I Leap Over The Wall

I Leap Over The Wall

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published March 15th 2007 by Barlow Press (first published 1949)

Jane
I read this about 52 years ago, is my best guess. It made a tremendous impression on me for then, you see, women basically didn't leave convents. If they did, no one certainly ever wrote a book about it.

What is amazing is that I clearly remember the night a girl I heard of had entered the convent in Fort Madison. My high school girlfriend, Theresa, and I were very struck by being told this by her mother, as we were happily eating chips and drinking Pepsis. Of a sudden, we realized that all such...more
Sandyscroll
Monica writes about her life with honesty, highlighting the many contrasts she experienced. She shows foolhardiness and wisdom, weakness and strength, fear and courage, joy and sadness, but mostly of her (and our) ability to make huge changes to life, whatever and whenever that may be. She entered the convent in 1914, just as the first world war began. Her emergence from the enclosre she had chosen, 28 years later in 1941, left her facing not only the immense difficulties of life during the seco...more
Hoyadaisy
I read it out of interest in enclosed monastic life, and she certainly does provide information, but it's woven into the main story of how she adjusted to life after the convent. This is interesting too, at first, as her struggles happen during WWII and give and interesting picture of that time. Eventually though, the book devolves into jobs she didn't get, or got and didn't like, and relatives she stayed with. I skimmed the last 1/3.
Sonia Gomes
I felt terribly sad when I read this book.
Monica Baldwin never criticizes the Convent where she spent her entire youth. I only wish she had left the Convent at the age of 27 when she began to think she had made a mistake, somehow she waited another 18 years, but she did leave and wrote a memoir, that I call courage.
Angelo Love
Nov 12, 2010 Angelo Love marked it as to-read
Title in Portuguese: Saltei o Muro - Mónica Baldwin
(trad_Teresa Leitão de Barros)
(Tavares Martins ed., 1962)
Lisboa

- A book about the abandonment of the vote.

- Paper veneer and read a little.

Note.
I leap over the wall – Mónica Baldwin
Kim
Jun 23, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: modern
I really adored this book. Her vision of her peers, her history and struggles, and ultimate decisions are fascinating. It doesn't have a wide enough audience, but I think it's really a jewel.
Clark
Candid, thoughtful, and unique. Provides a clear glimpse of a very closed world.
Maggie
Nov 27, 2009 Maggie marked it as to-read
recommended by book lust.
Marnie Wellar
Marnie Wellar marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
FoxInTheSnow
FoxInTheSnow marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Kyrie
Kyrie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ladytal
Ladytal marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Sydney Meredith
Sydney Meredith marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Debbie Kim
Debbie Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Lindsay Magness
Lindsay Magness is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2013
Kitsa
Kitsa marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013