Start by marking “I Leap Over The Wall ” as Want to Read:
I Leap Over The Wall

I Leap Over The Wall

Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published March 15th 2007 by Barlow Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about I Leap Over The Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Leap Over The Wall

Susanne Timpani
Monica Baldwin writes about her experience of exiting an enclosed convent in 1941, after twenty-eight years. Life in the middle of war-torn England couldnt have been more different than the world as she knew it in 1914. No news of the progressing world enters the convent and she stepped out in a radically changed environment. Alone, without relevant skills to offer employers, and essentially homeless, her experience is heart breaking. What is surprising is that her love and dedication to her Cat ...more
Jane
Jan 03, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
I read this about 52 years ago, is my best guess. It made a tremendous impression on me for then, you see, women basically didn't leave convents. If they did, no one certainly ever wrote a book about it.

What is amazing is that I clearly remember the night a girl I heard of had entered the convent in Fort Madison. My high school girlfriend, Theresa, and I were very struck by being told this by her mother, as we were happily eating chips and drinking Pepsis. Of a sudden, we realized that all such
Tara
Jan 03, 2015 Tara rated it it was ok
This is an autobiographical novel covering the first couple of years after Baldwin left an enclosed order during WW2. There are interesting (brief) insights into the life of enclosed orders pre-Vatican 2. However, for the most part the story is fairly hum-drum and dull. Baldwin refers to her Uncle, the Prime Minister and her family generally on a number of occasions and I wondered if perhaps this book had greater appeal in the 40's and 50's because of the associated 'celebrity'. I barely got to ...more
Sandyscroll
May 05, 2013 Sandyscroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monica writes about her life with honesty, highlighting the many contrasts she experienced. She shows foolhardiness and wisdom, weakness and strength, fear and courage, joy and sadness, but mostly of her (and our) ability to make huge changes to life, whatever and whenever that may be. She entered the convent in 1914, just as the first world war began. Her emergence from the enclosre she had chosen, 28 years later in 1941, left her facing not only the immense difficulties of life during the seco ...more
Jen Wong
Aug 16, 2015 Jen Wong rated it liked it
I have read it before, and remembered it as being good. It started off great, life as a nun is fascinating. But soon it gets tiresome, especially all the sections unnecessarily in French.
Hoyadaisy
Jul 17, 2013 Hoyadaisy rated it liked it
I read it out of interest in enclosed monastic life, and she certainly does provide information, but it's woven into the main story of how she adjusted to life after the convent. This is interesting too, at first, as her struggles happen during WWII and give and interesting picture of that time. Eventually though, the book devolves into jobs she didn't get, or got and didn't like, and relatives she stayed with. I skimmed the last 1/3.
Sonia Gomes
I felt terribly sad when I read this book.
Monica Baldwin never criticizes the Convent where she spent her entire youth. I only wish she had left the Convent at the age of 27 when she began to think she had made a mistake, somehow she waited another 18 years, but she did leave and wrote a memoir, that I call courage.
Ian Carpenter
May 13, 2016 Ian Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how, I don't know why but three memoirs by ex-nuns have knocked me out. Nuns are bad-asses. The level of self-exploration and testing they go through is huge. The challenges they face to realize they need to leave are immense. And those they face re-integrating in normal life could be crippling.
Angelo Love
Nov 12, 2010 Angelo Love marked it as to-read
Title in Portuguese: Saltei o Muro - Mónica Baldwin
(trad_Teresa Leitão de Barros)
(Tavares Martins ed., 1962)
Lisboa

- A book about the abandonment of the vote.

- Paper veneer and read a little.

Note.
I leap over the wall – Mónica Baldwin
Kim
Jun 23, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern
I really adored this book. Her vision of her peers, her history and struggles, and ultimate decisions are fascinating. It doesn't have a wide enough audience, but I think it's really a jewel.
Clark
Aug 13, 2013 Clark rated it really liked it
Candid, thoughtful, and unique. Provides a clear glimpse of a very closed world.
Kate Reilly
Why wouldn't I like this book lol
Maggie
Nov 27, 2009 Maggie marked it as to-read
recommended by book lust.
Sarah David
Sarah David rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Lila Tania
Lila Tania marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Jennifer Allen
Jennifer Allen rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Susana Lima
Susana Lima marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
May 10, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Doris
Doris rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
X-626
X-626 rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
FDS
FDS marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016