Start by marking “I Leap Over The Wall ” as Want to Read:
I Leap Over The Wall

I Leap Over The Wall

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published March 15th 2007 by Barlow Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about I Leap Over The Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Leap Over The Wall

Jane
I read this about 52 years ago, is my best guess. It made a tremendous impression on me for then, you see, women basically didn't leave convents. If they did, no one certainly ever wrote a book about it.

What is amazing is that I clearly remember the night a girl I heard of had entered the convent in Fort Madison. My high school girlfriend, Theresa, and I were very struck by being told this by her mother, as we were happily eating chips and drinking Pepsis. Of a sudden, we realized that all such
Tara
This is an autobiographical novel covering the first couple of years after Baldwin left an enclosed order during WW2. There are interesting (brief) insights into the life of enclosed orders pre-Vatican 2. However, for the most part the story is fairly hum-drum and dull. Baldwin refers to her Uncle, the Prime Minister and her family generally on a number of occasions and I wondered if perhaps this book had greater appeal in the 40's and 50's because of the associated 'celebrity'. I barely got to ...more
Sandyscroll
Monica writes about her life with honesty, highlighting the many contrasts she experienced. She shows foolhardiness and wisdom, weakness and strength, fear and courage, joy and sadness, but mostly of her (and our) ability to make huge changes to life, whatever and whenever that may be. She entered the convent in 1914, just as the first world war began. Her emergence from the enclosre she had chosen, 28 years later in 1941, left her facing not only the immense difficulties of life during the seco ...more
Hoyadaisy
I read it out of interest in enclosed monastic life, and she certainly does provide information, but it's woven into the main story of how she adjusted to life after the convent. This is interesting too, at first, as her struggles happen during WWII and give and interesting picture of that time. Eventually though, the book devolves into jobs she didn't get, or got and didn't like, and relatives she stayed with. I skimmed the last 1/3.
Sonia Gomes
I felt terribly sad when I read this book.
Monica Baldwin never criticizes the Convent where she spent her entire youth. I only wish she had left the Convent at the age of 27 when she began to think she had made a mistake, somehow she waited another 18 years, but she did leave and wrote a memoir, that I call courage.
Angelo Love
Nov 12, 2010 Angelo Love marked it as to-read
Title in Portuguese: Saltei o Muro - Mónica Baldwin
(trad_Teresa Leitão de Barros)
(Tavares Martins ed., 1962)
Lisboa

- A book about the abandonment of the vote.

- Paper veneer and read a little.

Note.
I leap over the wall – Mónica Baldwin
Kim
Jun 23, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: modern
I really adored this book. Her vision of her peers, her history and struggles, and ultimate decisions are fascinating. It doesn't have a wide enough audience, but I think it's really a jewel.
Clark
Candid, thoughtful, and unique. Provides a clear glimpse of a very closed world.
Maggie
Nov 27, 2009 Maggie marked it as to-read
recommended by book lust.
Amy Foulkes
Amy Foulkes marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Mery Lentini
Mery Lentini marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Diana180
Diana180 marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Peter Bentie
Peter Bentie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Marjon Faas
Marjon Faas marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Brenda Tower
Brenda Tower marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Marusamarento
Marusamarento marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jim H
Jim H marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Called and the Chosen Goose in the Jungle I Leap Over the Wall I Leap Over the Wall