well as including some interesting-looking recipes.
Elizabeth
Most of the recipes were way out of my price range, but the Italian soup with farro (I used wheat berries), cannellini, and kale made the whole book worth reading. Also, the author provides instructions for cooking each specific grain, which I found especially helpful.
Lindsay
Interesting facts on grains and some recipes I would really like to try! (Others, not so much). Spelt chocolate chip cookies so there is finally something to feed my gluten-free friend, and beef and barley stew...yum!
Susan
Excellent resource for cooking whole grains, including lots of helpful cooking methods & times, plus charts that list possible variations of a grain (for example: corn - popcorn, grits, hominy, etc.)
Sarah Zimmerman
Tells you about different kinds of grains and how to cook, store and buy them. Also has some great recipes. Quinoa (KEEN-wa) is my favorite grain, very good for you too!
Shawna
Wondering about different whole grains and ways to cook them? This is your book. Great section on each grain and the "best" preparation methods.
Michael
A fantastic book, loaded with everything you need to know about grains. The recipes are all delicious!! Definitely a go-to cookbook for me.
Elizabeth
Skimmed this. Lots of interesting info and some recipes that look good. Maybe one I'd like to own.
Millicent
I wish there were more vegetarian recipes...there were quite few for a book about grains.
good primer on whole grains. i particularly like the charts for cooking times.
Sara
Lots of great recipes using all sorts of whole grains!
Michelle
Fabulous research and recipes!
Eryn
Easy , helpful info on whole grains!
Sherri
This has turned us into farro fans!
Courtney
Yummy and good for you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • 5 Spices, 50 Dishes: Simple Indian Recipes Using Five Common Spices
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
The New Vegan Cookbook: Innovative Vegetarian Recipes Free of Dairy, Eggs, and Cholesterol Whole Grains for Busy People: Fast, Flavor-Packed Meals and More for Everyone New Soy Cookbook : Tempting Recipes for Soybeans, Soy Milk, Tofu, Tempeh, Miso and Soy Sauce New Soy Cookbook/P Pre-Raphaelite Dream/P